Veteran
Oct 14, 2006
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Fear is the mind killer.

I am Patrick, since I'm Irish and that's also my middle name. Not to mention St. Patrick is a total kick-butt saint who puts Chuck Norris to shame, and whose little finger I am not worthy to emulate, so I figure I want him on my side, praying for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

Joshua G.

Mar 5, 2009
U.S.A.
✟5,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Mine is John after St. John Chrysostom. I proabbly shoudl have chosen my name, Joshua, but I have a really hard time relating to the OT in general... probably all the more reason to have chosen him... I chose St. John Chrysostom because in my former Lutheran parish there was a stain glassed window of him (never knew it was of him or who he was until near the end of my being Lutheran). The irony of having a saint that prayed to saints in a Lutheran Church was blaring to me at the time and caught my attention and his story is inspiring so I thought... why not?

Josh

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's pretty wild, Matt. My first-born son, Luke, and my daughter (second child) Veronica are not quite one year apart....

birthdays

9/6/05
9/5/06

St Matthew the Evangelist. my birth name is Matthew, I was born on 11/28/82, my grandfather is named Levi and he was born 11/28/28 (all same numbers).

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
My parent's named me after Saint Daniel the Prophet. Having a Christian name, I had no reason to take on a new name. My wife, on the other hand was named Darleen. When she was Charismated, she was adopted by Saint George the Great Martyr.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was a baby. I didn't choose my baptismal name, which happens to be the same as my real name. I was named after my dad's mom, my grandmother. But the name is apparently a Saint's which I didn't find out until about 4-5 years ago.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Since my given name is Mary, my Priest said I just needed to decide which Mary would be my patron. Even as a child in the Baptist church, I loved hearing the story of Mary of Bethany sitting at Jesus' feet and I felt I needed her example of choosing "the one thing needful". And now I get to hear that passage on every feast of the Theotokos. :)

Mary

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was chrismated Monica, which isn't my given name. I felt drawn to st. Monica before orthodoxy. I really love her. Saint Monica Model of Wifely Forbearance

My given name is Amharic (Ethiopian). So it very well could be a saint's name too.

M.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, I have the middle name Edward after Edward the Confessor of England, but being of a proper Celtic mind I have this great distaste of the English, the name Edward and all the "special Ed" jokes that go with it; so that was purely out of the question. My first name "Mitchell" is derived from "Michael" and I've always hated the name Michael; so that too was out of the question.

What happened was I told my dad and the local priest on a Saturday after Vespers that I wanted to become Orthodox. The next day before the long version of Matins my dad grabbed a copy of the "Lives of the Saints", sat me down and said, "Read until you find one and one finds you". Being the history person I am, I always loved St. Constantine the Great and the fact that he united people, mediated the proceedings that deemed Arianism a heresy and is just given a bad rep my most of the non-Orthodox world sounded a lot like me and someone whom I could emulate (simple, right? ;))

My catechumenate was about six weeks and during the whole time I prayed to God asking for guidance on the matter. During that time the name Constantine kept appearing, screaming in my ear or both, so I quit resisting and took the name Constantine. Since then the greatest wisdom that I have heard has come from people with the name "Helen" or a derivative of "Helen" so I guess it's paid off! ^_^

Upvote 0

Joshua G.

Mar 5, 2009
U.S.A.
✟5,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, I have the middle name Edward after Edward the Confessor of England, but being of a proper Celtic mind I have this great distaste of the English, the name Edward and all the "special Ed" jokes that go with it; so that was purely out of the question. My first name "Mitchell" is derived from "Michael" and I've always hated the name Michael; so that too was out of the question.

What happened was I told my dad and the local priest on a Saturday after Vespers that I wanted to become Orthodox. The next day before the long version of Matins my dad grabbed a copy of the "Lives of the Saints", sat me down and said, "Read until you find one and one finds you". Being the history person I am, I always loved St. Constantine the Great and the fact that he united people, mediated the proceedings that deemed Arianism a heresy and is just given a bad rep my most of the non-Orthodox world sounded a lot like me and someone whom I could emulate (simple, right? ;))

My catechumenate was about six weeks and during the whole time I prayed to God asking for guidance on the matter. During that time the name Constantine kept appearing, screaming in my ear or both, so I quit resisting and took the name Constantine. Since then the greatest wisdom that I have heard has come from people with the name "Helen" or a derivative of "Helen" so I guess it's paid off! ^_^
I'm confused because my name is not related to Helen in anyway...

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My given first name didn't really have any connection, so I went with my middle name. I usually ask my god children to keep their first name if they can, but in one case he really wanted to change it. That's fine too, but I think there a certain respect is owed to our parents in this department. They named us best they could, so why not honor that if possible.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
i went with my birth name - Jesse. I was kinda thinking of choosing Seraphim but my priest told me to stick with Jesse, and thats probably better. But go with the Saint you feel drawn to, in my humble opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Looking at your signature, lex orandi, lex credendi, I was just pondering recently how ironic it is that a Catholic holy man made that famous Latin expression up to represent Catholicism and yet the whole phrase more accurately fits Orthodoxy! The law of worship is the law of faith seems to no longer be the norm for Catholicism....since Vatican II for sure!

Sorry, off topic, back to the name show! :p

My given first name didn't really have any connection, so I went with my middle name. I usually ask my god children to keep their first name if they can, but in one case he really wanted to change it. That's fine too, but I think there a certain respect is owed to our parents in this department. They named us best they could, so why not honor that if possible.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are volumes written on Queen St. Tamara as her reign is well documented, unfortunately you would have to learn georgian, since i doubt much is available in english.
Quite remarkable what she accomplished, you can look her up in an encyclopedia or maybe wiki to get a broader more secular explanation of her life. .

Upvote 0