What Happened to Nicodemus After His Encounter With Jesus?

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus, of course, had a conversation with Nicodemus about being born again. He told him that one must be born again to enter the kingdom. What is the difference between paradise, the kingdom of Heaven, and the Kingdom of God? Also, did Nicodemus become a saved man after this? Jesus and John the Baptist both called out the Pharisees for their hypocrisy and unrepentant deeds claiming that they knew the prophets when they did not know God or truly lived for and served God as they claim. I know that this is a range of topics but I also know if any of the Pharisees at that period become saved, such as Nicodemus. Whatever happened to him after his conversation with Jesus? Did he change or did he stay an unrepentant Pharisee?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The holy and righteous Nicodemus was a Pharisee who came to hear the Lord by night. After the Crucifixion, he acted as one of the Holy Myrrhbearers. Because of this, he is commemorated on the Sunday of Myrrh-bearing Women, two weeks after Pascha.

In the Gospel of John, he appears three times. The first is the aforementioned encounter, where he visits Jesus in the dead of the night (in order to avoid persecution by the Sanhedrin, the Jewish temple leaders, of which he was a member) to listen to his teachings (John 3:1-21). This meeting, a poignant scene in the Gospel, is where Jesus tells Nicodemus that one must be "born again" in order to enter into the Kingdom of God. The second appearance is in John 7:45-51, where he states the law concerning the arrest of Jesus at the Feast of Booths. Finally, his last appearance is after the Crucifixion where he assists the Noble Joseph in recovering Jesus' body and preparing it for burial (John 19:39-42).

Not much is known outside of John's Gospel regarding the life of St. Nicodemus after the Resurrection. Church tradition states that he was possibly martyred sometime during the 1st Century AD.

Source: Nicodemus the Righteous - OrthodoxWiki

We don't generally judge the salvation of individuals, but Nicodemus showed the kinds of response to Christ of one who follows Him. If he died a martyr, that would be an answer - one willing to lay down his life for Christ is obviously a steadfast Christian.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Nicodemus per The Bible !

John 3:1 (NASB)
Now there was a man
of the Pharisees,
named Nicodemus,
a ruler of the Jews; (Sanhedrin?)

John 7 (NASB)
45 The officers then came to the chief priests and Pharisees, and they said to them,
“Why did you not bring Him?”
46 The officers answered,
“Never has a man spoken the way this man speaks.”
47 The Pharisees then answered them,
“You have not also been led astray, have you?
48 No one of the rulers or Pharisees has believed in Him, has he?
49 But this crowd which does not know the Law is accursed.”

50 Nicodemus (he who came to Him before (John 3!), being one of them {Pharisees}) said to them,
51 “Our Law does not judge a man unless it first hears from him and knows what he is doing, does it?”
52 They answered him,
“You are not also from Galilee, are you?
Search, and see that no prophet arises out of Galilee.”
53 Everyone went to his home.

John 19 (NASB)
38 After these things (crucifixion to death)
Joseph of Arimathea, being a disciple of Jesus, but a secret one for fear of the Jews,
asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus;
and Pilate granted permission.
So he came and took away His body.
39 Nicodemus, who had first come to Him by night (John 3!), also came,
bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds weight.(expensive!)
40 So they took the body of Jesus and bound it in linen wrappings with the spices, as is the burial custom of the Jews.
41 Now in the place where He was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had yet been laid.
42 Therefore because of the Jewish day of preparation ("coming at ~6pm Friday?"),
since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.

IMO: Nicodemus became a believer/follower/disciple in the John 3 encounter...in secrecy!

John 18:14
Now Caiaphas was the one who had advised the Jews that it was expedient for one man to die on behalf of the people.

Matthew 26 (NASB)...The Plot to Kill Jesus
1 When Jesus had finished all these words, He said to His disciples,
2 “You know that after two days the Passover is coming, and the Son of Man is to be handed over for crucifixion.”

3 Then the chief priests and the elders of the people were gathered together
in the court of the high priest, named Caiaphas;
4 and they plotted together to seize Jesus by stealth and kill Him.
5 But they were saying, “Not during the festival, otherwise a riot might occur among the people.”

