An Autumn Lutheran Rose
May 4, 2007
Iowa
✟9,125.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My current favorite is ESV. I have several other translations.

Several years ago, my husband bought me a coffee-table edition of the Readers Digest condensed version. It has a lot of artwork and some interesting cultural notes about life in biblical times. I think it first was published sometime in the 1980s as "The Book"?

Back in the 1970s I had a version of Paul's epistles similar to the Cottonpatch version, but it was written in slang/street language. I don't remember what it was called. I lost it years ago. Anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
My latest acquisition: the MacArthur Study Bible, NASB Updated, personal size, brick red & brown imitation leather. It's very pretty. I bought it because I didn't have an NASB in my collection, and because I also didn't have a study Bible in a handy to carry size.

MacArthur's notes seem very knowledgeable and thorough, but I know he and I are going to have our disagreements. He's a biblical literalist, fundamentalist, Calvinist, cessationist vs. me, a pretty moderate Emergent-leaning Pentecostal. This is NOT a marriage made in heaven. That's ok, I still like this new purchase a lot. I don't have to agree on everything, I just have to learn some things from it, and that I'm sure I can do.

Upvote 0

dead2self

Christian Hedonist
Jun 3, 2008
Prince George, BC
✟10,094.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I use the NASB for day to day reading as I like it's accuracy. I have a KJV and NIV as well, but am not fond of how the NIV drops so many therefore's and such so I rarely open it anymore. I like the style of the ESV and will switch to it after I am done my current reading trhough the NASB.

Regarding the Message, as with any paraphrase, it can be a good reference but I do not agree with arguing from it or teaching from it except perhaps to clarify a point. Owing to the fact that it is a paraphrase and not a translation, it relies heavily uopn the interpretation of it's author or authors. (Sorry but I know little of the authorship of the Message)

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Regarding the Message, as with any paraphrase, it can be a good reference but I do not agree with arguing from it or teaching from it except perhaps to clarify a point. Owing to the fact that it is a paraphrase and not a translation, it relies heavily uopn the interpretation of it's author or authors. (Sorry but I know little of the authorship of the Message)
It's the work of one man, Rev. Eugene H. Peterson. Since he's a sound scholar of Greek and Hebrew, and a sound Presbyterian working pastor, I think his paraphrases can be considered reliable. But as you say, being paraphrases they are one man's interpretation. Within its limitations, I like The Message very much.

Upvote 0

dead2self

Christian Hedonist
Jun 3, 2008
Prince George, BC
✟10,094.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's the work of one man, Rev. Eugene H. Peterson. Since he's a sound scholar of Greek and Hebrew, and a sound Presbyterian working pastor, I think his paraphrases can be considered reliable. But as you say, being paraphrases they are one man's interpretation. Within its limitations, I like The Message very much.

Thanks for the info. I do agree that the Message, in general is reliable even before hearing his credentials. And I have never found fault when my pastor uses it to clarify a point in scripture in a sermon. I'd simply not take it as the final and authoritative word of God.

Upvote 0

hatsoff

Jan 30, 2006
✟7,784.00
Faith
Agnostic
The problem with the Message is that it paraphrases to a fault. The purpose for paraphrasing is to smooth out any stilted language that results from a more literal translation. In contrast, the Message paraphrases, it seems to me, simply for the sake of paraphrasing, apart from any real biblical or linguistic function. Add to this that we should always be suspicious of any translation made by a single person, and I don't see the Message as being a wise option for very many readers.

Upvote 0

dead2self

Christian Hedonist
Jun 3, 2008
Prince George, BC
✟10,094.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well the whole point of the Message is to be a pure paraphrase. I do think it can be useful in the same way preaching is. It can be used as mini exposition on a passage. As for suspecting a translation done by a single person, I agree fully in the cae of a translation, but in the case of a paraphrase I have no more problem with that than with a sermon preached by a single pastor. I guess it's all about how you view paraphrases in relation to translations. For me, I'm going to check what is said in a sermon or paraphrase against a literal translation to see if the teaching is true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dead2self

Christian Hedonist
Jun 3, 2008
Prince George, BC
✟10,094.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
For teaching. As Izdaari pointed out it was written by a pastor. If one finds a particular passage of scripture to be troublesome, then reading it in the Message could very well help to clarify the issue. Of course a full sermon preached on a passage could help even more, in one's personal studies, I see this a a good tool to use in increasing understanding of scripture.

