What would you change in order to promote unity?

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you talking about what changes I could make personally to promote unity within the Body of Christ?
Not necessarily. Im asking what theology/doctrine/practice would you discard in order to promote unity within the body.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
i'd change anything superfluous that does not interfere with what the teachings are from Jesus Christ; All that is immutable with the living God from Genesis, onward through Revelation, I would not change.

What stands out for me, is myself. I need to change BIG TIME.

And those changes would be a GOOD thing.

Reactions: The Times
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My church has already done that...and I have not seen a rush of Baptists or Roman Catholics trying to get in as a result! ;)

For those who are curious...

Check out the Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral (our proposal for starting unity discussions), and

the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion (the deliberately broad-based statement of faith).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Anything superfluous that does not interfere with what the teachings are from Jesus Christ and all that is immutable with the living God from Genesis, onward through Revelation.

What stands out for me, is myself. I need to change BIG TIME.

And that is a GOOD thing.
Yes we are works in progress, amen.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My church has already done that...and I have not seen a rush of Baptists or Roman Catholics trying to get in as a result! ;)
Perhaps it takes change on all sides. However, even if we change but others do not, we can still be greatly blessed when we are ridiculed for our faith. When we are weak we are strong. Blessed are the poor in spirit. amen.

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes all the heady talking concerning theology and doctrine puts the emphasis on differences unless the debate can measured and the tenor calm. I think we need to be willing to "agree to disagree" for the sake of unity.
There is a message of salvation that all Christians can agree on, beyond that needs to be a careful check on individual ego and pride.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sometimes all the heady talking concerning theology and doctrine puts the emphasis on differences unless the debate can measured and the tenor calm. I think we need to be willing to "agree to disagree" for the sake of unity.
There is a message of salvation that all Christians can agree on, beyond that needs to be a careful check on individual ego and pride.
Galatians 5 teaches us that factions and disension are works of the flesh. If that's what theology does to us, then what good is it? Even though it's supposed to bring us closer to God and each other, its instead causing us to do the opposite.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Galatians 6 teaches us that factions and disension are works of the flesh. If that's what theology does to us, then what good is it? Even though it's supposed to bring us closer to God and each other, its instead causing us to do the opposite.

I don't think that theology discussion in and of itself causes division. It's man's ego and pride that enters into the discussion that causes dissension.

I like a good debate and discussion, one that is informative and looks all sides equally without emotional attachment. One that knows the priorities are loving God and loving each other.

• Agree
Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that theology discussion in and of itself causes division. It's man's ego and pride that enters into the discussion that causes dissension.

I like a good debate and discussion, one that is informative and looks all sides equally without emotional attachment. One that knows the priorities are loving God and loving each other.
Yes debate can be good for learning, but if it causes anyone to fall then it is useless. The kingdom is about peace, righteousness and joy in the spirit. Romans 14. The scriptures teach us to put away debate. Even if debate is sometimes necessary, most times its not. No one is interested in unity unless it means everyone joins their church denomination.

• Agree
Reactions: Hearingheart
Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yes debate can be good for learning, but if it causes anyone to fall then it is useless. The kingdom is about peace, righteousness and joy in the spirit. Romans 14. The scriptures teach us to put away debate. Even if debate is sometimes necessary, most times its not. No one is interested in unity unless it means everyone joins their church denomination.

Yep, can't disagree with you. :amen:

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟83,580.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you in advance.
You have to analyse the situation and lay it out so that a solution can be found.

I will give this analysis.

Then I will give an analogy to explain how the problem can be solved.

Lack of unity is caused by believers studying the material and coming to different conclusions. One way to avoid this is to form a governing body which regulates the study. The original church did this so that there was no disunity. Only one view existed.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT VIEW WAS WRONG!

Analysis over.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
One way to avoid this is to form a governing body which regulates the study. The original church did this so that there was no disunity. Only one view existed.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT VIEW WAS WRONG!

Analysis over.
I know your post was probably intended to be quite earnest but I laughed at this.

Upvote 0

ronandcarol

Mar 9, 2014
✟27,889.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only way that unity in anything ever happens is if their are concessions made. That said, who or what would be conceded? We cannot give up anything that is stated in the Bible, teachings, commandments, etc. Many churches today have omitted the section of the Bible that talks about same sex marriage. How would unity work in this situation? There are people who see nothing wrong with that and there are people who look at it as sin, as stated in the Bible. SO, where is unity on that one small subject? We have to be like the Apostle Peter when he spoke to the high priest and said, We should follow what God says not what man says! (paraphrased a little bit)
ronandcarol

• Agree
Reactions: David Kent
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The only way that unity in anything ever happens is if their are concessions made. That said, who or what would be conceded? We cannot give up anything that is stated in the Bible, teachings, commandments, etc. Many churches today have omitted the section of the Bible that talks about same sex marriage. How would unity work in this situation? There are people who see nothing wrong with that and there are people who look at it as sin, as stated in the Bible. SO, where is unity on that one small subject? We have to be like the Apostle Peter when he spoke to the high priest and said, We should follow what God says not what man says! (paraphrased a little bit)
ronandcarol
Im not talking about things in the bible, but things not in it. I believe if the denominations were truly serious about unity, that they would look for concessions that could be made. However the sad truth is everyone wants to keep those things that divide us.

Upvote 0