✟16,046.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What version/s do you use and why?
I like the KJV, NASB, LITV, and Geneva; because of their dynamic interpretations and the fact that they all use the Textus Receptus manuscripts.

What do you think of The Message?
Don't know much about it so I won't comment, but I heard it is a paraphrase translation, so I would never use it.

Upvote 0

tqpix

Deist
Apr 18, 2004
Vancouver
✟16,046.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I like the KJV, NASB, LITV, and Geneva; because of their dynamic interpretations and the fact that they all use the Textus Receptus manuscripts.
They do?

:o
Now that I've read my post again, I meant to say translations instead of interpretations, and all of them use the Textus Receptus except the NASB (but it's still a fine translation).

Upvote 0

calluna

Apr 23, 2008
✟10,394.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Now that I've read my post again, I meant to say translations instead of interpretations, and all of them use the Textus Receptus except the NASB (but it's still a fine translation).
What is meant by the term 'dynamic translations'? None of these uses the Dynamic Equivalence method of translation. None of them read smoothly in English, so could not be said to have a dynamic literary style. I don't see a way in which the adjective 'dynamic' could apply.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Update, since my preferences have shifted a little:

Study: ESV (since the release of the ESV Study Bible, which is IMO the best yet), NASB, HCSB

Carry to church: TNIV (NIV is what my church uses, but TNIV is so similar except the scholarship is a little more up to date)

General reading: NLT

Casual reading or to get another perspective: The Message

I have most translations, for comparison purposes, completeness of collection or for a particular study Bible edition. When I use KJV, it's only to compare translations.

Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Back in the 1970s I had a version of Paul's epistles similar to the Cottonpatch version, but it was written in slang/street language. I don't remember what it was called. I lost it years ago. Anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

Yes, I've heard of it - its one of the more obscure but interesting English paraphrases. It is called the Cottonpatch version and was written by Clarence Jordan. Its available on the internet here.

Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In study, I compare multiple translations using the BibleWorks software program.

Aside from study, I also like to read through 2-4 different English translations during the year.

For church, Bible studies or other related "public reading" functions I carry an NIV Study Bible. When I'm "on the go" or on vacation I always carry a full Bible with me: either an NIV Thinline or an NASB pocket Bible. I like having a full Bible within reach to read at anytime.

For memorization I like to use the Greek, Hebrew, and the NIV. However I still retain a few KJV verses from long ago along with some striking verses from various translations.

I agree with Izdaari on The Message and Peterson. Paraphrases like The Message can provide new and different perspectives on the text, just like reading a commentary or listening to a sermon can at times do the same.

I'd just encourage folks to get into the Word at all levels. Reading quickly through a book gives one an overview of the theme. Reading slowly through a book can often yields insights into the details and other gems.

LDG

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.