What should I pay attention to if I want to know whether a given piece of text is divinely inspired?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Epistemologically speaking, when a Christian is faced with a given piece of text, manuscript, book, etc., how does he or she go about deciding whether the material at hand is divinely inspired or not? What features of the text itself, or about its origin, or about whatever might be relevant do Christians pay attention to in order to decide if the piece of text they have in front of them was divinely inspired? For example, let's say someone is handing out cards with quotes from the Book of Mormon, and I receive one. What should I do in order to decide if the quote I received is divinely inspired?

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Epistemologically speaking, when a Christian is faced with a given piece of text, manuscript, book, etc., how does he or she go about deciding whether the material at hand is divinely inspired or not? What features of the text itself, or about its origin, or about whatever might be relevant do Christians pay attention to in order to decide if the piece of text they have in front of them was divinely inspired? For example, let's say someone is handing out cards with quotes from the Book of Mormon, and I receive one. What should I do in order to decide if the quote I received is divinely inspired?
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” 2 Timothy 3:16–17 (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟379,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
  1. Study with an open heart and mind, with no preconceived notions.
  2. Pray for the Holy Spirit for discernment (Jeremiah 29:13).
  3. Read the Bible as if God is speaking directly to you, because He is. Let the words jump off the page and speak to you personally (2 Timothy 3:16-17).
  4. By two or three witnesses (Matthew 18:16) the truth will be established. Cross-reference scripture (using concordance, etc.) to find other scripture that verifies the interpretation of a subject. In doing this we are rightfully dividing the truth (2 Timothy 2:15).

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about deuterocanonical books?
They are not scripture. Do you know how to tell if a writing is scripture? You need to study this so you don't get led astray.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
We have the Holy Spirit within to lead us into the truth. He will give us insight and warn us if something is false. If we are not able to hear the Holy Spirit, we have God's word, which is the standard that we should discern by.

Trying to work it out by intellectual means is fraught with danger. We can be deceived in our minds, but the Spirit is never wrong. If we are not sure, we need to pray about it. It's fine to say, "I don't know". Never accept anything until you are sure.
The epistemological approach is not going to work. God's word is spiritual. It must be discerned spiritually.
Colossians 2:8
"See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ."

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While they may be insightful and helpful, they are not divinely inspired. If you know who the author is, try to find information on her/his belief system.

How do you know which books are divinely inspired and which books aren't?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The Lord has revealed His mind in Holy Writ. This is His infallible Word which is the rule for discovering the truth and deciding all controversies in religion. He has done this in His deep wisdom and love to prevent anything that might cause us to be deluded.

Any teachings regardless where they come from must not contradict His written Word.

Acts 17:11

New International Version
Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

An honest seeker after God will not read religious books or listen to voices apart from the Holy Bible; and should begin at John 3; John 14; and note John 5:39-40; and Romans 8; etc. The Gospel of salvation is in the Word of God, not in religion of men. Look up, friend!

• Winner
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
An honest seeker after God will not read religious books or listen to voices apart from the Holy Bible; and should begin at John 3; John 14; and note John 5:39-40; and Romans 8; etc. The Gospel of salvation is in the Word of God, not in religion of men. Look up, friend!

The point is, how do you know the Bible itself is inspired, to begin with, epistemologically speaking?

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Apply it to your life and see it come to life for you.

Can I apply this test with any other book? For example, If I want to know whether deuterocanonical books are inspired, can I apply them to my life and see if they come to life for me?

Or what about the Book of Mormon? Can I apply the Book of Mormon to my life and see if it comes to life for me?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
When you have a close connection to the Lord that you hear and confirm by inspired scripture, your confidence grows, that you know from confirmations before when the Lord puts His finger on it and speaks to your heart the inspired word, making them alive. That is how you know it comes from God inspired. Deciding on works by the dictates of church leaders, fellow believers, on their own, is not inspired confirmation as to the value in God's eyes. Only God can inspire truth in whatever form it comes in. Prayer and listening to Him in prayer is the way to develop this relationship of confidence in His communication with you.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can I apply this test with any other book? For example, If I want to know whether deuterocanonical books are inspired, can I apply them to my life and see if they come to life for me?

Or what about the Book of Mormon? Can I apply the Book of Mormon to my life and see if it comes to life for me?

Humbling yourself before God is also a gift from God. He places the desire within you to repent of sin. if God is calling you, running from it will not cancel His calling. Resist you will, but your time is limited and you will submit. Peace of Jesus be with you.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟379,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
My personal preference is the King James version, because the language speaks to me like no other translation. I also use the Amplified Bible to expand on the intended meaning of the verse (if needed), which I've found to be quite accurate. The Bible is the living word of God and it will speak to you directly, if you believe, and you are truly seeking with a sincere heart.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The point is, how do you know the Bible itself is inspired, to begin with, epistemologically speaking?
Because the Catholic Church says it is inspired. That was the basic criteria Augustine used 1650 years ago and it works today too. See Augustine's 'On Christian Doctrine'.

If you think about it, the community that Jesus founded gave us the books of the Bible and the canon of the Bible. Trust the community that Jesus founded.

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Epistemologically speaking, when a Christian is faced with a given piece of text, manuscript, book, etc., how does he or she go about deciding whether the material at hand is divinely inspired or not?

What features of the text itself, or about its origin, or about whatever might be relevant do Christians pay attention to in order to decide if the piece of text they have in front of them was divinely inspired? For example, let's say someone is handing out cards with quotes from the Book of Mormon, and I receive one. What should I do in order to decide if the quote I received is divinely inspired?

This isn't something for each individual to decide. The church of Jesus Christ was promised by Our Lord that it would be guided by the Holy Spirit and kept from going off the rails. Likewise, he said that he counted on the household of faith--that's the people of the church--to adhere to the true Gospel.

The process of determining which books, written in the early days of the Christian era, were truly inspired while others were excluded was not an easy process. Nevertheless, the church (not any particular denomination) made that decision based upon the coherence and continuity of the texts themselves, and also, upon the fact that this was the view of the congregations of Christians throughout the Roman world.

Did the Holy Spirit protect the church in this process? Has he continued to do so in all the centuries following during which essentially the same books have been considered to be inspired? There is a great probability of the answer being "yes." Meanwhile, no other (alleged) Scriptures, the Book of Mormon included, have the same standing. Besides, the BOM is full or errors and changes, unlike the books of the Bible.

So although it may be too much to say that you have proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that the Bible is true, the probability is very high. What's more, skeptics have challenged the Bible many times over the centuries and the Bible always proved itself reliable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0