What would it take to have a revival today?

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I was talking to someone the other day and I mentioned that I pray that we could experience a good old fashioned revival in our area.
They said oh you shouldn't pray for a revival because these things just happen and it's not right to pray for.

Well ok, Yes I understand they do happen when God decides to stir the Spirit, but why not pray for this? Paul tells us to be like minded and I can't really understand this person's reasoning?

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate

Striver

"There is still hope."
Feb 27, 2004
South Carolina
✟24,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's an interesting take on things. Were there any specifics given on not praying for revival?

Even when Jesus earlier prophesied (and instructed his followers about) the Holy Spirit coming at Pentecost, there was a clear sense of preparation. I cannot imagine from the other passages in Acts that the believers just sat around in the room doing nothing and specifically praying for nothing or something else.

I think regardless of background, all Christians accept that we are in some form or another conduits for the grace of God to pass through. I don't see how it would in error to be a willing conduit. The logical conclusion of the argument to not pray for revival would be that we never know what to pray for, but of course we have verses about that for help even in our weakness (Romans 8:26-27).

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
That's an interesting take on things. Were there any specifics given on not praying for revival?

Even when Jesus earlier prophesied (and instructed his followers about) the Holy Spirit coming at Pentecost, there was a clear sense of preparation. I cannot imagine from the other passages in Acts that the believers just sat around in the room doing nothing and specifically praying for nothing or something else.

I think regardless of background, all Christians accept that we are in some form or another conduits for the grace of God to pass through. I don't see how it would in error to be a willing conduit. The logical conclusion of the argument to not pray for revival would be that we never know what to pray for, but of course we have verses about that for help even in our weakness (Romans 8:26-27).
No, We were kinda rushed and I didn't get to ask why but since then I have wondered about it a lot.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Salvation comes to those given to Christ by the Father.

“All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.” (John 6:37) (KJV 1900)

Revival in the Church today would be returning to the scriptures as the sole means of God speaking to us.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was talking to someone the other day and I mentioned that I pray that we could experience a good old fashioned revival in our area.
They said oh you shouldn't pray for a revival because these things just happen and it's not right to pray for.

Well ok, Yes I understand they do happen when God decides to stir the Spirit, but why not pray for this? Paul tells us to be like minded and I can't really understand this person's reasoning?

I agree with you. Pray for revival. God will determine what is needed, not us. Aren't most historic revivals started by people in prayer, not by communities ready and prepared for revival?

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Very few things in the Kingdom "just happen". God has ordained that we be co-laborers with Him, and for this reason Jesus delegated authority to the church (Mt 16, 28, et al). If this were not so we would not have all the examples such as Paul asking for prayer for himself.

But we should not be praying for a mere outpouring of emotion. It would be gone as soon as it came. We want a visitation, yes, but one that leads to a habitation - lives permanently changed for Christ and His kingdom. If you pray with that genuine perspective, I don't see how you could possibly be wrong.

Upvote 0

Christopher0121

Brother In Christ
Jun 28, 2011
Ohio
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A severe economic collapse that leaves millions of Americans destitute and crying out for help, returning to their families, churches, and faith communities for prayer, care, and assistance.

Our affluence is our biggest hinderance to revival. So many are doing so well, God is merely an afterthought.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
A severe economic collapse that leaves millions of Americans destitute and crying out for help, returning to their families, churches, and faith communities for prayer, care, and assistance.

Our affluence is our biggest hinderance to revival. So many are doing so well, God is merely an afterthought.
Very sad thought and yet so very true now days. I remember going to church and hearing the old preacher saying we need a Holy Ghost revival to hit the land. Now that I preach, I holler we need to all be on our face in prayer and submission to God.

Upvote 0

FIRESTORM314

Site Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
The Shires
✟197,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, We were kinda rushed and I didn't get to ask why but since then I have wondered about it a lot.

Well - Jesus said to Peter throw your net out on the right side of the boat ( after them getting nowhere all night ). Now if you can't hear his voice then you are going to have a problem. :) -

Get closer to God so that you can first hear then do as he says. Could it be that simple?

Well - people are also rushed these days. Too many distractions, too busy, too little time and plenty of more entertaining things to do with their spare time. It is the problem of our time. The Old Stuff doesn't do it for them anymore - what are they into now? How can we reach them now?

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Well - Jesus said to Peter throw your net out on the right side of the boat ( after them getting nowhere all night ). Now if you can't hear his voice then you are going to have a problem. :) -

Get closer to God so that you can first hear then do as he says. Could it be that simple?

Well - people are also rushed these days. Too many distractions, too busy, too little time and plenty of more entertaining things to do with their spare time. It is the problem of our time. The Old Stuff doesn't do it for them anymore - what are they into now? How can we reach them now?
It seems people are falling away and I don't know what to recommend anymore friend
It is sad that it takes something like the world trade centers falling to get people to look up [or bow down]

• Optimistic
Reactions: FIRESTORM314
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FIRESTORM314

Site Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
The Shires
✟197,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems people are falling away and I don't know what to recommend anymore friend
It is sad that it takes something like the world trade centers falling to get people to look up [or bow down]

It is sad but also I remember Stories like Gideon - God went and found Gideon after the people had fallen away. In this I find encouragement.

Being a church leader must be a tough Job ( it's easier said than done ). I bet you've got that feeling that you are talking to Dry bones and they are not coming to Life yet. Keep Talking - they may wake up slowly but they eventually will.

God Bless

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
It is sad but also I remember Stories like Gideon - God went and found Gideon after the people had fallen away. In this I find encouragement.

Being a church leader must be a tough Job ( it's easier said than done ). I bet you've got that feeling that you are talking to Dry bones and they are not coming to Life yet. Keep Talking - they may wake up slowly but they eventually will.

God Bless
Actually I am very blessed with an awesome congregation, They all readily and excitedly come to church and are active in extending the gospel.
I was relating to the numbers as a whole in the USA and it seems that people are not attending as they once did. I saw where only 20% actually attend church

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

The "Transformations" video series showed that fervent prayer for Revival or an outpouring of the Holy Spirit preceded several major outpourings over these last fifty years.

Upvote 0