Feb 12, 2004
Greenville, SC
✟16,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Father bless!

Welcome Fr. Raphael, I'm glad you're here. Regarding user names, I have found it pretty common on the internet to choose a name that is not one's real name for privacy reasons, but also to reveal a little something about oneself. My screen name, "momzilla", is something my husband called me in jest shortly after our first son was born. Wherever you see a "momzilla" on the Internet, it's probably me.

Since I was only an inquirer into Orthodoxy when I joined CF (I am now a catachumen), I did not have a chalice name to give. I may change my name when I am chrismated.

--Kirsten

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Welcome, Fr. Raphael. My given name is Janice. I took Katherine as my patron saint when I was chrismated in 2001. I use my baptismal name for security reasons and hopefully, using it may help me to keep from offending people. It's amazing how often I type a post and then don't hit the "post" button. I think having the icon of Christ standing against my computer monitor may help too. Unfortunately, sometimes it doesn't help, and I post things I probably shouldn't.

Janice

Upvote 0

walking.away.123

Mar 24, 2004
None
✟25,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think one reason people use a false name is its more fun. It can be a kind of identity in itself. I live in Taiwan where people speak Chinese, so I chose to add a Chinese word to my name. ShiFu means something like 'master' and 'teacher.' When I was a Republican in America I used GOPBill.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2004
Kansas City area
✟23,771.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
God bless you Father,

I am relatively new here also. I think what momzilla said applies to forum etiquet. When we meet someone in reality, or even on the phone, that person has a voice, or a mode of dress, mannerisms, etc. that would indicate something about themselves. That is not the case in cyberspace, so many people choose a name that reflects something about their personality. If one picks a name that is true to him or herself, maybe then it is not a deception, but instead just a way of revealing a little about ones self that is not readily apparent in this mode of communication.

Greetings all in Christ Jesus, our common hope.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2004
✟143.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Thanks to all for their so kind & thoughtful responses.
Some have asked questions but forgive me, I just back in after getting my cat back (accompanied by a nice supper) from parishioners who were cat-sitting while I was away for a few weeks. It is now quite late where I am & I have a church service tomorrow morning but I will do my best to get back to your posts during the day tomorrow.
God bless to all.
In Christ- Fr Raphael

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We're all cat nuts on this board, so if you have great cat stories, don't hesitate to share them.

In fact, a couple of Anonykat's (and her husband, Moses the Black's) cats, Guido and Mouse, may get a few votes for President/Vice President!

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
katherine2001 said:
We're all cat nuts on this board, so if you have great cat stories, don't hesitate to share them.

In fact, a couple of Anonykat's (and her husband, Moses the Black's) cats, Guido and Mouse, may get a few votes for President/Vice President!

My cat is in the running (well, okay, lagging far behind) for the Guiness Book of World Records for having lots of extra toes...she has 27.

Needless to say her name is: Polly D. Actyle. :D

Upvote 0

Eusebios

Create in me a clean heart O God!
Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fr. Raphael,
Fr. Bless.
Welcome to CF and TAW :wave:. I am a lurker for the most part at Monachos but do recall "seeing " you there. I use my chalice name here at TAW. I used it in combination with my given first name Donald at Monachos and was actually chastised by Fr. Averky (of blessed memory), which I thought somewhat odd. , but then Fr. Averky was quite zealous, and I'm sure well meaning. I am not overly concerned with "security" issues, though I fully understand them and am not critical of those for whom they are very real.
I too hope that you will join us often as I'm sure you're input will be valuable.
His unworthy servant,
The reader Eusebios.
:bow:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 10, 2004
✟143.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Thanks to all once again for their helpful & thoughtful replies. About the use of names I think one of you who wrote, "I think the issue of "no real names" crops up because the world being what it is, a terribly fallen place spinning faster and faster out of control, people here are reluctant to use their real names. I like to think that our little forum is in a very, very small way, like the catacombs of our early, Holy church! :) We are "hiding" out from those who would seek to destroy what we have to share. Okay, maybe it's not that serious...yet...."

summed it up quite well. But how sad and tragic that we have come to this that people have to fear for their security while communicating about Christ & the Church. In this sense it really is a return to the times of the catacombs even though this is a pretty un-hidden (part of the problem with internet) 'catacomb'. This thought especially resonates on this sober day of September 11 and so recently after the tragedy in Beslan Russia. Also on the Old Calendar this is the feast-day of the Beheading of St John the Baptist which is always a fast day. So September 11 (ie Aug 29) will always be a day of prayer & fasting. This is proper for in the past Christian countries (even Protestant countries) would declare a day of prayer & fasting during a time of national tragedy.
As for the question about the elderly priest. Usually the priest himself, the parish, and local bishop would all be considering this situation and the question of a new priest to replace the old. There is not an exact rule about this but normally this is how things are done so that a parish is not suddenly left without a priest.
In Christ- Fr Raphael Vereshack
PS: Funny cat story- in our monastery at St Tikhon's we had a black cat, a rather nice creature. His name was Hesycat. Well at least the monks thought that was pretty funny.

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta

Pie-baking apron-clad hausfrau :D
Jun 22, 2004
Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PS: Funny cat story- in our monastery at St Tikhon's we had a black cat, a rather nice creature. His name was Hesycat. Well at least the monks thought that was pretty funny.
LOL, that is funny! Thanks for sharing that, Father. I'm a dog person, myself.:)

Upvote 0

Tulip

What you eat standing up doesn't count.
Mar 11, 2004
Norway is my country of birth. Canada is my countr
✟8,397.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

It's Gunn P., the perpetual lurker here :wave: . On another forum where I'm a member it's mandatory that we use "real" names. We have a username/handle, but in posting when greeting a person we have to use their "real" name. We also have to sign with our "real" name.

We are free to use pseudonyms, but the pseudonym have to be a genuine name. My "real" name here and on that forum is Gunn Petersen. It's not my name, but it's a genuine Norwegian name.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Father, bless.

Welcome to TAW! I hope you are able to "pop in" now and then and keep us on the straight and narrow. :D

My given name is Mary Lou (Southern girl, you know ;) ) and when I was Chrismated I took the name of Mary (sister of Martha and Lazarus) so that is what I use here and on other Orthodox boards.

Mary

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Fr. Raphael:

Father Bless!

I've been posting here for more than a year and attend a university in California.

Please do come back and answer some of our questions. This forum is one of the largest if not the largest Christian forum on the Internet and many have found Christ our God and the Holy Orthodox Church here; however, some have been tempted to fall from Christianity by arguing with atheists and agnostics- such is the danger of the Internet.

Pray for us sinners.

Respectfully in Christ our God,
Elizabeth (my Chrismation and legal name)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.