What would you change in order to promote unity?

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Agreements can be oral or written. Written agreements are proof, indication of sincerity, external manifestations of internal intent, actual confirmation for the purpose of avoiding confusion about what the agreement is about. Baptism is like that written agreement. God knows you are serious about being cleansed. We know both Judas and Peter received cleansing, but only one was clean. From this we can deduce that baptism is asking for revelation, water from the Rock, and revelation can be believed or not. Israel did not believe, Joshua and Caleb did.

The revelation is that God's power, the finger of God, is sufficient to receive the Kingdom, what man was destined to possess, with daily needs added to them. God deprived Israel of water and food, intentionally, so that He could show this sufficiency. Israel disbelieved, forgot even all the great works that God did to destroy those forces that tried to make her believe she needed Egypt, the world, to survive.

All this intent is moot, nullified, if the baptism didn't express an intent to unfriend the world and friend God.

When you absorb this information, we'll discuss what the sacrament of foot washing is an agreement to do.

You may not have noticed that I am a member of a Lutheran congregation. I believe I can say with some certitude that Lutherans, even though they often disagree upon details from one set of Lutheran organizations to another, are most likely unanimous in failing to recognize foot washing as a sacrament. Certainly Luther did not include it in his very short list.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Agreements can be oral or written. Written agreements are proof, indication of sincerity, external manifestations of internal intent, actual confirmation for the purpose of avoiding confusion about what the agreement is about. Baptism is like that written agreement. God knows you are serious about being cleansed. We know both Judas and Peter received cleansing, but only one was clean. From this we can deduce that baptism is asking for revelation, water from the Rock, and revelation can be believed or not. Israel did not believe, Joshua and Caleb did.

The revelation is that God's power, the finger of God, is sufficient to receive the Kingdom, what man was destined to possess, with daily needs added to them. God deprived Israel of water and food, intentionally, so that He could show this sufficiency. Israel disbelieved, forgot even all the great works that God did to destroy those forces that tried to make her believe she needed Egypt, the world, to survive.

All this intent is moot, nullified, if the baptism didn't express an intent to unfriend the world and friend God.

When you absorb this information, we'll discuss what the sacrament of foot washing is an agreement to do.
Bears repeating!

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So unity would depend on us all having the same understanding, wisdom and knowledge of the truth of God's word. Also living out those words in our actions without the human flesh clouding our view and actions.
I don't believe that we have to have the identical understanding of the truth of God's Word to have unity.
This unity that Jesus desire(s) is the oneness spoken of in genesis about leaving and cleaving.
Husbands and wife can be one and yet have separate understandings but they can also learn to submit on things that aren't game changers.

With God nothing is possible....

Maybe it won't happen until we are in our new heavenly bodies and we live in the immediate presence of God.

Alternatively, God himself would have to start correcting our "churches" and errors in our denominations as we cannot see such errors ourselves or point them out to others such that they would take notice.
I think we're told to judge ourselves.
We're prideful and foolish sometimes tho.

The bible does tell us that the Holy Spirit will lead us into all truth and therefore the problem may well lie with us not wanting to be guided. Have we really surrendered? Are our ears really open? Do we really see? Are we listening to the wrong teacher?
OH lol I spoke too soon.
Check us out, we're like minded.
we both must have the mind of Christ

In the good old bad old days they settled some things with a spiritual contest :)

Aaron's rod budded as a result as one of those challenges
Elijah called fire down from Heaven in his contest on Mount Carmel
lol

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not all division is bad or evil...?

I posted this question to someone elsewhere...

Is debate futile?

Your thoughts on this question...?

Also, How are we to be the same, but different...? To be unique individuals, yet be unified and dwell in unity, and be of one mind and one accord...?

Jesus says he came to cause division, and Paul says to be wary of those causing division...?

Thoughts...?

God Bless!
Right, but not division in the body of Christ.
:)
Jesus divides the wheat from the chaff. that's not the body.
IMO

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A good example of division happening even before a ¨church" was formed is seen at the incident of Jesus washing Peter's feet, over the issue of being clean. Jesus taught a view, some accepted, were considered clean, others did not, were considered not clean, as when Jesus said, ¨Ÿou are clean, but not all of you¨

Now you have two groups, one is in the "ëkklesia¨ the other is not, just as when a Jew touched a dead body, he was considered unclean and had to stay outside the camp, till he was cleansed.

Now those in the ¨ëkkesia" have to have their feet washed. If they refused to accept a teaching which explained how a clean person acts in different situations, he will be considered ¨unclean¨ and must again leave the ekkesia, the called out group, the group which is separated from the world.

Jesus said no one could be his disciple unless they cut all ties with the world, and depended on God for food and clothing (!!!). Petre said he had cut all ties, but Judas refused to give up his worldly goals. You can clearly see what it means to be clean.

