• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What We Believe

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Dorothea, Feb 28, 2011.

1. ladodgers6

ladodgers6 Well-Known Member Supporter

+219
    Calvinist
    Married
    This is incorrect of what the Classical Reformed Faith, teaches.

2. ladodgers6

+219
    Calvinist
    Married
    Way off base about Luther. This is why people caricature Classical Reformed Protestantism. My Father was mean, and He hurt my Mother, and did some terrible things. Just because He is that way, does not mean God is. This Ed, hurts me to my core. That we are judged by people before they know anything about us. Sorry but I am sharing my feelings, here.
    Trying to find an excuse for our anger is not the truth about God. You were on the right path, seeking to understand why God is angry with us. But to say we put God in the same boat as our bad fathers; is the same thing. Is plain wrong! I am with Edwards that instead of sinners being in the hands of an angry God. Now its God in the hands of angry sinners!

3. Light of the East

Light of the East Ukrainian Greek Catholic Supporter

+869
    Catholic
    Married
    Jesse, Christian psychologists I have read for decades have all said that it is very common for us to transfer our relationship with our earthly father to that with our heavenly Father. Perhaps you are the exception to the rule, but I will go with the psychologists, especially if they are Christians.

What very little we know of God is often expressed to us in metaphors, similes, and analogies with those things we do know about. This is why Jesus used agricultural analogies. This is why he gave the Parable of the Prodigal Son, showing God as a Father and not just King of Israel as the Psalms state. Those who have been loved and cared for in life find it far easier to understand God as love than those who have not.

4. ladodgers6

+219
    Calvinist
    Married
    How about those who did not know their Father. Or those who lost their Fathers, when they were very young?

Where in Scripture can I find this that these Christian psychologists speak of?

I beg to differ. Those parables are meant to drive home a point. You said that Luther despised God because Luther despised his own earthly Father? I am having a problem with that.

5. Light of the East

Light of the East Ukrainian Greek Catholic Supporter

+869
    Catholic
    Married
    Besides the scientific/psychological aspect of it, I do have a personal dog in this fight:

Father’s Day – 2017