What was the first christian music that you bought?

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My first exposure to Christian music was in 1986. I was in grade 10 and away at academy. There was a guy who lived across from me in the dorm who happened to glance at my collection of secular rock and metal cassettes while in my room. He told me he had some tapes of groups who played rock with Christian lyrics. I had never heard of such a thing, and so I asked if he could play me some. I don't really remember all of the bands he played for me, but I do know that Rez Band, Daniel Band, Allies, WhiteHeart and Petra stood out for me. I was intrigued by this new concept and loved what these groups had to say. Unfortunately, I was a little put off by the poor production and cheap, cheesy cover art. My tastes at the time ran into more heavy stuff as well, so it didn't really appeal to me musically.

I happened to comment to him that, while the groups that he played for me were clearly talented, they would never win over the average cynical, discerning listener if they didn't have more professional production. He told me to hold on, rummaged around in his tape case and pulled out The Big Picture by Michael W. Smith. I went into hysterical fits of laughter when I saw the picture of Smitty in the liner notes with his freshly permed hair and gaudy, 80's fashion sense. Once the music started however, the laughing stopped very quickly. I was blown away by the sonics of the album. This was a man who knew how to compete with the big boys in the secular music industry. Wow, what a BIG arena rock sound that album had! :eek: Then he played me Unguarded by Amy Grant and I was impressed again, even though pop music was the last thing I was listening to at the time (that has changed dramatically, thank goodness.)

Well, I didn't gave a second thought to CCM for a few months until I found myself in a Christian bookstore with some friends. This was another first for me, as I had no idea that Christians had thier own bookstores! I almost couldn't believe it when I saw that there was actually a hard rock/metal section. No way. You can't be serious! There are actually groups that play the style I like and they are Christians? I happened to come across Soldiers Under Command by Stryper and picked it up. I just couldn't believe guys could look like that and be Christians. It was like someone had taken Motley Crue and dry cleaned them into respectable individuals. I was also very skeptical that the music would measure up to the secular metal I was listening to at the time. :scratch:

Well, I got home and popped this baby into my cassette player and about nearly had a heart-attack. These guys were GOOD and could stand up to just about any secular L.A. metal band! They also had, bar none, the best, sweetest vocal harmonies I had ever heard in metal. And the LYRICS. Makes Me Wanna Sing signifies, for me, the first time I fully experienced Christian metal is all of its rapturous glory. :angel: :clap:

I was a changed man from that day forward. I soon became convicted and destroyed all of my secular rock and metal tapes. I upgraded to CD's and replenished my collection for years after with only the best, high quality Christian rock and metal groups available.

Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Keith Green's So You Wanna Go Back to Egypt
and
John Michael Talbot's For the Bride
Definitely both have stood the test of time..... as for my copies of course they are gone.....
Both of those are GREAT albums!

Upvote 0

RickyK

Jul 18, 2007
✟15,132.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Conservative
I started off listening to Michael W Smith before I was saved, I grew up in a Christian family and my dad was a fan of his. After I became a Christian I started listening to MWS' worship albums and from there I got into Third Day, Casting Crowns, Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman and all the other big names in Christian music!

Upvote 0

shmody

dork
Apr 11, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
✟8,273.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The first song that got me into CCM was 4Him's "Basics of Life," and the first cd I purchased was Newsboys' Going Public, which was a big change for the country fan that I was. Then I started listening to anything I heard about through magazines (oh how I miss 7ball) and, eventually, the internet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The first Christian CD I chose on my own was Beanbag's Free Signal. I doubt many have heard of Beanbag, but they're a pretty cool band. I got it years ago, but I still have it in my iPod playlist and listen to em sometimes. :)
I still listen to Free Signal quite a bit!

Reactions: Phil413
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DanC922

Dec 18, 2004
Wichita, Kansas
✟1,604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I still listen to Free Signal quite a bit!

Sweet! I first heard Beanbag on a Newsboys sample CD that came with LoveLibertyDisco. Have you listened to Beanbag's other CD at all? I remember listening to a couple samples once, but wasn't very impressed.

Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sweet! I first heard Beanbag on a Newsboys sample CD that came with LoveLibertyDisco. Have you listened to Beanbag's other CD at all? I remember listening to a couple samples once, but wasn't very impressed.
I have it. It's called Welladjusted. I like it. It's very different from Free Signal.

Upvote 0