When Peter advises Jesus not to talk about dying on the Cross, Jesus calls him Satan and tells him to get out of the way. Peter has become unclean!!! By thinking like a carnal person, becoming a friend of the world. This mindset always tries to serve self, wants to be great. Whilst a friend of God will always try to persuade people to depend on God and show examples of how God can provide. The greatest manifestation, of course, being the Cross, the wedding feast. Jesus laid down His life to show God could even return life to those who served Him.
This post caught my eye the other day and I came back here to look for it anytime I had a minute!
Just wanted to let you know.. It was an inspiration.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may not have noticed that I am a member of a Lutheran congregation. I believe I can say with some certitude that Lutherans, even though they often disagree upon details from one set of Lutheran organizations to another, are most likely unanimous in failing to recognize foot washing as a sacrament. Certainly Luther did not include it in his very short list.
Yet Christ commanded it:

John 13
14If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

The Catholic Church had a long list of what they considered were sacraments, but the Protestants filtered it down. Interestingly, using their criterion, Calvin added the sermon, footwashing, to the list. You can see his logic:

The divergence of the Protestant churches from this definition and scheme was based on the fact that these proceeded on no settled principles. The notion that there are seven sacraments has no New Testament authority, and must be described as purely arbitrary; while the definition of a sacrament is still so vague that anything but an arbitrary selection of particulars is impossible. It is perfectly arbitrary, for example, to place Baptism and the Lord's Supper, which were instituted by Christ as ordinances of the church, in the same category with marriage, which rests not on His appointment but on a natural relationship between the sexes that is as old as the human race. While, therefore, the Reformers retained the term "sacrament" as a convenient one to express the general idea that has to be drawn from the characteristics of the rites classed together under this name, they found the distinguishing marks of sacraments

(1) in their institution by Christ,

(2) in their being enjoined by Him upon His followers,

(3) in their being bound up with His word and revelation in such a way that they become "the expressions of divine thoughts, the visible symbols of divine acts."

And, since Baptism and the Lord's Supper are the only two rites for which such marks can be claimed, it follows that there are only two New Testament sacraments. Their unique place in the original revelation justifies us in separating them from all other rites and ceremonies that may have arisen in the history of the church, since it raises them to the dignity of forming an integral part of the historical gospel. A justification for their being classed together under a common name may be found, again, in the way in which they are associated in the New Testament (Acts 2:41,42; 1 Corinthians 10:1-4) and also in the analogy which Paul traces between Baptism and the Lord's Supper on the one hand, and Circumcision and the Passover--the two most distinctive rites of the Old Covenant--on the other (Colossians 2:11; 1 Corinthians 5:7; 11:26).

It seems foot washing, as a topic, has been left out as irrelevant. Did forgetting of its significance, what it meant, lead to this omission?

An analogy is found in crime detection. A theft happened. The dog did not bark. Holmes found it puzzling, and interesting The police decided it was irrelevant. Did Holmes know something the police didn't? Homes knew that the reason the dog did not bark was because the thief was known to the animal. The police were ignorant or hasty in dismissing the relevance of this clue.

Gregory (Scotland Yard detective): "Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"

Holmes: "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."

Gregory: "The dog did nothing in the night-time."

Holmes: "That was the curious incident."[2]

The Adventure of Silver Blaze - Wikipedia

Maybe we believers are hasty in dismissing the relevance of the mention of footwashing, in leaving out considering it to be a sacrament, even though commanded by the Lord.

The Holy Spirit can bring to mind the significance of the words spoken by the Lord:

John 14
26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Baptism is the agreement to listen to the revelations from God. Foot washing is the promise to ask for daily bread. For edification. By prophesying and by discerning, filtering, like the Bereans. After you put that in your pipe, smoke it, absorb it and get your light bulb moment, we'll talk about what Communion means.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This post caught my eye the other day and I came back here to look for it anytime I had a minute!
Just wanted to let you know.. It was an inspiration.
Isn't it wonderful? By asking for bread daily, the Father like any father, will not withhold good things from us. We can recover all the information the denominations have lost, and in the process of losing, watering down the teachings of the Lord.

Now it is our task to highlight these teachings, bringing it out from the background like you do with chiaroscuro, focusing the spotlight on it!

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Isn't it wonderful? By asking for bread daily, the Father like any father, will not withhold good things from us.
Amen, And like any loving Father, He longs for us (His tents) to spend more time with Him. And who wouldn't want to spend more time with Him.
In His presence is "fullness" of joy!
And since the Joy of The Lord is our strength..
When we're weak, now in His presence we're strong.

We can recover all the information the denominations have lost, and in the process of losing, watering down the teachings of the Lord.
Amen! Preach it ;)
How beautiful are the feet of The Messengers of peace
and of The Messengers of good things!

Now it is our task to highlight these teachings, bringing it out from the background like you do with chiaroscuro, focusing the spotlight on it!
I had to look it up!
May the Spirit of Truth be glorified in and through us~

Upvote 0