Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The admonition to "be the change you wish to see in the world" (often attributed to Gandhi), has implicit within it benefits for mankind. If one heeds this advice, changes their life for the better, aren't they deserving of enjoying those benefits, regardless of not having any discernible effect on the world?

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The admonition to "be the change you wish to see in the world" (often attributed to Gandhi), has implicit within it benefits for mankind. If one heeds this advice, changes their life for the better, aren't they deserving of enjoying those benefits, regardless of not having any discernible effect on the world?
The admonition you speak of is not about changing your life to better yourself, but for the better of all of mankind.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The way you lead your own life and how you treat others, both in person and online, regardless of their position, does have a discernible impact on the world, even if it's on a much smaller and more local scale than grander efforts.

Being mindful and sincerely striving to have the fruit of the Spirit - love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control - does make a difference. What is inside your heart radiates outwards. The simple acts of being polite to the grocery store workers and thanking them, being considerate with your actions and thoughtful of how they impact others, that matters. Taking responsibility for yourself, making sure to clean up your own messes figurative and literal, pay what is owed on time, complete your tasks to the best of your ability, and fulfill your obligations and commitments with a positive attitude - all matters.

How you behave and how you treat others in significantly influences how others behave towards you. Every action has an opposite and equal reaction, so you need to think about your actions. Albert Einstein once said: “I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university.” That's wise. Showing that respect to each person you encounter is being the change you want to see in the world.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hard work might enrich an employer and earn the laborer another paycheck. A little more hard labor broke the worker’s back.

Long distance truck drivers have an average life expectancy of 61 years. Dreams of retirement were time wasted. By the time a person gets old, the strength of one’s youth has passed.

Jesus changed the world for the better, so they nailed him to a cross. Three days later he was back at work.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The admonition you speak of is not about changing your life to better yourself, but for the better of all of mankind.

But if the world doesn't get appreciably better do I return to being like everyone else or do I retain the benefits for myself? Do I put the whole wheat bread back on the shelf and return to eating the white bread?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

By living as a Christian one hope, by example and through conversation, to see people become Christian.
Often we will not see that person become a Christian, but we will in eternity.

Living to change the world is not for our personal benefit.
But for the glory of God.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
By living as a Christian one hope, by example and through conversation, to see people become Christian.
Often we will not see that person become a Christian, but we will in eternity.

Living to change the world is not for our personal benefit.
But for the glory of God.

But we also receive the benefits, and justly so. "Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Long distance truck drivers have an average life expectancy of 61 years. Dreams of retirement were time wasted. By the time a person gets old, the strength of one’s youth has passed.

Perhaps a little less dreaming and a little more planning?

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps a little less dreaming and a little more planning?
Jesus taught, “Sufficient to the day is the evil therein. Do not worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will take care of itself.”

The heavyweight champ Mike Tyson said, “Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." He was talking about his team’s pre-fight strategy planning.

I suppose if I start praying for things to do I might have a better chance of finishing the day without worrying about whether or not I will be able to enjoy my things tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
But if the world doesn't get appreciably better do I return to being like everyone else or do I retain the benefits for myself?
It all depends on why you chose to change your life for the better of all of mankind

Do I put the whole wheat bread back on the shelf and return to eating the white bread?
Depends on why you chose to eat whole wheat bread. It's your choice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesus taught, “Sufficient to the day is the evil therein. Do not worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will take care of itself.”

Best to replace worry with work. Jesus also said to stay busy until he returns.

The heavyweight champ Mike Tyson said, “Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." He was talking about his team’s pre-fight strategy planning.

Then you go to plan B.

I suppose if I start praying for things to do I might have a better chance of finishing the day without worrying about whether or not I will be able to enjoy my things tomorrow.

Are you laid off?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

NeverL0ved

Oct 20, 2019
Brisbane, QLD
✟21,254.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
Change is a inevitable fact of life, because we live in a universe that is metamorphic by nature. Many humans on this planet resist change at such an early age, that when change becomes a matter of necessity, they will fight against the process rather than accept it.

Resisting change ultimately becomes so painful, that the human end's up inhuman :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But we also receive the benefits, and justly so. "Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn."

Only if there is a benefit and even then do we have to claim it?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
But if the world doesn't get appreciably better do I return to being like everyone else or do I retain the benefits for myself? Do I put the whole wheat bread back on the shelf and return to eating the white bread?
It sounds as if you think eating whole wheat bread instead of white bread is a form of righteous self-denial.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Change is a inevitable fact of life, because we live in a universe that is metamorphic by nature. Many humans on this planet resist change at such an early age, that when change becomes a matter of necessity, they will fight against the process rather than accept it.
Just because it is a change does not mean it should be just blindly accepted. Not all change is for the better.

Upvote 0