What will you do when the ELCA makes their decision?

What will you do after the ELCA makes their decision?

• I will stay regardless of the decision, and abide by it

• I'm on the way out now--we shouldn't even be talking about it

• I will leave if they decide against what I want.

• If I disagree, I'll stay and try to get it overturned

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D.W.Washburn

The Artist Formerly Known as RegularGuy
Mar 31, 2007
United States
✟17,408.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's interesting that this thread started in 2005 and is still going on.

The Sexuality Task Force has finished its Social Statement which will be presented to the Churchwide Assembly this August. As I understand their work, they are recommending a local option. If the recommendations are adopted, individual congregations will be able call ordained pastors living in committed same sex relationships. I think that synods may also have some say in the matter.

It has never been the polity or practice of the ELCA to force a pastor on a congregation. (Realistically, I think bishops sometimes exert a bit of influence, but...) under these recommendations, no congregation will have to call an openly gay pastor.

However, if the recommendations are adopted the ELCA will be a church body that ordains gay pastors in committed same-sex relationships. Individuals and congregations may need to ask themselves if they want to be part of such a larger body.

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Threin lies my dilemna. Overall, I like the congregation, don't trust the pastor. I need church, but I don't want to suffer spiritual harm. Do I trust God to protect me, or is this His way of telling me to leave that particular congregation?
If one is not trusting the Pastor it is like the sheep not trusting their shepherd.
If the pastor of a congregation is not being trusted by the sheep of Christ, it is (in my opinion) pastor's problem.

JN 10: 26 but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

In my opinion, if the distrust towards the pastor is there and it is there for some time. If the sheep of Christ constantly feel this distrust, I personally would start looking elsewhere ...

Thanks,
Ed

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's interesting that this thread started in 2005 and is still going on.

The Sexuality Task Force has finished its Social Statement which will be presented to the Churchwide Assembly this August. As I understand their work, they are recommending a local option. If the recommendations are adopted, individual congregations will be able call ordained pastors living in committed same sex relationships. I think that synods may also have some say in the matter.

It has never been the polity or practice of the ELCA to force a pastor on a congregation. (Realistically, I think bishops sometimes exert a bit of influence, but...) under these recommendations, no congregation will have to call an openly gay pastor.

However, if the recommendations are adopted the ELCA will be a church body that ordains gay pastors in committed same-sex relationships. Individuals and congregations may need to ask themselves if they want to be part of such a larger body.
If this happens I would probably be really embarassed to be known as a member of ELCA.

Thanks,
Ed

Reactions: Gazelle
Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟47,348.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If this happens I would probably be really embarassed to be known as a member of ELCA.
Thanks,
Ed
Same here.
On the other hand, I would be embarrassed not to be known as a member of ELCA.
Korah

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.