Just keep in mind that a passage that seems plain and simple to one person might not seem that way to everyone. So a paraphrase iof the entire Bible is no worse an idea than preaching on the whole Bible.

Upvote 0

calluna

Apr 23, 2008
✟17,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
For teaching. As Izdaari pointed out it was written by a pastor.
Is that a commendation, or an indictment?

If one finds a particular passage of scripture to be troublesome, then reading it in the Message could very well help to clarify the issue.
'The Message' is not for Christians, but for young seekers, who may (or may not) be won over by the casual style of this 'translation', though quite they might we won over to is questionable. Religion that has little respect for God, and which allows them to commit sodomy? I suspect that is Peterson's objective, and that of his publisher.

All published translations show the hateful fingers of Satan, but 'The Message' is the very last attempt at translation that I would turn to for the truth. There is just one way to find out what the real message of the Bible is, and that has always been the case. Modern apostates, and they litter the 'developed' world, will lie and say otherwise, but reference to original languages is still the only way.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Is that a commendation, or an indictment?
A commendation. So far as I've been able to discover, Peterson's theology is sound, and he is a good Bible scholar and a good pastor. That doesn't mean I'm going to agree with him on all points; he's a Presbyterian and I'm not, but that's pretty minor stuff.

'The Message' is not for Christians, but for young seekers, who may (or may not) be won over by the casual style of this 'translation', though quite they might we won over to is questionable. Religion that has little respect for God, and which allows them to commit sodomy? I suspect that is Peterson's objective, and that of his publisher.

All published translations show the hateful fingers of Satan, but 'The Message' is the very last attempt at translation that I would turn to for the truth. There is just one way to find out what the real message of the Bible is, and that has always been the case. Modern apostates, and they litter the 'developed' world, will lie and say otherwise, but reference to original languages is still the only way.
Well, I agree that reference to the original languages is best, and accordingly, I'm beginning to study NT Greek. I'll tackle Hebrew once I have the Greek down, which may take me a while.

But I'm afraid we disagree on everything else. I think you're slandering a good man and a good paraphrase. And not just him and it; you're also slandering all translators, implying that they're doing Satan's work rather than God's. Well, I think I know who's doing that here, and it isn't the translators.

Upvote 0

calluna

Apr 23, 2008
✟17,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
A commendation.

So all pastors are commendable?????

So far as I've been able to discover, Peterson's theology is sound, and he is a good Bible scholar and a good pastor.

Is that some sort of recommendation? 'Izdaari', an internet poster, says that Peterson is ok? Can we all breathe a long sigh of relief?

Do write one sentence that has objective value, and therefore some interest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
So all pastors are commendable?????

No, not all, but Peterson seems to be one of the good ones.

Is that some sort of recommendation? 'Izdaari', an internet poster, says that Peterson is ok? Can we all breathe a long sigh of relief?

Do write one sentence that has objective value, and therefore some interest.
Ok. Here's a sentence that has objective value. Welcome to my ignore list.

Upvote 0

angelmom01

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2006
✟50,359.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What version/s do you use and why?

What do you think of The Message?

Please answer both questions if you can. I was brought up with KJV, and I still like it for memorization. I also have had NIV, and I recently got ESV which I think is going to be my primary version in the years to come. Plus it is compact, so it is easy to carry around.

Jackie
I study, primarily, from the KJV. I love it!! :thumbsup:

I reference several others, but am completely unfamiliar with The Message. Sorry.

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2008
Orkney, Scotland
✟10,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have several Bibles which I use for cross-reference but I prefer the NKJV. It's in a version of english I prefer. I originally bought it because it had a thumb index for ease, but it is used the most, it is starting to look worn, the gold edge losing its shine and the thin leather cover is worn and cracking which makes me happy because it means that it is being used and no matter how tatty it gets it will be with me.

Of the other bibles my next favoured verion would the KJ & RKJ inter-linear, I like the old English, the Psalms are are particularly beautiful in the this verision.

As for the Message, good and easy to read. Whatever Bible you use, it should be easy for you to read and understand and you will become quite familiar with and be able to get to book,passages and verses with ease.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.