Naarden
✟20,776.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, my brothers and sisters in Faith. I have a question that I've been thinking of a lot lately, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I have been asking this question to a lot of people lately: "What REALLY happened when Jesus died for our sins?"
The explanations in the Bible and the ones that I get from prayers are often cryptic, and only understandable by the heart and not really by the mind.
Often times people will say a couple of similar things. I will name those answers below and comment on the questions they raise to me. Maybe you could help me answer them.

(1) "Jesus has freed us/bought us from sin by sacrificing his pure human life. The Devil can't claim us anymore, like he could do before."
(??) But we aren't really free from sin now, are we? I mean, we are still tempted to do sinful things.

(2) "Jesus has fulfilled the law, embodied it and has therefore freed us from it."
(??) But Jesus said that the law is still every bit as important as it used to be, right? So what changed in our relationship with the law if we still need to follow it?

(3) "Jesus has built the ultimate bridge between humanity and God. Now each of us can have a personal relationship with God."
(??) But does that mean that a relationship with God was impossible before Jesus' death? Abraham, Jacob, Moses and tons of other people had contact with God, right? Also, Buddha for example was a highly spiritual person, so I suppose the Holy Spirit also flowed through him, right? So if prayer, divine inspiration and contact with God were all possible before the Cross, then what really changed in our relationship with God? What got bridged?

(4) "Jesus has freed all the people from purgatory and brought us the option to go to heaven." (I'm really not clear on this one)
(??) Yeah, I don't get the implications of Jesus' death and resurrection to the afterlife at all. So hell kind of existed before, but purgatory doesn't anymore? But people can still go to
hell, so we're not free, right? Also, was there a heaven for us people to go to before Jesus?

(last question) So my last question would be, what were the practical differences for a person before and after the cross? What really changed inside and outside of every person 2000 years ago? For example, what changed in the aboriginal people at that time? Were they also able to feel the planetary change that Jesus had ushered in?

Thank you so much for reading and answering my question. It really helps my development in Faith. If you guys could, I would really like you all to keep your answers as practical, simple and non-cryptic as possible. Thank you all :).
Greats, Kees.

Reactions: BobRyan

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello, my brothers and sisters in Faith. I have a question that I've been thinking of a lot lately, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I have been asking this question to a lot of people lately: "What REALLY happened when Jesus died for our sins?"
The explanations in the Bible and the ones that I get from prayers are often cryptic, and only understandable by the heart and not really by the mind.
Often times people will say a couple of similar things. I will name those answers below and comment on the questions they raise to me. Maybe you could help me answer them.

(1) "Jesus has freed us/bought us from sin by sacrificing his pure human life. The Devil can't claim us anymore, like he could do before."

Jesus was God incarnate. Fully God in a human body. The wages of sin are death (eternal death) ... His sacrifice defeated eternal death and all sin and sin is defined by the 10 Commandments - Gods Law - and those laws are eternal.

(??) But we aren't really free from sin now, are we? I mean, we are still tempted to do sinful things. No we are not free from sin (we have a sin nature) nor temptations. Jesus helps us through our struggles ...and we stumble a lot.

(2) "Jesus has fulfilled the law, embodied it and has therefore freed us from it."
(??) But Jesus said that the law is still every bit as important as it used to be, right? So what changed in our relationship with the law if we still need to follow it? The law is eternal .... same as above. Because He was God incarnate ... He was the only one capable of keeping eternal law.

(3) "Jesus has built the ultimate bridge between humanity and God. Now each of us can have a personal relationship with God." Yes, in that we do not require a priest, Jesus is our high priest. He intermediates between us and God Almighty.

(??) But does that mean that a relationship with God was impossible before Jesus' death? Abraham, Jacob, Moses and tons of other people had contact with God, right? Also, Buddha for example was a highly spiritual person, so I suppose the Holy Spirit also flowed through him, right? So if prayer, divine inspiration and contact with God were all possible before the Cross, then what really changed in our relationship with God? What got bridged? They had communication/relationship with God but the plan of salvation had not yet happened.

They had the sacrificial/ceremonial system in place, which by the way was told to be put in place by God. But if you study that system carefully what that system was all about was pointing to Jesus and the plan of salvation through Him.

(4) "Jesus has freed all the people from purgatory and brought us the option to go to heaven." (I'm really not clear on this one) This is a Catholic teaching, I do not find support for in in the Holy Bible.

(??) Yeah, I don't get the implications of Jesus' death and resurrection to the afterlife at all. So hell kind of existed before, but purgatory doesn't anymore? But people can still go to
hell, so we're not free, right? Also, was there a heaven for us people to go to before Jesus? All people are in the grave saved and unsaved and at the 1st resurrection, Jesus will take all the saved with Him to heaven. There is not a continuous torturing going on by God, nor in the very end. In the very very end all the unsaved, satan and his minions and the earth will be totally destroyed by fire. Then God will make everything anew without any sin at all and the saved will live with Him for eternity.

