Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I use my Thompson chain reference and a Greek Interlinear, and my old beat-up Strongs concordance. I used to have Zodhiates's New Testament. I loved that, along with his Bible dictionary - a friend bought them for me - but I have never found them after I moved to Missouri..... one day I guess I'll replace them......

blessings
tal

Upvote 0

jrlinz

Aug 21, 2006
Katy TX
✟11,720.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a lot of periphrial study aids, but getting down to just Bibles (which are, after all, what it's all about), I have most versions of study Bibles. I love NIV and NLT study bibles for their ease in understanding. For memory and poetry in reading aloud and quoting, I really prefer KJV, so I have a KJV/Amplified parallel. Keep in mind NLT and Amplified are "paraphrased', and not linear translations. Considering that much of what goes into all study bibles is (as it must be) opinion and conjecture, if I had to make one choice, I would select the KJV/Amp Paralllel bible. Study Bibles and aids are great, I heartily recommend getting one or several. Just don't let it take the place of prayer and meditation.

Upvote 0

JEBrady

Mar 24, 2006
NY
✟17,370.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I really don’t have many study bibles, and these days I don’t use their study features. I have more than a dozen translations of the NT. I find a good cc reference handy. The only Bible with commentary notes that I might use is Dake’s. I don’t like reading it, though, because I really don’t like the KJV. Nothing like having to translate your translation. I also use Wuest’s NT translation, Wilson’s, Vines, and Strong’s for language helps.

My Franklin electronic bible was really handy before it expired.

My favorite translations are NASB, NKJV, ESV. Pretty much in that order. I really dislike NIV, but that was good when I was a new Christian.

For a study, I spend more time on the computer with a study program than with the paper helps, but I use both. Vines, Strong’s and about 6 translations and a bunch of other books I use rarely are on the computer, and anything I have there is much faster to find and copy into a word processor.

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I enjoy the Amplified New Testament :thumbsup:
and we also have many study aides I guess is what they are - The Word Study New Testament, Word Studies in the Greek New Testament, Crudens Concordance, The Footnoted Recovery Version http://online.recoveryversion.org/ and I also use Life Studies of the Bible and an online Bible search. I also have a few Jewish Publication Society Bibles - Old Testament only of course. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jrlinz

Aug 21, 2006
Katy TX
✟11,720.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have no experience with this Bible, but remembered seeing it during a search on Amazon. You pays your money, and you takes your chances.
Healing Bible Link:
http://http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0785256822

Edit: Can anyone advise on this Bible, pro or con?

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,313.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
BillR said:
I have the John MacArthur study Bible in the NKJV.

Bill :thumbsup:
That's not one I would personally recomend. I don't like the way he reinterprets scripture when the meaning doesn't fit his personal doctrine. I believe that God is well capable of watchng over His word during translation, and that professional Biblical linguists are far more capable of accurate translation than some preacher with an agenda to promote, and books to sell.

I just use "The Comparative Study Bible," which is a parallel with KJV, (helps when attacked by a KJVonlyist), Amplified, (which is a direct translation, but not word for word), NASB, (my least favorite of the 4), and NIV. An exhaustive concordance is quite useful. I like the ESV too, but the parallel is bulky enough to carry, without adding another Bible with it. I really don't go for commentaries very much, it seems like adding someone else's fallibility to my own, (since I bring my own into it anyway), and so much popular, bad doctrine can be traced to well-respected commentaries.

One of the advantages of the parallel Bible is that by having the different translations side-by-side I have seen that they all say the same thing differently, if taken in context. It also makes it easy to bust a teacher when they try to change scripture, and all four of my translations agree with each other, but not him.

The Amplified is a translation, but the translators used as many English words as they thought necessary to convey the meaning of the passage, which may make it seem like a paraphrase.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.