St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The admonition to "be the change you wish to see in the world" (often attributed to Gandhi), has implicit within it benefits for mankind. If one heeds this advice, changes their life for the better, aren't they deserving of enjoying those benefits, regardless of not having any discernible effect on the world?

Sure. I agree. I believe what goes around, comes around. If you act like a jerk, the odds are you’ll eventually be treated the same way. But when you treat others respectfully and charitably, chances are good that it will be reciprocated.

But even if you don’t directly benefit, doing the right thing should be its own reward.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It accrues naturally, or automatically doesn't it?

I meant just as Paul had the rights of an apostle, he did not always claim them, so we do not have to claim any benefits because of our 'good works' etc.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gandhi didn't actually say "Be the change you want to see in the world." Here's the real quote:

“We but mirror the world. All the tendencies present in the outer world are to be found in the world of our body. If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness. We need not wait to see what others do.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I meant just as Paul had the rights of an apostle, he did not always claim them, so we do not have to claim any benefits because of our 'good works' etc.

How does one shed the benefits accrued through good works?

Upvote 0

whatdoyounkiooo

Jul 20, 2020
houston
✟579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But if the world doesn't get appreciably better do I return to being like everyone else or do I retain the benefits for myself? Do I put the whole wheat bread back on the shelf and return to eating the white bread?
No...you do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Can I do to you as you have done to others?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Jesus taught, “Sufficient to the day is the evil therein. Do not worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will take care of itself.”

The heavyweight champ Mike Tyson said, “Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." He was talking about his team’s pre-fight strategy planning.

I suppose if I start praying for things to do I might have a better chance of finishing the day without worrying about whether or not I will be able to enjoy my things tomorrow.
Worry is an emotion. But planning is an action.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Worry is an emotion. But planning is an action.

True. Planning and vision reduces worry. Being sure of your destination makes the journey easier.

Upvote 0

The happy Objectivist

Jul 3, 2020
Center
✟65,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The admonition to "be the change you wish to see in the world" (often attributed to Gandhi), has implicit within it benefits for mankind. If one heeds this advice, changes their life for the better, aren't they deserving of enjoying those benefits, regardless of not having any discernible effect on the world?
I think it just means that you are the only one you can change so start there work on being a better person and you will be an example for others. My primary purpose for improving myself is for my life and my happiness. Any benefits this has on the world is secondary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a strange take on this quote. I don’t think the admonition is instructing us to only focus our efforts on changing the world for the better while neglecting our own circumstances, but rather to take personal responsibility for catalyzing the systemic changes we believe should take place in the world.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is a strange take on this quote. I don’t think the admonition is instructing us to only focus our efforts on changing the world for the better while neglecting our own circumstances, but rather to take personal responsibility for catalyzing the systemic changes we believe should take place in the world.

Realistically one can only change themselves. I'm a highly organized worker who has been setting an example for my company for over 40 years...to no discernible avail.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Realistically one can only change themselves. I'm a highly organized worker who has been setting an example for my company for over 40 years...to no discernible avail.
Tell it to Gandhi.

Upvote 0