(last question) So my last question would be, what were the practical differences for a person before and after the cross? What really changed inside and outside of every person 2000 years ago? For example, what changed in the aboriginal people at that time? Were they also able to feel the planetary change that Jesus had ushered in? The aboriginal -
(of human races, animals, and plants) inhabiting or existing in a land from the earliest times or from before the arrival of colonists; indigenous.

Go read in the Bible about the Tower of Babel where God confused the languages and scattered mankind all of the earth. Plants and animals etc ... go read about the flood.

You will get varying opinions, please compare all that you get with Gods Holy Word. The answers you seek and many many more are in His Word.

God Bless.

Thank you so much for reading and answering my question. It really helps my development in Faith. If you guys could, I would really like you all to keep your answers as practical, simple and non-cryptic as possible. Thank you all :).
Greats, Kees.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

(??) But we aren't really free from sin now, are we? I mean, we are still tempted to do sinful things.

(??) But Jesus said that the law is still every bit as important as it used to be, right? So what changed in our relationship with the law if we still need to follow it?

(3) "Jesus has built the ultimate bridge between humanity and God. Now each of us can have a personal relationship with God."
(??) But does that mean that a relationship with God was impossible before Jesus' death? Abraham, Jacob, Moses and tons of other people had contact with God, right? Also, Buddha for example was a highly spiritual person, so I suppose the Holy Spirit also flowed through him, right? So if prayer, divine inspiration and contact with God were all possible before the Cross, then what really changed in our relationship with God? What got bridged?

(4) "Jesus has freed all the people from purgatory and brought us the option to go to heaven." (I'm really not clear on this one)
hell, so we're not free, right? Also, was there a heaven for us people to go to before Jesus?

(last question) So my last question would be, what were the practical differences for a person before and after the cross? What really changed inside and outside of every person 2000 years ago? For example, what changed in the aboriginal people at that time? Were they also able to feel the planetary change that Jesus had ushered in?

Greats, Kees.

The sacrifice of Christ paid the penalty for the previous sins committed by all those who would accept it. Perhaps just as important, his apostles and their successors went "into all the world" teaching people to live their lives without sin, i.e., to change their behavior.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Greats, Kees.
Jesus died an honest man opposing lies and corruption. Instead of raise an army to try to gain a kingdom, he taught and healed people as their servant. If all he did was die, that would have been the end of it. Jesus was resurrected on the third day. He visited with believers in Jerusalem and Galilee before being lifted up on the Mount of Olives. The Holy Spirit visited believers on the day of Pentecost in a way they had not known or heard of before.

There was a centurion named Cornelius of the Italian regiment stationed at Herod's main harbor and trading port of Caesarea. Cornelius was hoping in righteousness; giving alms to the poor. He did not know much about Jesus. He may have heard rumors. The Holy Spirit directed him to send for Peter who was staying in the port city of Joppa at Simon the Tanner's house. Cornelius sent some men to invite Peter to visit. Peter was praying and had a vision and instructions to go with the men Cornelius sent. Peter was instructed not to worry that they were Gentiles and unclean by dietary laws, for God had made all these things clean. Peter and some of the Jewish believers went to the house of Cornelius. Peter preached the Gospel to them. When they heard him talk about Jesus and his teachings, they were filled with the Holy Spirit same as Jewish believers. The Gospel was being spread to Gentiles who had not known Jesus. Aboriginals in the Americas and peoples in Europe had not heard or read the Gospel message yet. Many in Israel had rejected the Gospel message.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Greats, Kees.
Recommend reading Leviticus 16 and this piece which is really good:

Cur Deus Homo by R.C. Sproul

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,731.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jesus Christ, the source of life, became man so He could die. Since death could not hold him who is life itself, death was shattered and burst asunder. Thus death no longer has any power over those who are united to Christ.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Kees Hogenbirk

Jul 6, 2018
Naarden
✟20,776.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Guys, I'm sorry, but your answers are still to vague for me to understand. Let me rephrase the question to a simpler one: Let's imagine there was a person named 'Klaus' who lived in what is now modern-day germany during the time of jesus's death where he was about 25 years old. However, Klaus had absolutely NO knowledge whatsoever of Abraham's God and Jesus Christ.
My question is: "What changed in Klaus' life after Jesus death and resureccion?"

