Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok. So mainly I've been looking into Orthodoxy & TEC...but as I experience reservations with both, I thought I'd give Lutheranism one last look.

I really don't accept monergism, so I wonder if moving forward is even possible, but what are Lutherans really expected to believe? Beyond the Nicene creed?

It doesn't seem that the Eucharist is consistently important amongst Lutherans, which really is a problem for me as well. I was mainly looking at LCMS & there is only near me I think that celebrates the Eucharist every Sunday. I really thought Lutherans were sacramental, so it seems odd that most churches here only offer it every other Sunday or less often.

So I guess what it comes down to is, what are the key things I would have to accept to be a Lutheran?

Thanks.

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The LCMS does hold the Eucharist to be a sacrament. There has been a push to have every congregation serve the sacrament every sunday. The confessions which are consolidated in the book of concord is the short answer. To get a small understanding of what is taught, you could look into the small catachism with explanation found at cph.org.

As for the Sacrament of the alter, it is a profession of our faith and the very body and blood of CHrist so generally it is held that one must be in accord with the teaches of the LCMS. Hope I helps. If you need more information ask away. Blessings on your quest and peace be with you

Upvote 0

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
As a true Lutheran you would "have to accept" everything that the Bible teaches.
One of those things would be monergism, so if you deny that I think it would be quite difficult to be a true Lutheran, in fact it would be impossible.
Even non-Lutherans are of course always welcome to attend Lutheran services though, so it doesn't mean you wouldn't be welcome to attend.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have you read The Small Catechism? The things stated in there are things you should agree with if you desire to be Lutheran. It's an exposition of what the Bible teaches.

There are small churches that do not have weekly Holy Communion because it's a stress on their limited budgets.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
:scratch: never heard that reason before... how is it a stress? It's not very expensive IMO. :confused:

Our church has a very limited budget. A good chunk of money brought in pays the utilities on the building and then goes to my husband's salary and then our preschool teacher, and then other various paid positions like the organist.

We are fortunate that someone actually donates the wine.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Ok. So mainly I've been looking into Orthodoxy & TEC...but as I experience reservations with both, I thought I'd give Lutheranism one last look.

I really don't accept monergism, so I wonder if moving forward is even possible, but what are Lutherans really expected to believe? Beyond the Nicene creed?

It doesn't seem that the Eucharist is consistently important amongst Lutherans, which really is a problem for me as well. I was mainly looking at LCMS & there is only near me I think that celebrates the Eucharist every Sunday. I really thought Lutherans were sacramental, so it seems odd that most churches here only offer it every other Sunday or less often.

So I guess what it comes down to is, what are the key things I would have to accept to be a Lutheran?

Thanks.

I will check out the small catechism, thanks. I of course believe in Scripture, but I don't see monergism there or in the early Church. Thanks again.

Well, St. Augustine was certainly a monergist, so there's one (and a big one at that). You can find the Book of Concord online in several places. If you want to get a handle on how Lutherans treat monergism, I would suggest reading through the Augsburg Confession, articles 2, 4, 11, 12, 18, 19, 20, then follow that up by reading the Apology of the Augsburg Confession articles 4 and 18 to get more details, then the Formula of Concord, Solid Declaration, parts 1 and 2. There are a number of patristic allusions and citations; as I go through the Book of Concord over this year (I'm teaching a class on it at my parish) I'd be happy to hash things out with you. I just have to focus on where I am in it at this moment.

As for the Eucharist, you're right, it is lamentable that not all Lutheran churches practice the sacrament on a weekly basis. The synod and many of us in it are working to change that. It is taking time, though, because it is not the historic norm in the United States, where pastors often had to rotate between parishes and could not preside each week. Because Lutherans typically do not reserve the sacrament, we often didn't receive weekly. That was never supposed to be the norm, but then again, neither was yearly reception by congregations in late medieval Europe. Fortunately, there is a directory (lutheranliturgy.org) that details the communion practices of parishes throughout the country, and hopefully one day that site won't be necessary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums