Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I previously point out that Christian denominations such as SDAs do not proclaim something about all humans being spirit brothers that lived before being born on earth.

I know of no apologetic for Christianity that relies on all humanity being "pre-existent spirit brothers" that came to earth.

That might be because you haven't see it in historic biblical Christian history, that is full of it, as links provided earlier shows.

If you have a denomination in mind - let us know which one it is. I only see the LDS group teaching that idea and I have found it impossible to get the missionaries they send out - to find it in the BoM.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

RestoredGospelEvidences

Jul 27, 2013
✟15,229.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
But NT in particular and Christians in general did just that:

Leviticus 11:10-19 - (6) "But anything in the seas or the rivers that has not fins and scales, of the swarming creatures in the waters and of the living creatures that are in the waters, is an abomination to you. They shall remain an abomination to you; of their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall have in abomination. Everything in the waters that has not fins and scales is an abomination to you."

Yet Christianity gets rid of the conception of unclean food. Most Christians I know here in the buckle of the Bible belt could not live without their catfish and shrimp!

Interesting point. It may be argued that we all like to pick and choose what we call good for us & an abomination.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
But you are missing the point. You do not have God telling the Jews in Lev 11 or the Christians in the NT 'I know I said that eating rats, cats, dogs, bats was an abomination - but now I command you to eat those rats,cats,dogs,bats".

Here is what it does say:

"Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:

10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,

11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:

12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.

13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven."

Acts 10.

But if you insist:

http://www.godhatesshrimp.com/

Upvote 0

Theway

Nov 25, 2003
California
✟1,874.00
Faith
Mormon
Interesting point! Curious, what are your sources for this?
On July 20 1833, the printing press for the Evening and Morning Star, and the first Book of Commandments was destroyed and the type scattered. A printing press to replace it was set up above a school house and was used to print several Latter Day Saints’ Messenger and Advocate and the Elders’ Journal. This was burnt down by a mob Jan. 16, 1838. There were reports that mobs tried to destroy the 1st edition Book of Mormon Printing Press but were unsuccessful... stopped as by miraculous means.
There were other examples, however ironically when I went to look them up, all anybody seemed interested in was the Nauvoo Expositor...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,

11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:

12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.

14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

Acts 10.

But if you insist:

http://www.godhatesshrimp.com/

God was in no way advocating the eating of the unclean here--common misconception for those who want to do what ever they want. The following verses explain this as, at first, even Peter didn't know what that vision meant.

(Act 10:17) Now while Peter doubted in himself what this vision which he had seen should mean, behold, the men which were sent from Cornelius had made enquiry for Simon's house, and stood before the gate,
(Act 10:28) And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
BOM Jacob 2:30, allows for a virtuous form of poligamy: "For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things." The whole sermon in Jacob 2 is about the problems caused by those in the Old Testament times that took poligamy to extremes, thus cases like Solomon & David are mentioned.

Perhaps not the best example, because aside from the very famous example of David and Bathsheba, kings like Solomon and David did not take multiple wives because they had runaway libidos. They took them because that was how alliances were made in antiquity. That is why Solomon in particular takes foreign wives. In some ways, these wives served as hostages.

Poligamous prophets like Abraham, & others aren't, despite how they could be vilified too, under said distorting tactics, (Gen. 16:1-6). Poligamy is part of Jewish, Christian, Mormon, Muslim, & other religious histories.

Not so much Christianity because the polygamy was against Roman Law. Besides, early on celibacy was considered the ideal Christian life. In Islam polygamy was allowed but never the ideal.

David knows he's going to hell, but has the hope that the Messiah will one day descend to raise him up out of hell.

In the Tanakh sheol is merely the grave. It is not what Christians typically consider hell.

But my question remains, do you think monogamy or polygamy should be the ideal?

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
God was in no way advocating the eating of the unclean here--common misconception for those who want to do what ever they want. The following verses explain this as, at first, even Peter didn't know what that vision meant.

True, but when added to Paul's insistence that the Law was no longer binding on Christians all these food taboos went away.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
True, but when added to Paul's insistence that the Law was no longer binding on Christians all these food taboos went away.

"no longer" eh? ;)

You are no longer bound to my lease with my apartment complex, smaneck. You've been freed!

Reactions: Niblo
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure what it does mean. How about explaining it to me as clearly as possible?

"If God permits polygamy, and it is handled in a fashion that is truly equitable for and respectful to all parties, then fine. Otherwise, it's not the preferred situation and so should be avoided."

