What would Jesus tell you if you met him?

E

explodingboy

for the reason you just stated. you said it's a fact that there is historical evidence, which would make it nonfiction actually.
.. your thinking is off,

If it was right then you just made the Flinstones nonfiction. Dinosaurs are fact, Dinosaurs are in the Flinstones Its acurate about what they looked like, but everything that happens around the Dinosaurs.. well that can't be claimed fact.

Historical fact, in this is setting, the events and actions taking place are not factual in the regards.

Upvote 0

ryanb6

Nov 7, 2007
Mississippi but I live in VA
✟15,409.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
.. your thinking is off,

If it was right then you just made the Flinstones nonfiction. Dinosaurs are fact, Dinosaurs are in the Flinstones Its acurate about what they looked like, but everything that happens around the Dinosaurs.. well that can't be claimed fact.

Historical fact, in this is setting, the events and actions taking place are not factual in the regards.
so you equate the bible with the flintstones, and you say my thinking is off?

Upvote 0
E

explodingboy

so you equate the bible with the flintstones, and you say my thinking is off?
nope. I just like to make my choice of examples as simple to understand as possible.

I could of used doctor who if you'd rather. he visits different "historical" times. but the actions inside are entirely fictional.

This wasn't actualy at all about the bible but as much about explaining the example in war front book that was stated.

To say that because a book includes a historic fact, is not enough to justify it as a work of nonfiction. Everything in the book/film/tv show etc. has to be factual for that.

Upvote 0

ryanb6

Nov 7, 2007
✟15,409.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
nope. I just like to make my choice of examples as simple to understand as possible.

I could of used doctor who if you'd rather. he visits different "historical" times. but the actions inside are entirely fictional.

This wasn't actualy at all about the bible but as much about explaining the example in war front book that was stated.

To say that because a book includes a historic fact, is not enough to justify it as a work of nonfiction. Everything in the book/film/tv show etc. has to be factual for that.
so do you believe the bible?

Upvote 0

ryanb6

Nov 7, 2007
✟15,409.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I like to read everything criticaly.

I believe in parts of the bible, I also believe sections were written with the best known cause of the time.
i don't understand what you mean by the best known cause of the time.

Upvote 0

ryanb6

Nov 7, 2007
✟15,409.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't expect to find rocket science in the bible since It was written before rocket science.

Does that make rocket science ungodly because its not biblical?
i said science was faulty. i didn't say no science was accurate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sleaker

Victory of the People
Sep 9, 2006
Portland, OR
Visit site
✟15,788.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm just generally quite useless - and always keep doing the same things wrong over and over. So I would think God is angry and frustrated at me :-(

I don't think he'd be frustrated at all! In fact God is quite pleased with you for just trusting in him. The fact that you are working at things, trying, and considering him puts a smile on his face! It doesn't matter if you fail in the process. If you had a child (maybe you do?) and he was trying to walk would you get angry if he fell down? WOuld you scream at him to keep going? I don't think so, mostly because the child doesn't know how to walk yet. If later in life your teen son tripped and fell because he was beaten and sore would you be angry at him for falling over? Not at all! You'd probably help him up! I see God in the same light as this, he is first most caring and gracious.

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm just generally quite useless - and always keep doing the same things wrong over and over. So I would think God is angry and frustrated at me :-(

I fail all the time too, and I make the same mistakes over and over...but you know, Jesus is very patient with us :) Remember He said that we must forgive 70x7 times, that's because His forgiveness is limitless. He understands that you're trying, and I don't think He's angry, but wants to help you grow. I know how you feel; sometimes I get soo frustrated at myself...well someone once said that what counts in the Christian life is not so much how many times you fail, but how many times you let God pick you up again. The Holy Spirit always brings us back and allows us to repent, which means that God hasn't given up on us..and I don't think He ever will. :) look at Peter...he denied Christ three times (did the same thing wrong three times in one day! lol!) and God still made him an Apostle and turned him into a great follower. :) so I think Jesus is very patient with us and the Bible says that God is slow to anger. I don't think He's angry with you at all, just wishes that you would surrender to Him more perhaps, but He understands you're trying.
God bless :hug:

monica

Upvote 0

dbot

Jul 15, 2005
✟770.00
Faith
Christian
I was in Boston for the past week, and I didnt get a chance to see all this, and so when I come back after a week, I'm really quite dumbfounded.

