Logan City
✟757,789.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
9.32pm, Sunday Evening, proper Queensland time.

Unlike Paidiske's crowd we don't have daylight saving. I don't like it myself.

Where she lives they can probably straddle the NSW-Victoria border when they've nothing better to do on a Saturday night, but we're in the tropics and sub-tropics here and regional Queensland doesn't want it, even if the main population centre in SE Queensland do.

• Informative
Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Where she lives they can probably straddle the NSW-Victoria border when they've nothing better to do on a Saturday night....
Mate, have you seen that river?

It's 9:05am. Time to get on with Monday.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Maybe. I'm not sure there's a clear point in the river which is clearly identified as the border. I believe there have been jurisdictional disputes about crimes involving the river.

What time is it? Time for more caffeine. I'm not sure I have the energy for everything on my list today!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,789.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That sounds like a good idea. I might go and make a cup myself.

I'm only on here to get out of doing some work that I should be doing in the back yard, so I'd better get up and make a start.

As for border disputes due to the river it would seem someone got away with murder at least once -

In another rather unusual case dealing with boundaries and jurisdiction between states, (Ward v the Queen (1980) 142 CLR 308) the High Court considered whether a murder on the Murray River had taken place in Victoria or New South Wales. The shot was fired from Victoria (from the top of the riverbank); the victim was at the water’s edge on the Victorian side of the river. The border of NSW was the River Murray (its south side) and the High Court held that it ended at the top of the riverbank, which meant that Ward’s victim died in NSW. The High Court considered that the terminatory theory of crime determined jurisdiction, and that meant Ward’s murder conviction in the Victorian Supreme Court was set aside!
One has an image of cops standing on the river bank pushing the body with barge poles to make sure it didn't land on their side.

Years ago there used to be a weekly article in one of the Sunday papers entitled "Our Strange Past" by George Blaikie. That particular case would have been right up his alley.

One of his stories can be found here.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,789.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The NSW-Queensland border at the twin towns of Tweed Heads (NSW) and Coolangatta (Qld) on the Gold Coast would have been even more demanding as a lot of people work on either side of the border there.

The population of the Gold Coast is about half a million (more than Canberra) and the norther rivers section of NSW about 300,000 so it must have been a real pain for the police to enforce the blockade.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums