Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
If we keep God's commandments he love us. But if we don't keep, how we can say he love us?
Because he says he loves us. Much of Jesus teaching is about how God loves even those who don't love him, and is willing to go to great lengths to reach them. We're supposed to forgive our enemies because God forgives his.

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

Goodhuman

Jan 7, 2020
dfgdfsgdf
✟58,992.00
Country
Cambodia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God not come to save us but to show us the way we can save ourselves.
John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
I think you're overplaying what this means. Obviously God is pleased with those who do what he wants. But that doesn't mean that he rejects everyone else. You need to read all the Gospels, not just a few passages. He wants everyone to be like this, and is willing to abandon 99 good people to go after the one who has strayed.

One of the major points of Romans is that we can't save ourselves. If we had to merit salvation, the only way we could do so would be perfection, and that's not possible for anyone. Fortunately, we don't have to do this, because God loves us anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: Jamdoc
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I did absolutely nothing to be saved apart from accepting Christ as Lord and saviour. When I stand before my Lord on that day, I will be boasting in what He has done for me, not what I have done for Him.

Please tell me what part of "gift" is the result of works? If you work for something, then it's not a gift. To gain a gift simply requires you to accept it.

Most people do not want to be be saved. It's that simple. There are a number of reasons. Some are too proud to admit that they are sinners. Some believe that they are strong enough in themselves to make it to heaven. Others refuse to believe God's way of salvation, thinking that there must be a catch.

Once an individual is born again, then the process of the salvation of the soul begins. That is where the cost has to be paid. To be born again costs nothing. To be saved in the soul costs everything. Even that is by God's grace. Even the desire to be a kingdom Christian comes from God. We then must decide whether to be led by the Life of Christ within or by our own thoughts and feelings. The narrow path and the cross is choosing the way of Christ in preference to our own ways. We start the path through accepting the cross of Christ as our own cross. We continue on the path by dying to self daily.

To be born again costs nothing. To be a disciple costs everything.
You left out.

Matthew 11:30
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
You left out.

Matthew 11:30
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.
Oh, I left out huge amounts. Including, 'Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent."' John 6:29

Upvote 0

Goodhuman

Jan 7, 2020
dfgdfsgdf
✟58,992.00
Country
Cambodia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think you're overplaying what this means. Obviously God is pleased with those who do what he wants. But that doesn't mean that he rejects everyone else. You need to read all the Gospels, not just a few passages. He wants everyone to be like this, and is willing to abandon 99 good people to go after the one who has strayed.

One of the major points of Romans is that we can't save ourselves. If we had to merit salvation, the only way we could do so would be perfection, and that's not possible for anyone. Fortunately, we don't have to do this, because God loves us anyway.

I don't talked about what the verse means, because it is not parable, so it is clear.
God is always watching the righteous and hate the sinner, according to bible.
It is not right to assume what I have read, because if I was not read the whole bible I wouldn't be here.
He abandan the 99 righteous, because they are righteous they will not go astray like sinners.
Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
James 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Revelation 14:5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.
1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1 Corinthians 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
Romans 9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think it's the following:

1. Faith in God.
2. Reading the bible.
3. Fasting.
4. Keeping the ten commandments.
5. Walking on God's way.
6. Be good.
7. Choosing the good, so you won't sell your soul to the devil.

What do you think?

4 Persistence in doing good, following the moral law
3 Circumcision of the heart, a seal of righteousness, grace at work
2 Faith, belief in Jesus, repenting of sin our response to Christ
1 Christs work, the cross is true

Layers of reality, going from 1 to 4.
Each layer builds on the one below.
Failure in the layer below destroys the benefits of the layers above.

Grace justifies us before the Lord, and obeying the law transforms us into Christs likeness. Amen

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1. Faith in God.
2. Reading the bible.
3. Fasting.
5. Walking on God's way.
6. Be good.