Upvote 0

Kees Hogenbirk

Jul 6, 2018
Naarden
✟20,776.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Guys, I'm sorry, but your answers are still to vague for me to understand. Let me rephrase the question to a simpler one: Let's imagine there was a person named 'Klaus' who lived in what is now modern-day germany during the time of jesus's death where he was about 25 years old. However, Klaus had absolutely NO knowledge whatsoever of Abraham's God and Jesus Christ.
My question is: "What changed in Klaus' life after Jesus death and resureccion?"

Upvote 0

Kees Hogenbirk

Jul 6, 2018
Naarden
✟20,776.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The sacrifice of Christ paid the penalty for the previous sins committed by all those who would accept it. Perhaps just as important, his apostles and their successors went "into all the world" teaching people to live their lives without sin, i.e., to change their behavior.

Upvote 0

Kees Hogenbirk

Jul 6, 2018
Naarden
✟20,776.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus died an honest man opposing lies and corruption. Instead of raise an army to try to gain a kingdom, he taught and healed people as their servant. If all he did was die, that would have been the end of it. Jesus was resurrected on the third day. He visited with believers in Jerusalem and Galilee before being lifted up on the Mount of Olives. The Holy Spirit visited believers on the day of Pentecost in a way they had not known or heard of before.

There was a centurion named Cornelius of the Italian regiment stationed at Herod's main harbor and trading port of Caesarea. Cornelius was hoping in righteousness; giving alms to the poor. He did not know much about Jesus. He may have heard rumors. The Holy Spirit directed him to send for Peter who was staying in the port city of Joppa at Simon the Tanner's house. Cornelius sent some men to invite Peter to visit. Peter was praying and had a vision and instructions to go with the men Cornelius sent. Peter was instructed not to worry that they were Gentiles and unclean by dietary laws, for God had made all these things clean. Peter and some of the Jewish believers went to the house of Cornelius. Peter preached the Gospel to them. When they heard him talk about Jesus and his teachings, they were filled with the Holy Spirit same as Jewish believers. The Gospel was being spread to Gentiles who had not known Jesus. Aboriginals in the Americas and peoples in Europe had not heard or read the Gospel message yet. Many in Israel had rejected the Gospel message.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kees Hogenbirk

Jul 6, 2018
Naarden
✟20,776.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus Christ, the source of life, became man so He could die. Since death could not hold him who is life itself, death was shattered and burst asunder. Thus death no longer has any power over those who are united to Christ.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I think I understand your question, correct me if I'm wrong. I think it has to do with what does Christ do for a person who doesn't know him. Do I read you right?

The essential answer is "nothing." In Rom. 10, Paul asks the rhetorical question "how shall they believe if they have no preacher?" Also, Peter writes "you are born again... by the word of God." So the criteria for people being saved from the wrath of God (the final judgment) is faith in Christ, and that faith requires knowledge of Him and what He has done. "He who believes has eternal life..."

It calls us to pursue God for obtaining eternal life. Therefore, our faith must be directed toward Christ rather than ourselves or our natural abilities. This is why knowledge of God's word is required. I'll now try to answer your specific questions one by one:

The Christian life is a way, a path, a journey. In James it says "we all stumble in many ways." It is to say no one is perfect, but that doesn't negate that we are saints by the direction of our life. So "free from sin" doesn't mean we aren't tempted, neither that we are sinlessly perfect. Instead we "seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness...." Part of faith is persevering in it. This partly why God has left us in the world in mortal bodies with all its temptations. Our faith through this is in God's promise to cleanse us from sin, and that is the hope our life is built on. In Romans 8 the apostle Paul explains this by saying "For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he already sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it."

The law we are freed from is Old Covenant law, that is, the law of Moses. But since Jesus and the apostles declare that love fulfills "the law," then to love God and others is the fulfillment of the law's requirements. And this love they are talking about is the God-kind of love, in which 1 John 4 declares "love comes from God." It requires our faith in Christ and being reconciled with God to be able to love God and others in that manner. The way it applies to us today is that God's love to us is a free gift for us to simply receive it, instead of our thinking that we have to go through religious rituals and all kinds of legal hoops to get God to love us.

We are the gentiles who once had no knowledge of the Bible, therefore we are the humanity that got bridged. The apostle Paul writes that the gospel was a mystery in Old Testament times, and has been revealed to us through Christ and his apostles (the New Testament). But the gospel being a mystery doesn't mean that no one believed. "Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness," and Galatians 3 indicates that Abraham's faith was in the Christ of his future. So the saints of the Old Testament times did believe in Christ, despite the mysterious aspects of it at the time.

Incidentally, world religions are deceptions in spite of the fact that many of those people do good things as deemed by men. The kind of righteousness we need to stand righteous before God is faith in Christ. This is why Jesus said "no man comes to the Father except through Me."

