What to do about bad teaching in the Church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

israel_knight

Jun 25, 2003
✟15,160.00
Faith
Christian
I am going to a Word of Faith church which i know God has called me to go to. But some of the things being taught are not good doctrine. For myself i realize that no church i go to is going to be exsaclty right and i would just take what i can get and leave it at that. The real problem i have is that my girlfriend is belive what is being taught. What should i do, should i go and talk to the pastor and tell him what i belive? I think its wrong to just sit back and do nothing shouldn't i be contending for the faith that was delivers to the saints? I really need help on this because i know i am were I'm suposed to be and i can't just leave.

Achichem

Faithful
Aug 9, 2003
✟1,857.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
israel_knight said:
I am going to a Word of Faith church which i know God has called me to go to. But some of the things being taught are not good doctrine. For myself i realize that no church i go to is going to be exsaclty right and i would just take what i can get and leave it at that. The real problem i have is that my girlfriend is belive what is being taught. What should i do, should i go and talk to the pastor and tell him what i belive? I think its wrong to just sit back and do nothing shouldn't i be contending for the faith that was delivers to the saints? I really need help on this because i know i am were I'm suposed to be and i can't just leave.

First I ask what is he teaching wrong, perhaps it is not wrong at all?

But I believe you, so I recommend, Go into the bible compile a good list of biblical based arguments(OT and NT if possible), then go talk to the pastor, and try and find out why he thinks what he does. Make sure he leaves with a sheet outlining quotes and arguments so he does not just brush it to the side.

Try this, if it does not work,

Then you have to go to phase two.

Upvote 0

israel_knight

Jun 25, 2003
✟15,160.00
Faith
Christian
He teachs name it and claim it. if the word says it its so and you belive it until you recive it. I belive that works as long as its in context and your beliving the right thing.

hes teaching because Isiah 53:5 and 1 Peter 2:24 by his stripes you are healed. christ dided so we could be healed and all you have to do is belive upon it to be healed.

Malachi 3:8-10 saying that if you don't tith you will be cursed because it is a commandment of God. If you tith and belive on it you will become welathy.

he teachs a whle bunch of seeding if you give money you will get money, he was jokingthe other night that the people who clean the church will allways have a vacum that works because they have sown for that.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's some serious problem with what you have just described to me. It sounds like he doesn't understand that first of all there is a division between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. When Christ fulfilled all of the prophets and Law the Old Covenant was done away with and the New was put in place. This takes care of many problems. Nowhere in the New Covenant is the command to tithe given - nowhere is there any command of "seeding" for anything. I would like him to show from the Bible that what he is teaching is true, and if I were you this is what I would ask him to do.

Also, I think it's important for you to understand that God does not call us to a church. You might think that particular group is where you are supposed to be, probably because your girlfriend goes there, but I don't believe that you, or anyone for that matter, has been "called" to a particular group. It sounds to me like you really don't feel like you belong there anyway.

The first thing that you should do is get your Bible, find out where the Bible contradicts the things that your preacher is preaching. Confront him with the word of God. If that doesn't work then you need to take another person with you and show him why you believe that he is wrong. If that doesn't work then you need to consult the elders. If that doesn't work, then you have tried to share the truth, and it's time to leave.

Upvote 0

Achichem

Faithful
Aug 9, 2003
✟1,857.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
aggie03 said:
There's some serious problem with what you have just described to me. It sounds like he doesn't understand that first of all there is a division between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. When Christ fulfilled all of the prophets and Law the Old Covenant was done away with and the New was put in place. This takes care of many problems. Nowhere in the New Covenant is the command to tithe given - nowhere is there any command of "seeding" for anything. I would like him to show from the Bible that what he is teaching is true, and if I were you this is what I would ask him to do.

Also, I think it's important for you to understand that God does not call us to a church. You might think that particular group is where you are supposed to be, probably because your girlfriend goes there, but I don't believe that you, or anyone for that matter, has been "called" to a particular group. It sounds to me like you really don't feel like you belong there anyway.

The first thing that you should do is get your Bible, find out where the Bible contradicts the things that your preacher is preaching. Confront him with the word of God. If that doesn't work then you need to take another person with you and show him why you believe that he is wrong. If that doesn't work then you need to consult the elders. If that doesn't work, then you have tried to share the truth, and it's time to leave.
:D, if you think it simpley passed away, then I do not think you understand why it was first there.

It does sound like a bad situation, I would like you to ask your self if youa re still called there? Because i know I have been called to one church but only to bring me so far.Before the flaw of their teaching was reveled by grace and prayer.Then i found another, I would be watchful, it sounds not good at all?

So does he teach that tieth 10% regular, 10% Holy days(which you probley don't even do), 10% poor(which is coverd in your taxes)?

definley go challage him ,but also in the mean time check out your options, mabey you can help him from his tangent, perhaps you can not, either way do whats best for God, not inner feelings.

May Our Father most holy give you strenth and words,
Datsar

Upvote 0

xtxArchxAngelxtx

Peace Keeper
Aug 18, 2003
Dayton Ohio
Visit site
✟16,903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
The bible says to go with scripture and witnesses.

If you truly beleive the teaching is wrong, say in your church, then confront it humbly. Ask why they teach what they teach. If you feel they are wrong, then leave the church.

This contrary to aggie (sorry) but I beleive you are called to a specific church. We are to always have some authority above us. If we jump from church to church all the time, then we have no authority REAL authority to submit to. On the contrary again to aggie (sorry... for real) but if your motivation for a church is b/c your g/f or b/f goes there (and let's jsut say you are young, very young, like my age) then you need to question what your motivation is on why you are there.

If the people are Godly and doctrine seems to be accurate, go for it. Hope that what they teach strikes a neerve. Scripture says that people will want their ears to be "tickled." Truth hurts, and the word of God is truth, if you sermons are not convicting you to do what is good, and not encouragin all the same, then check the leaderships motivation.

Upvote 0

sracer

Humble Servant
Oct 17, 2002
Visit site
✟7,715.00
xtxArchxAngelxtx, makes excellent points and offers sound advice.

If I'm not mistaken, the teachings you disagree with are ones that are fundamental distinctives of the "Word of Faith" church.

So if you disagree with those teachings, then you're basically disagreeing with "Word of Faith". Which leads to the question of why you felt you were being led to that particular church.

I believe that when we are born-again, the Holy Spirit guides us to a church or fellowship that nurture us, comfort us, and where we can comfort and nurture others. Sometimes that "guiding" can be instantaneous... or take years. And it depends upon what we need at that particular time.

When you're attending the "right" church, you know it. It feels right... (I can't really explain it any better than that)

Whatever you decide to do, do it in prayer, do it in love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.