What was the first gun you owned?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sears Model 5 .22 lever action rifle.

2676728_01_rare_sears_model_5_lever_actio_640.jpg

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Still have one, and my wife still shoots it! Bought new in the '70 for coon hunting at night; with a Tasco 6 X on it; 10s of 1000s of rounds throug it. Very accurate still!

Mine is a tad older. My grandfather bought it at the Navy Exchange in Japan in 1961. It had a Weaver 4x scope and like yours, 10s of thousands of rounds. It is the Seneca green model that was made from 1959-1962. It is still a tack driver but I don’t shoot is much anymore because I am afraid of damaging a part due to its age.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,375.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Mine is a tad older. My grandfather bought it at the Navy Exchange in Japan in 1961. It had a Weaver 4x scope and like yours, 10s of thousands of rounds. It is the Seneca green model that was made from 1959-1962. It is still a tack driver but I don’t shoot is much anymore because I am afraid of damaging a part due to its age.
Never seen the green one!

Good ones up here sell for 3-4 hundred dollars now!

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ruger 10/22...and yep, I still have it :)

Although, I imagine that was a first for quite a few people.

Bought it when I was 18. In Ohio, you can't buy handguns until 21, and it's a .22lr so it's obviously easy to shoot, and for someone fresh out of high school with not a lot of money to his name, the $195 price tag on it was rather agreeable lol.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're right Brother. Anything over 20 or so is just superfluous. Lol :)
View attachment 211660

Wow that 22 Mini-revolver looks stretched out. It looks like a 22 Mag version! It's not. It's an 1-1/8" barrel 22 LR, much smaller than the pic suggests.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ruger 10/22...and yep, I still have it :)

Although, I imagine that was a first for quite a few people.

Bought it when I was 18. In Ohio, you can't buy handguns until 21, and it's a .22lr so it's obviously easy to shoot, and for someone fresh out of high school with not a lot of money to his name, the $195 price tag on it was rather agreeable lol.

It wasn't a first for me, but was for a lot of people I know. When the kids were growing up and I was still married, that was the thing to do was to buy a relative a 10/22! Birthdays, Christmas...always! I bought one at a time for my Wife, two sons, My wife's three little brothers, her dad, my brother, but not my MIL, my Wife gave hers to her.

A first for six of them, lol. Not my Wife or brother.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Never seen the green one!

Good ones up here sell for 3-4 hundred dollars now!

The light is poor and has taken me forever to get it to upload. I will try to bet another pic that shows the green better.

2j2t2sn.jpg

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,375.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The light is poor and has taken me forever to get it to upload. I will try to bet another pic that shows the green better.

2j2t2sn.jpg
Cool! Here in Canada, our Nylons were assembled in Windsor, Ontario... to get around import duties.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Cool! Here in Canada, our Nylons were assembled in Windsor, Ontario... to get around import duties.

I had a Chevy truck made in Canada. The only difference I noticed was during the cold weather. Instead of going Rrr… Rrr…Rrr… it went Eh…Eh…Eh… :eek:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟83,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sears Model 5 .22 lever action rifle.

2676728_01_rare_sears_model_5_lever_actio_640.jpg
Nice Dave, I grew up in thr suberbs of Los Angeles, late 60's-70's, had the regular daisy red-rider BB, at 9 yrs old, 22 Remington short, single shot at 12 yrs old.

I would tape it under my main bar on my schwinn sting ray, ride down the street barrel hanging out the front, down the crowded streets of LA, and head to the hills with me and my friends shooting ground squirrels and rabbits all day.

Not a word said in opposition, lots of thumbsup, on our day's journey.

We would skin and eat the rabbits, ride mini bikes in empty fields, fish at the local rock quarries.

Good time!

Now it's police on every corner, helicopters, lights, and loud speakers in the air to come out with your hands up.

I'm into bow hunting and fishing now, a little crazy out here, in the mountains and hunting in California.

I was shot at while hunting in the 90's, put my guns on the shelf and picked up a bow, I have several kills with a bow, what a feeling to stalk the game, and win.

Nothing like my good teriyaki smoked jerky either, a nice back strap on the barbeque.

Nice reflecting on the way it used to be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL!!!

I wish I still had the "Student Handbook" from my freshman year in High School. It had a couple of paragraphs on bringing guns to school. (my kids were shocked at that)

• You first had to go to the front office with a valid hunting license.
  • All amo had to stay in the office.
  • Your gun (usually shot gun or small cal rifle) was to be locked in your locker.
  • After school you would take your gun and collect your amo from the office and leave school property.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Sure is. I remember I was about 10 yrs old...me and my two brothers were heading out to shoot up the woods and have some fun. I had my Winchester 9422M lever action, my big brother had my dad's A1 AR15, and my other brother had his 22 bolt action.

We're walking down the road all armed to the teeth, no one older than 12 yrs old, and what happens? A Sheriff pulls in behind us and taps the horn. He gets out and motions us over, and we were prolly wondering if we were in trouble for something? He says, boys them are mighty fine looking rifles you got there, and one of them is even an AR15 so I wanted to just have a peek at it...if it's ok with you guys? I've been thinking about buying one...

So we did, lol. Chewed the fat with a Sheriff. He never disarmed us, put us on the ground, nothing but friendliness. Then he got back in his car and said you boys be careful with those...as he drove away. This was 1972

Oh yeah! Lemmee see...in 4th grade (1971) I took two hand grenades to school for show & tell! They were war surplus DEWATS so were not active. The teacher made me ask the principle first to make sure it was ok. The principle said it is ok, but you can't keep them in your desk, they have to be in the cloak room, lol!

Times have changed.

Upvote 0