London, UK
✟823,017.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am preaching a sermon on Luke 5:1-11 this Sunday. It has gotten me thinking about what works when it comes to evangelism. Jesus was incredibly seeker friendly, using a fishing boat to preach to a fishing community and using a big catch of fish to convert fishermen in to fishers of men. He embedded his message into the community and he reached people.

When I was younger I went on a great many church missions did street evangelism, church services in the open air, drama, door knocking. Once we carried a cross into the middle of the Breitscheidplatz in Berlin and had loads of conversations with everyone from Satanists, to drug addicts, to prostitutes to business people , everyone really. Doing drama, leafletting, one on ones, street talks. The stats were all important in these things - how many converts being the key criteria. But then we would leave and lose all contact with what God had done through us.

The best missions were probably the ones we did with local churches where we built the connections for the first time between the people we met and the churches in their neighbourhoods. But Jesus built entirely new connections, entirely new relationships from nothing. These exploded into the phenomenal growth of the church down 2000 years of Christian history. Peters evangelistic nets were bursting with the fish he brought into the kingdom. Was this just a matter of grace or can we all expect such amazing productivity and culture transforming success in showing Jesus to others. I must admit I think I am failing in this area

Later in the workplace I would try to initiate a conversation about Jesus every day. But it got to the point where no one would sit with me at the lunch table and I started to shut up cause I realized they did not want to hear it. Of course it might have been just the way I was saying it. Later people became Christians in my workplace and in community in the context of relationships and made a point of coming up to me and encouraging me for being a witness. When I asked how they said , you have stubbornness that simply does not yield and considers the faith obviously true. All those years of being mocked for my faith had apparently been my witness rather than starting conversations about it myself.

As I have grown older I have become less and less willing to witness to people outside a relationship with them where there is a chance for them to see the deeper witness of a life dedicated to Christ but not without its faults. In a sense how my faith copes with and indeed overcomes my imperfections being the real witness. But this passage from Jesus is making me think about this again. The depth and power of what Jesus did in Luke 5 challenges me deeply. Are we really doing evangelism anything like this and with anything like this kind of transformative effect today.

Anyway I am interested in what worked or works for you , what attracted you to Jesus and his church and what repelled you?

Last edited:

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Was this just a matter of grace or can we all expect such amazing productivity and culture transforming success in showing Jesus to others.

The culture today is vastly different than the culture 2000 years ago. You have to start there.

Even the apostles tailored their message to the audience - this is essentially why we have four gospels.

And this is important: The devil has had 2000 years to perfect his distraction methods.

I didn't come to Christ until the age of 30 and it was not any one person who helped me find my way - it was a combination of several different people and events over years that opened my eyes and heart.

In my opinion, the best way to evangelize today is through service. When people see Christians helping others many will want to join in the effort. People today need to see the practical application of faith not hear the obscure doctrine that the devil has camouflaged as useless information.

We serve God by serving others and if we're not doing that our message is empty.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Each situation can be different, so I start asking God for a strategy for the situation, and that has varied a lot.

Example: we have a very large outdoor event put on by our local Rotary Club on Wednesdays in the summer (band, food, games, ect) which is right next to our church. There are 10's of thousands of people there. We decided to embrace it. So, in this case the strategy I got from God was to send out groups of two or more, and simply ask people who were coming and going if we could pray for them in 2 minutes or less about anything at all, then leave them be (unless they asked questions). There was always at least 1 team at church praying for the teams out there and we would rotate every so often. We saw tremendous results (along with some funny rejections).

In work environments, God has given me strategies very similar to what you outlined. But, I always try to ask God how He wants me to handle it first.

Upvote 0