As a personal example, I'm descended from a plural family. My ancestor only took each subsequent wife after being asked to by Brigham Young himself; according to BY, there weren't enough men in his area who could be proper husbands, and so he didn't want to leave sisters to be single. It was my ancestor's first wife who pushed him into it, on each occasion noting that having additional people around would mean being able to split the household duties: my ancestor was a trained land surveyor who was constantly being asked to help establish new settlements, and this meant a lot of hard work getting homesteads operational. The three wives he eventually had were all treated equally, and no discord emerged until after his death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
"no longer" eh? ;)

You are no longer bound to my lease with my apartment complex, smaneck. You've been freed!

LOL. I get your point. The issue for the early Christians was not so much whether gentiles should follow the Mosaic Law (James pointed to the Noahide laws, instead) but whether Gentile and Jewish Christians should be accepted as equals. Paul's point was that Christians, whether Jew or Gentile, were no longer bound by the Laws of the Torah.
But hey, if you've got a reasonably priced apartment to lease in NY, I'll stop eating bacon.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
As a personal example, I'm descended from a plural family. My ancestor only took each subsequent wife after being asked to by Brigham Young himself; according to BY, there weren't enough men in his area who could be proper husbands, and so he didn't want to leave sisters to be single.

And that might well be a reasonable scenario for accepting it under certain conditions. Part of the attraction of Islam in the African-American community is that there aren't enough 'good men' to go around and therefore some women feel there are advantages to polygamy.

It was my ancestor's first wife who pushed him into it, on each occasion noting that having additional people around would mean being able to split the household duties:

That often happens in the Islamic world as well.

The three wives he eventually had were all treated equally, and no discord emerged until after his death.

LOL. Too many children as well as too many wives can lead to that situation. Baha'u'llah, the Prophet-founder of my own religion had three wives as well, but He subsequently wrote only monogamy would bring tranquility. I couldn't help but feel that was the voice of experience, not just revelation.
But I'm curious about the number "three." In Mormonism is there a specific significance to having three wives? I think that comes up in the FLDS.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And that might well be a reasonable scenario for accepting it under certain conditions. Part of the attraction of Islam in the African-American community is that there aren't enough 'good men' to go around and therefore some women feel there are advantages to polygamy.

That often happens in the Islamic world as well.

LOL. Too many children as well as too many wives can lead to that situation. Baha'u'llah, the Prophet-founder of my own religion had three wives as well, but He subsequently wrote only monogamy would bring tranquility. I couldn't help but feel that was the voice of experience, not just revelation.
But I'm curious about the number "three." In Mormonism is there a specific significance to having three wives? I think that comes up in the FLDS.
Not really my great great grandfather had many wives

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, but I think the FLDS says a man should have at least three wives. I'm just curious if any of the Mormons here know where that comes from?

So near as I can tell, this is an FLDS innovation.

As an aside - wife #2 was the daughter of a family friend. She was a seamstress by trade, and had been so busy making wedding dresses for all of her friends that she herself had no time to go courting. She might not have been married otherwise had my ancestor not sought her out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rygaku

Oct 5, 2014
✟15,509.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I just don't get it. I can show you point for point that the doctrine of the Book of Mormon is the same as in the Bible. It is very clear that salvation comes throught the work of Jesus Christ. The BoM says there is no other name under heaven by which we must be saved. It also makes it clear that Jesus is God, even that it was through the power of Jesus that all things were created, meaning that Jesus was not a created being. I know the arguments against the BoM, but they all seem to be contrived and/or straw men. I love the Lord Jesus Christ, and I love the Book of Mormon. I am saved through the atoning work of Jesus Christ on the cross. Everything I believe outside of that are non-salvation issues. Unless you are saying that a wrong belief can negate salvation I don't understand how you can say that a belief in the BoM can negate salvation.

You clearly haven't read the original mormon bible. In the original LDS mormon church and bible it was racist terribly racist.
http://crcmin.org/article_pages/racism_in_mormon_scriptures.html

Upvote 0

Rygaku

Oct 5, 2014
✟15,509.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well I too live in that buckle. And I belong to what Christianity today calls the 5th largest Christian denomination in the world. And we do not choose to ignore Lev 11.

But you are missing the point. You do not have God telling the Jews in Lev 11 or the Christians in the NT 'I know I said that eating rats, cats, dogs, bats was an abomination - but now I command you to eat those rats,cats,dogs,bats".

Rather God says that you may eat that which is approved of in the Word of God in keeping with the true faith that is described in the Bible. If someone should eat the rat sandwich today - they cannot find God telling them to engage in such.

In fact in Is 66 - God predicts that even at the end of time - those who eat mice are not pleasing God by so doing.

Peter says in Acts 10 that the meaning of the symbols in the vision was "call no man unclean" and that it was all about gentile evangelism and not at all about rat sandwiches. He goes on to explain this event 2 more times and every single time he states it as promoting gentile evangelism - and not rat sandwiches.

In fact he states that his response to God on the subject of rat sandwiches was "no" all three times that he was commanded to "Rise kill and eat" -and at the end God tells him to go with the gentiles that were knocking at his door.

This is similar to John 6 where Jesus said "eat my flesh" but not a single one of his followers - bites Christ in John 6. It was a symbol. In Matt 16 he gives them the symbol of bread and they take it too literally - so he slams them pretty hard on that point - "It was the teaching of the Pharisees" that he was speaking about - according to the text --- not literal bread.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

RestoredGospelEvidences

Jul 27, 2013
✟15,229.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
I previously point out that Christian denominations such as SDAs do not proclaim something about all humans being spirit brothers that lived before being born on earth.

I know of no apologetic for Christianity that relies on all humanity being "pre-existent spirit brothers" that came to earth.

If you have a denomination in mind - let us know which one it is. I only see the LDS group teaching that idea and I have found it impossible to get the missionaries they send out - to find it in the BoM.

in Christ,

Bob

If SDAs believe there there is a devil & demons or fallen angels, then they believe in some aspects of the pre-existence drama! Even if they aren't willing to admit that, or reject the other aspects of the rest of the story, & reject earlier Christian doctrines on it, & reject earlier bibles that start with it. Even if also they were to reject thousands of early to later Christian art works that illustrate it. But then, even if they were to also agree with early to later anti-Christians, like Celsus & T. W. Doane, that the doctrine was "borrowed" from pagan myths, or is a silly story. For 2nd century anti-Christian Celsus knew of it being taught by early Christians & mocks the different versions of it that he knew of.

Some of the early to later Christian apologetics that used the pre-existence as part of their defense & answers to early to later anti-Christians, were Justin Martyr, 2nd-3rd cent., John P. Lundy, 19th century Christian, & others. So, Mormon don't hold the monopoly on the doctrine, or beliefs, for there are different versions of it in many cultures, besides historic Christianity. There are also modern studies where it is being discussed too, in Near Death Experiences, NDEs, & Pre-Birth Experiences, PBEs. People, when they've died & returned, like in car crashes, etc., are revived, talk of seeing spirits getting ready or waiting to be born. Or they meet the spirit(s) or future family members, or children they later have, when they return to life. Or they get to see the war in heaven, etc. So in NDE news letters, they say things like, "We are spirits, having physical experiences" here in mortal physical life. Or like what former Atheist, Howard Storm testified, after his NDE: There are worlds out there in the universe, where spirits go to learn things in the physical on different types of levels of school type worlds.

Early to later Christains believed in the pre-existence, others, just parts of it, others rejected some parts, held to other parts. Some got talked out of beliefs in it. It was later rejected during the council of Constantinople 553 AD, or at least Origen's versions of it. It was illustrated in earlier bibles, thousands of art works, & eventually legendized in other areas of historic Christianity. In time, it became strange stories & interesting myths, about gobblins, trolls, underworld demons, like in Lord of the Rings. Or like in Russian folklore, the dark creatures that haunt the forrests, streams, lakes, or water spirits, and caves or underworld creatures, are the fallen angels that fell down deep into the underworld.

As for LDS missionaries, they are often young 19-22 year olds, who haven't yet learned what LDS scholars have discovered in their studies of ancient histories. This is not to say that many of them have not read the works of such scholars or professors. But, heres a bibliography on how the Book of Mormon & historic Christianity contains the beliefs in the pre-existence.

LeGrand L. Baker, & Stephen D. Ricks, Who Shall Ascend Into the Hill of the Lord? in it is a number of references to "the sode experience" where a prophet sees a vision of the council in heaven, etc., (BOM 1 Nephi 1:8-11). Other references to pre-existence themes in the BOM are: 1 Nephi 10:18-19; 11:7, descending out of heaven, like in early Christian art works of Adam, Christ & others descending out of heaven to earth. These are pre-existence themes. 1 Nephi 11:31, references to devils. Lamb of God (Christ) descending out of heaven, 1 Nephi 12:6, 2 Nephi 9:4-16, Christ taking upon himself a body, suffering the atonement in it. References to the complete opposition of deification, or the other extreme-demonification, where if Christ hadn't resurrected us & atoned for our sins, & raised us from hell, our spirits would have become like the devil & we become devils, angels to a devil (demonification). This is illustrated in ritualistic types & color garment symbolism, all over the BOM & Jewish typologies, & in early to later Christianity. It's part of pre-existence themes & typologies, where what happens to garments, or robes, are types of what happens to souls as they journey from heaven & pass through mortal life. As the garment (soul) gains spots, becomes dirty, filthy, stained with blood, these are types of the soul becoming symbolically spotted with sins, until it is blackened (color symbolism). Its through the atonement that the soul is washed, or whitened, (Whitesunday, in historic Christianity), purified of all sins, so it can return to where the soul came from, heaven, (like in The Hymn of the Pearl). Having returned back to the heavenly home, thus cleansed, the soul is spotless before God's judgment, because of Christ. It's not still blackened like the "unclean" spirits & demons, (like in early to later Christian art works of the devil & demons). More BOM pre-existence themes, are Nephi citing Isaiah 14, in 2 Nephi 24:9-19, etc. Plus, how Lehi says he read about an angel of God, that had fallen from heaven, and became the devil. (2 Nephi 2:14-30, note verse 17). There are other examples, such as the brother of Jared seeing the spirit of the Christ before Christ was born, (Ether 3:6-20).