What do you think?
We can't make any steps toward God for his salvation because we are born dead to him according to Ephesians 2:1-3. We can't reach up to him, so he reached down to us through Jesus to lift us up to him. Jesus lived a perfect life that we can't, died in our place to take our guilt on himself and give us his righteousness, and gave us the new birth through his resurrection and the desire to repent (Ephesians 2:4-9) by grace through faith. He then enables us to do good works which he planned ahead of time (Ephesians 2:10). Those are the steps of salvation.

• Winner
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

1. Faith in God.
2. Reading the bible.
3. Fasting.
5. Walking on God's way.
6. Be good.

What do you think?

You are wrong!

Trusting in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus for your sin is all that is needed to be saved!

Rom. 10:9
Eph. 2:8-9

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I'd say that's Pelagianism, but I think even Pelagius would have been offended by this statement.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

1. Faith in God.
2. Reading the bible.
3. Fasting.
5. Walking on God's way.
6. Be good.

What do you think?
"Calling for lights, the jailer rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. Then he brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, you and your household (Acts 16:29-31)." Believe in Jesus as your Savior and you are saved. God will take it from there.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

1. Faith in God.
What is required for salvation? 1. Being a sinner. 2. Hearing the gospel. 3. Receiving what is heard with a humble mind and heart. 4. Believing that Jesus is the Son of God. Believing that Jesus rose from the dead. 5. Making a statement or confession that is in line with what is believed in the heart.

What is required for growing in salvation?.. becoming a mature child of God?
2. Reading the bible.
Peter wrote, as babes, desire the sincere milk of God's Word to grow thereby. To the Jew, the Torah is such milk. The Torah is the whole of the old testament. The word Torah has the Hebrew word 'or' in it that directly means 'light'. So, the entrance of God's Word gives light and understanding (discerning, insight) to the simple. The simple are 'the babes'.. the children, the kindergartners.
3. Fasting.
Only on personal occasions., it's not mandated that every Christian fast.
Jesus suggested that the disciples fast in order to exercise the divine authority needed to cast out a demon.
Rom.13 says that Love is the fulfilling of the law therefore applying the ten commandments is Loving others, therefore fulfilling God's law to Love God and Love your neighbor as yourself.
5. Walking on God's way.
God's way of Love includes walking in His righteousness, peace, and joy.
6. Be good.
By no longer having the sin nature through salvation, being a new creature in Christ, having His righteous nature in our hearts.
The soul of the believer is not even up for sale to the devil. The believer belongs to Christ lock, stock and barrel. Though that does not keep the devil from enticing you hook, line and sinker as if you still belong to him.

Yielding to the enticement does not remove your status of salvation. It simply means that you've not resisted the enticement. For that the devil will condemn you as if you've lost your salvation. But he's always a liar.
When we've yielded to our soulish minds to engage in a wrong behavior or a lust of the flesh, our hearts will convict us. That conviction tells us that we are still a child of God. For God disciplines those who are His.

In comparison, the rare case of a mature believer (I use the example of the apostle Paul) would have to renounce their salvation, renounce the Savior Jesus Christ, and completely turn their back on God and His Word. For them there is no way of repentance that they would give that would suffice. Because they have trashed on the blood of Jesus therefore with finality it will no longer work to cleanse them from their unrighteousness of blasphemy.

But such is not the same thing as the believer who isn't mature in their salvation so they yield to the old habits established while unsaved. For those who value the shed blood of Jesus, they can repent of their sins and be cleansed from all unrighteousness and continue to have joy in their salvation through Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

1. Faith in God.
2. Reading the bible.
3. Fasting.
5. Walking on God's way.
6. Be good.

What do you think?

Romans 10:9
John 3:16
John 5:24

It's so much simpler than what you think.
Look at the story of the repentent thief on the cross next to Jesus in Luke 23:40-43.
Did that thief read the bible?
Did that thief intentionally fast for spiritual reasons?
Did that thief keep the 10 commandments?
Was that thief good, choose to do good, or walk in God's way?
NO

He confessed that he was a sinner and DESERVED his execution, and he believed that Jesus was the Son of God and believed that Jesus could save him from his sins. THAT WAS IT. Jesus PROMISED him he was saved just from that!

