Not open for further replies.

verismo

Apr 23, 2004
✟564.00
Faith
Catholic
Imagine9718 said:
Whats Vulgate? Isint that in Latin?
Yup. St. Jerome's translation of the original text in the 4th century I believe. And the Douay-Rheims is a translation of the Vulgate, I think in the 16th century into English. It is believed by some to be the most accurate translation in English because they believe that the Vulgate is the most accurate translation of all; because St Jerome had the best versions of the original texts, and even in some cases THE original texts to translate with; so no/less copy-errors were involved.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
verismo said:
Yup. St. Jerome's translation of the original text in the 4th century I believe. And the Douay-Rheims is a translation of the Vulgate, I think in the 16th century into English. It is believed by some to be the most accurate translation in English because they believe that the Vulgate is the most accurate translation of all; because St Jerome had the best versions of the original texts, and even in some cases THE original texts to translate with; so no/less copy-errors were involved.
I can't stand English. Read it from Latin and it flows much better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I voted NIV because I use it more often than the KJV. I do have a NKJV but the lettering is so small that I rarely ever use it. I am planning on buying a bigger one before too long. Anyway, I recently bought a HCSB that I am beginning to use more and more. I really love this translation!

Upvote 0

Anti-Fear

Repent Now
Sep 21, 2003
Berkeley
✟16,368.00
Faith
Protestant
I possess: NIV, NLV, NRSV, KJV, NKJV in book format.
I also have many more by using ESword software.

I find KJV and NKJV best for reading. I like their language style. I usually read NKJV, then double check those passages I am not sure about in KJV.

J.A.I said:
I own KJV, NKJV, NIV, and NLT Bibles.. I primarily use my NIV ones.. I have Study Bibles. As far as the NLT, there was a scipture my dad asked me to look up once, and I grabbed my NLT to look it up and it had left out a significant part of the verse. I looked in my KJV and NIV and the whole scipture was in those.. so after that, I have my NLT and KJV Bibles open together while studying. As far as the brands...

NIV Bibles
---
Women of Faith Study Bible
Zondervan Study Bible

KJV
---
Holy Bible

NLT
---
Life Application (very good w/the footnotes)

NKV
---
Woman Thou Art Loosed Bible

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.