Bibliography:

Alice K. Turner, 1993, The History of Hell, (New York, San Diego, U.S.A.; London, England: Harcourt Brace & Company).

Angelo S. Rappoport, Ph. D., Ancient Israel Myths and Legends, (New York: Bonanza Books, 1987), 3 vols in 1. See the chapter on The War in Heaven.

A. S. Garretson, Primitive Christianity And Early Criticism, (Boston: Sherman, French & Company, 1912).

Carl A. Raschke, Painted Black, From Drug Killings to Heavy Metal—The Alarming True Story of How Satanism is Terrorizing our Communities, (New York, New York: Harper Paperbacks, 1990). Demonification is a popular theme in heavy metal rock music, the reversal of Whitesunday is Black Sabbath, also the wearing of black robes, symbolic of being demonified on the left hand path. Blackened (color symbolism), like the fallen angels & devil.

Chandler Rathfon Post, A History of Spanish Painting, (Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press, 1930—1958). (New York: Kraus reprint Company, 1970's). Numerous examples of pre-existence themes in art.

Colleen McDannell and Bernhard Lang, Heaven: A History, (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1988).

Darell Thorpe, The Pre-existence: Our Pre-earth Life As Spirits In A "Family In Heaven" (1992).

E. A. Wallis Budge, Coptic Apocrypha in the Dialect of Upper Egypt, (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1913), 6 vols.

Ernst and Johanna Lehner, Devils, Demons, Death and Damnation, (New York: Dover Pictorial Archive Series, Dover Publishing Inc., 1971).

Henry Ansgar Kelly, The Devil at baptism: Ritual, Theology, and Drama, (Ithaca and London: Cornell University Press, 1985).

Huge Nibley, Dr. (Series): The Collected Works of Huge Nibley, (Provo and Salt Lake City, Utah: Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies = F.A.R.M.S., and Deseret Book Company). Vol.1, Old Testament and Related Subjects, (1986). Vol.2: Enoch The Prophet, (1986). Volu. 4: Mormonism and Early Christianity, (1987).

J. Eugene Seaich: Ancient Texts and Mormonism, (Murray, Utah: Sounds of Zion, 1983).
The Heavenly Council, Mysteries and Sacred Ordinances, (unpublished research paper).

J. Charles Wall, Devils, (London, England: Methuen & Company, 1904; Detroit: Singing Tree Press, Book Tower, 1968, reissued).

Jeffrey Burton Russell, Satan, The Early Christian Tradition, (Ithaca, London: Cornell University Press, 1981). Lucifer, The Devil In the Middle Age, (1984). The Prince of Darkness, Radical Evil and the Power of Good in History, (1988).

Linda J. Ivanits, Russian Folk Belief, (Armonk, New York & London England: M. E. Sharpe, Inc. 1989).

Louis Coulange (Father Louis Coulange), The Life of the Devil (London, England: Alfred A. Knopf, 1929, translated from the French by Stephen Haden Quest).

Paul Carus, Dr., The History Of The Devil And The Idea Of Evil, From the earliest times to the present, (La Salle, Illinois: Open Court Publishing Company).

R. Joseph Hoffmann, (translator) Celsus On The True Doctrine, (A Discourse Against the early Christians), (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1987).

R. G. Hamerton-Kelly, (Professor of the New Testament McCormick Theological Seminary, Chicago), Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series 21, Pre-Existence, Wisdom And The Son of Man, A Study of the Idea of Pre-existence in the New Testament, (Cambridge University Press; Cambridge, Great Britain, 1973).

Roy Mills, The Soul’s Remembrance, Earth is not our home, (Seattle, Washington: Onjinjinkta Publishing, 1999).

William G.T. Shedd, D.D., A History of Christian Doctrine, (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, third edition, 1883).

Brent L. Top, Life Before Life, (Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft, 1988).

Sarah Hinze works & studies on PBEs.

Terryl L. Givens, When Souls Had Wings, Pre-mortal Existence in Western Thought, (Oxford Un. Press, 2010).

http://restoredapologetics.blogspot.com/2010/02/mormonism-shadow-or-reality-in-historic.html (Scroll down see art works).

Last edited:
Upvote 0