Thank you to those who actually answered the question. It was meant as a good natured, perhaps as an emotional, but personal question. As much wisdom and guidance the bible may have, it is not a book written specifically to each individual and their story. That is to say, that the Bible doesn't give specific advice about my life, or the life of my friend, or another individual. Thats why I asked the question, to see what people would think Jesus would have to say to themselves personally. I dont understand how idolatry and all that stuff got mixed in there. And Jesus being in a bar doesnt equivocate him with slamming as many beers as he can. A bar scene was used as a backdrop for people who might be downtrodden, or those considered lowlifes. If the image of a bar bothers you, pick a different setting. What if Jesus were sitting at a campfire, and you came across him sitting there alone, and he welcomed you to the campsite, and engaged you in a conversation about yourself? What would he say to you then?

And if you think Jesus would tell YOU to repent, then thats how you feel about Jesus, and thats fine. The Jesus I am emotionally familiar with would bring up the topic of repentance, but hardly in a "you broke the rules, you evil sinner" fashion. He would point out where I'm wrong, and with an encouraging hand, guide me in the right way.

This topic seems to have been dead the past few days, but I wanted to add my commentary. Some people just kind of needlessly overanalyzed all of this.

Upvote 0

ryanb6

Nov 7, 2007
✟15,409.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I was in Boston for the past week, and I didnt get a chance to see all this, and so when I come back after a week, I'm really quite dumbfounded.

Thank you to those who actually answered the question. It was meant as a good natured, perhaps as an emotional, but personal question. As much wisdom and guidance the bible may have, it is not a book written specifically to each individual and their story. That is to say, that the Bible doesn't give specific advice about my life, or the life of my friend, or another individual. Thats why I asked the question, to see what people would think Jesus would have to say to themselves personally. I dont understand how idolatry and all that stuff got mixed in there. And Jesus being in a bar doesnt equivocate him with slamming as many beers as he can. A bar scene was used as a backdrop for people who might be downtrodden, or those considered lowlifes. If the image of a bar bothers you, pick a different setting. What if Jesus were sitting at a campfire, and you came across him sitting there alone, and he welcomed you to the campsite, and engaged you in a conversation about yourself? What would he say to you then?

And if you think Jesus would tell YOU to repent, then thats how you feel about Jesus, and thats fine. The Jesus I am emotionally familiar with would bring up the topic of repentance, but hardly in a "you broke the rules, you evil sinner" fashion. He would point out where I'm wrong, and with an encouraging hand, guide me in the right way.

This topic seems to have been dead the past few days, but I wanted to add my commentary. Some people just kind of needlessly overanalyzed all of this.
did you see how the Jesus of the bible handled people?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dbot

Jul 15, 2005
✟770.00
Faith
Christian
i challenge you to read about the Jesus in the bible. i didn't say your view was wrong, but it's very incomplete.
And I asked you in what ways its incomplete.

I'm aware of how Jesus regarded the pharisees, and genearlly the higher class citizens, like the rich man who Jesus told to sell all his possessions

But I also know that the only commandment worth mentioning in the same discussion as Love your God... was Love your neighbor as yourself. That, coupled with the overwhelming mercy Jesus had on the sick, the bereaved, and the socially inferior obviously shows that people were/are of great importance to Jesus. That is the angle from which I asked the original question. I'm aware that Jesus obviously took his status as the son of God very seriously, but I assumed that was a given when I asked the original question.

Upvote 0