✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Edit. Sorry I misread.

I don't believe John won Christ's affection. I believe Jesus gave it as a gracious gift.

1 John 4:19 - We love because he first loved us.
Is God a respecter of persons? Doesn't it say somewhere "anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him?" So why mention St John and not someone else or all of them for that matter? And while St Peter's great zeal overstepped the boundaries of his human limitations and he suffered that fall, in the end he was selected as the leader of the Apostles. So zeal is a good thing, it just needs the safeguards of humility, which is what set St John apart. There, I answered my own question.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Well, I agree with a couple other posters on the "neither" saying do I like.

But to answer the general question of "What is our relationship to God like? I will answer that.

I was stumbling around lost and unable to help myself. I knew my life was a mess and I knew I needed help. It took a bit on the journey for me to realize that it was only God who could help me and He actually ignited the process of my spiritual awakening before I was even aware of it.

I came to Christianity through "the back door"; so to speak, in that my first real introduction to the concept of a God who could and would help me, came from Al-Anon.

"Came to believe a power greater than myself could (and would) restore me to sanity." Oh boy; did I need restoring to sanity. And in many respects, in a very literal way. Now these convictions came even before I had much understanding of Christianity. Yeah, I knew what public school history books had taught me about this guy named Jesus who started a religion; but I really had no idea what any of that meant.

One summer evening, my Al-Anon ride took me to a Billy Graham crusade and I did the "accept Jesus" thing. I came down to the field on account of the testimony of a quadriplegic who'd simply stated. "Jesus helped me get through 20 years in a wheelchair." And I figured if He could help her through that; maybe He could help "restore me to sanity".

Well, this started my journey into Christianity and about a week later; I'd bought a Bible and started reading it. I didn't really understand any of the theology; but I was really drawn to the idea of a Redeemer who could deliver me from sin. I needed deliverance.

As time went on and I learned more; I finally did come in contact with what is called "calvinism" in theologic speak and the first time I heard "Jesus died for the elect". I asked where that was in the Bible and when they said Ephesians 1 and I read it - I believed it. I knew it was true.

Prior to this though, I was slowly coming to that conclusion myself. I just didn't know enough Bible verses at the time to say - "Hey, that's what that means!" But I was coming to the conclusion that God was the one who was doing the work, not me. So when I heard the doctrine of election. I was ready for it.

Over the course of the years; (it's now been 31 years) I've faced many trials in my life and through those deepest tribulations of my soul; I sensed God was close to me. I kept praying and kept reading and I've learned a lot over the years. (I'm still learning a lot.)

Faith is one of those things, I've discovered that people tend to put the cart before the horse. Obedience and faith are a consequence of being awakened and that awakening is a supernatural work.

God doesn't have to awaken any of us and there's no reason He should want to take me under His care. He did though and that is a very humbling and overwhelming thing to think about. I like humble and overwhelmed though. I feel loved and I'm eternally grateful for that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me (if needed) but this song --

Now, I'm very comfortable though to know that God has complexity, or better, is just truly above us (not only sort of) -- so is above our understanding, by nature. (Isaiah chapter 55)

See, about why we'd not be humble, I'd more trust in the revealed things in the Gospel of John than our suppositions. (this is why I say "forgive me" (if needed))

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Justasurvivor

Mar 5, 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟12,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Forgive me (if needed) but this song --

Now, I'm very comfortable though to know that God has complexity, or better, is just truly above us (not only sort of) -- so is above our understanding, by nature. (Isaiah chapter 55)

See, about why we'd not be humble, I'd more trust in the revealed things in the Gospel of John than our suppositions. (this is why I say "forgive me" (if needed))

man either I have been watching too many videos or there could be a message played backwards
I don't know for some reason I feel like it's written all over it just my opinion, I do like the song though

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pelagius said something similar.
Funny, but there aren't 2 people in the world that think the same, and often rarely do people really have that amazing ability to see into someone's heart I've found. God can, but not you or me. :)

We aren't more or less than what God has made us. But, I do wish I could communicate better, be more effective in saying what I mean.

I was thinking though about your question in post #1.

Would we be able to have our hardness of heart broken, our pride broken, if God had not done for us what Christ did, the amazing act of love?

It's very hard to imagine if it had not happened -- would one convert to Judiasm, or not, without Christ having come? I cannot know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Would we be able to have our hardness of heart broken, our pride broken, if God had not done for us what Christ did, the amazing act of love?

It's very hard to imagine if it had not happened -- would one convert to Judiasm, or not, without Christ having come? I cannot know.

I think the Bible is pretty clear on that one. We need new hearts given to us by the Holy Spirit whom Christ pours out upon us.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the Bible is pretty clear on that one. We need new hearts given to us by the Holy Spirit whom Christ pours out upon us.
We do agree on that, definitely. Rahab and Ruth though -- we should expect them to be in Life. But did God specifically change them, or where they as He made them to begin with, able to convert?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We do agree on that, definitely. Rahab and Ruth though -- we should expect them to be in Life. But did God specifically change them, or where they as He made them to begin with, able to convert?

God changed them.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,487.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Which is it?
  1. "If I humble myself to serve God, then I will be saved and rewarded."

OR

2. "Only if God humbles himself to serve me will I be saved and rewarded."
Please explain your answer.

I've never heard either of these statements in church.

God has no need to humble Himself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,487.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What do you believe God was doing when he became a poor man and died on the cross?

Jesus demonstrated his humility. He did not need to work to achieve any more humility than He already had.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Which is it?

OR

I'm not sure I could totally agree with either option, as many pride themselves in the service of the Lord, not humbly. I've been around the block in some churches, and pride of service is always there with some members.

I kinda look at it like if God loves me then He may save me.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which is it?

OR

Humble one's self to obedience so that sin does not ruin the union.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes Jesus does set the example. But we cannot follow it until we are first cleansed by him, wouldn't you say?
That's true, what I had in mind was mutual submission (Eph. 5:21). Humility usually appears in lists of virtues requisite in the new nature, that are the comminicable attributes of the divine nature (Col. 3:12-14).

Upvote 0