That's powerful verses to me to show just how free salvation is, just how GOOD Jesus is to forgive someone no matter how bad they are. How bad a sinner you are is absolutely drowned out by how good a saviour the Lord Jesus Christ is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RodMartinJr

Jun 5, 2020
Cebu
Visit site
✟7,818.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

1. Faith in God.
2. Reading the bible.
3. Fasting.
5. Walking on God's way.
6. Be good.

What do you think?

All of the above could be summed up with one, namely: Following Christ's commandments.

But the wrinkle resides in the meanings of the words. What does "follow" mean? What about "faith?" And what exactly do each of Christ's commandments mean. No one on Earth knows the mind of God, so we ALL need to remain humble, for the Heavenly Father has more to teach us. Our humility must be to God and to Christ's teachings; not to the interpretations of men.

Matthew 7:13-14
2 Corinthians 3:3-8

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It all starts with God .....It is HE that has the initiative, not us.....
“ NOBODY comes to God lest the Spirit draw him” How does the Spirit “ draw” men? By the Conviction Of Sin.....Nobody would ever ask to be Saved unless they saw that they were Lost.....It is the job of the Holy Spirit to open the eyes and ears of the Lost Sinner....
A person must hear the Gospel and Believe the Gospel .....One must see that they are a lost Sinner who MUST have a Savior ( The “ change of mind” or Repentance ) in order to be “ fit for Heaven.”
“ Anybody that “ASKS” to be Saved WILL be Saved”......Quite simple and very True......BUT.......who is going to ask to be Saved unless they see that they are Lost? Even the Philipian Jailer realized he was in trouble and realized the need to be Saved.One must realize the NEED - That is what the Holy Spirit does.....
The Word speaks about Lydia and how God “ opened her heart” to receive the Gospel.....Peter’s Confession Of Faith , when he finally realized Just who Jesus was — that realization of the Truth, according to Jesus , was given to Peter by the Holy Spirit

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,145.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1. Faith in God.
2. Reading the bible.
3. Fasting.
5. Walking on God's way.
6. Be good.

What do you think?

Follow 1 Cor 15:1-4

Believe Jesus died for your sins and that he rose from the dead on the 3rd day.

And that's it, you are saved.

Upvote 0

RodMartinJr

Jun 5, 2020
Cebu
Visit site
✟7,818.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It all starts with God .....It is HE that has the initiative, not us...

Really? So, we don't need to do anything, simply sit back and let God do His thing? I don't think so.

Is God constant? Constantly and unconditionally loving, constantly generous, constantly humble (no boisterous ego, there), constantly confident (definitely not timid), and constantly responsible!

We are the ones who decide whether or not we will follow Christ. We are the ones who decide whether or not we will come closer to God so that we can receive His gifts. God's initiative has always been and always will be; it is up to each of us individually to decide to be more like the Heavenly Father -- unconditionally loving, perfectly responsible, utterly humble and fearlessly confident. God gave us the free will to do this; it is only up to us to take up this challenge. When we do, then God can and will give us all of His blessings.

Jesus Christ said that the way is narrow and difficult. Please! Let us not contradict him.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,145.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Really? So, we don't need to do anything, simply sit back and let God do His thing? I don't think so.

Is God constant? Constantly and unconditionally loving, constantly generous, constantly humble (no boisterous ego, there), constantly confident (definitely not timid), and constantly responsible!

We are the ones who decide whether or not we will follow Christ. We are the ones who decide whether or not we will come closer to God so that we can receive His gifts. God's initiative has always been and always will be; it is up to each of us individually to decide to be more like the Heavenly Father -- unconditionally loving, perfectly responsible, utterly humble and fearlessly confident. God gave us the free will to do this; it is only up to us to take up this challenge. When we do, then God can and will give us all of His blessings.

Jesus Christ said that the way is narrow and difficult. Please! Let us not contradict him.

Does romans 4:5 contradict what you think Jesus was saying?

Upvote 0