I believe Nicodemus was there for the illegal night trial which sentenced Jesus to death!!

63b ...And the high priest (Caiaphas) said to Him,
“I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us whether You are the Christ, the Son of God.”
64 Jesus said to him,
“You have said it yourself;( I agree!)
nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power,
and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

65 Then the high priest tore his robes and said, “He has blasphemed! (CLAIMING DEITY!)
What further need do we have of witnesses?
Behold, you have now heard the blasphemy;
66 what do you think?”
They answered, “He deserves death!”

LUKE 22:(NASB)...Jesus before the Sanhedrin
66 When it was day, the Council of elders of the people assembled,
both chief priests and scribes,
and they led Him away to their council chamber (AT NIGHT! NO QUORUM!), saying,
67 “If You are the (DIVINE) Christ, tell us.”
But He said to them,
“If I tell you, you will not believe; 68 and if I ask a question, you will not answer.
69 But from now on the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the power of God.”
70 And they all said, “Are You the Son of God, then?”
And He said to them, “Yes, I am.”
71 Then they said,
“What further need do we have of testimony? For we have heard it ourselves from His own mouth.”

• Friendly
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The excellent book. "Windows into the Bible." Has a chapter on Nicodemus. He and his family are remembered in the Jewish Talmud.

He was the third wealthiest Jew in Jerusalem. He was from Galilee, a few miles from Nazareth. Hence, why he may have had some sympathy for Jesus, a fellow Galilean.

He was in Jerusalem during the Jewish uprising and war with Rome. He donated his wealth. To buy food for the inhabitants of Jerusalem. The violent zealots. Burned the store houses of food killed one of his relatives. And amidst the chaos and mayhem. He and his family were reduced to such poverty. That his daughter. Had to. Try and extract undigested grains. From the manure of horses in the street.

The Jewish talmud. Remembers him favorably in connection with? The founder of modern Rabbinical Judaism. Yohanan Ben Zakkai. Also, a fellow galilean.

That tells me personally that he did not openly profess Jesus as Christ. Or else he wouldn't be remembered favorably in the non Christian Jewish Talmud.

It seems probable that he died in the siege of Jerusalem. Sometime in or shortly before seventy AD. Possibly killed by the violent zealots. As had been his relative earlier.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The excellent book. "Windows into the Bible." Has a chapter on Nicodemus. He and his family are remembered in the Jewish Talmud.

He was the third wealthiest Jew in Jerusalem. He was from Galilee, a few miles from Nazareth. Hence, why he may have had some sympathy for Jesus, a fellow Galilean.

He was in Jerusalem during the Jewish uprising and war with Rome. He donated his wealth. To buy food for the inhabitants of Jerusalem. The violent zealots. Burned the store houses of food killed one of his relatives. And amidst the chaos and mayhem. He and his family were reduced to such poverty. That his daughter. Had to. Try and extract undigested grains. From the manure of horses in the street.

The Jewish talmud. Remembers him favorably in connection with? The founder of modern Rabbinical Judaism. Yohanan Ben Zakkai. Also, a fellow galilean.

That tells me personally that he did not openly profess Jesus as Christ. Or else he wouldn't be remembered favorably in the non Christian Jewish Talmud.

It seems probable that he died in the siege of Jerusalem. Sometime in or shortly before seventy AD. Possibly killed by the violent zealots. As had been his relative earlier.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus, of course, had a conversation with Nicodemus about being born again. He told him that one must be born again to enter the kingdom. What is the difference between paradise, the kingdom of Heaven, and the Kingdom of God? Also, did Nicodemus become a saved man after this? ...

I don’t know what happened to Nicodemus, but I have understood God’s Kingdom is something that is in disciples of Jesus. Perhaps it could be said, those who keep Jesus as their king, form the kingdom. And that kingdom is where those people who keep Jesus as their king are. Kingdom of heaven I think is in higher level of existence, spiritual level and realm.

"The Kingdom of God doesn't come with observation; neither will they say, 'Look, here!' or, 'Look, there!' for behold, the Kingdom of God is within you."

Luke 17:20-21

Upvote 0