IMO this statement #4 which you are objecting to is full of error in and of itself. But to answer your question, in Revelation it speaks of a "Lamb's Book of Life" in which all those who believe in Him are not subject to the "Second Death." The 2nd death is the lake of fire which is the final judgment for all the wicked, the devils, and sinners who did not believe in Christ. Everyone will be judged in this way according to their deeds - IOW because of the evil things they did in life. To avoid that judgment, we must believe in Christ who is our deliverer from sin. He delivers us from both the penalty of sin (eternal death), and from the power of sin where we are continually sanctified by the Holy Spirit. This is how our works are pleasing to God, because of our faith in Christ.

Greats, Kees.

What changed after the cross from before, specifically people who don't know God:
Now the Holy Spirit convicts people of sin, righteousness, and judgment when the gospel is preached to them. It is a supernatural event that happens whenever the gospel is preached to the general population. This did not happen prior to the church age. Before the cross, only a few select people among the Israelites/Jews were saved, but now people in all nations are being saved. But it is all by the preaching of the gospel which results in some having faith in Christ.

Hope this helps.
TD:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

‎ok ...

Genesis - God created Adam & Eve and they had communication/relationship with God. And they passed on knowledge of God and His precepts throughout the generations. That is God is, and here are His precepts and believe it (faith)

Time passes, then we have Noahs flood - God looked down on the earth and saw that everybody was wicked continuously. He did find Noah & his family.

Genesis 6:9

This is the account of Noah and his family. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God. (note faith)

Noah builds the ark over a period of about 120 years. Noah preached to the people through this time about God and his precepts. So God brings the flood and destroys all mankind except Noah & his family. During the flood, seeds of plants etc. are displaced all over the world ... some germinated ... some did not .... due to climatic differences. Animals were on the ark.

Time passes ... then we have the tower of Babel ... up to this point there was one language spoken. The people of this day had knowledge of God and His precepts through the descendants from Noah and their teachings.

Time passes.

Genesis 11

5Then the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the sons of men were building. 6And the LORD said, “If they have begun to do this as one people speaking the same language, then nothing they devise will be beyond them. 7Come, let Us go down and confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another’s speech.”

8 So the LORD scattered them from there over the face of the whole earth, and they stopped building the city. 9That is why it is called Babel, for there the LORD confused the language of the whole world, and from that place the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

So, we have people scattered all over the earth with different languages. They all had knowledge of God and His precepts however, overall were not living according to those precepts ... so the Lord confused their language and scattered them about the whole earth.

Time passes. From there they have different languages and develop into different cultures and beliefs/belief systems and we've got what we got today.

... and knowledge will increase

In your fictional scenario it would be about the condition of "Klaus" heart and only God knows about the condition of ones heart.

However, if your questions is ... Can a person be held accountable and condemned having never heard about God or Jesus? Possibly. We don't know. It's about their heart. Will some be saved and some not? It will be based on the condition of their heart, that only God knows.

Samuel 16:7

... God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

We do not have the capacity to know the hearts of men (mankind) ... only God does and His knowledge of the heart has always been and will always be until Jesus finishes judging the hearts of men (all mankind - from beginning to end) and returns.

We humans keep trying to apply ourselves and our thinking to Almighty God on things we do not have even the capacity to fully comprehend. Some certainly think they do. Foolish us and He tells us this is the case.

Isaiah 55

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

It has always been and always will be about faith. Have faith and trust in Him .... or not. If one chooses faith in Him then we have a further responsibility and that is to press toward the mark.

Philippians 3

14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

We accept Jesus ... through the Holy Spirit He helps press toward the mark. He helps us through the trials of life here on earth ... and continuously works on our hearts.
It's a life-long process ... until He returns.

God Bless.

Reactions: misput
Upvote 0

Kees Hogenbirk

Jul 6, 2018
Naarden
✟20,776.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey tdidymas! Thank you for your great answer. A few things got cleared up, which I will note down (please correct me if I'm wrong). However, I do still have a few questions.

So...

(1) CLEAR
Before the Cross: People couldn't get saved from sin.
After the Cross: People could get saved from sin, but only through Jesus.

(2) CLEAR
Before the Cross: God loved people, but only when they obeyed the laws.
After the Cross: God loved all people (not their actions), whether they obey the laws or not.

(3) UNCLEAR
I don't get your answer here. So what changed in our relationship with God after the Cross?

(4) UNCLEAR
You gave me only half of the answer.
Before the Cross: When people died: (???)
After the Cross: When people died: they can either go to heaven by believing in Christ or go to Hell via the 'second death'.
So what happened when people died before the Cross.

(FINAL) CLEAR
Before the Cross: Regular life
After the Cross:
(A) For those who don't believe in Jesus: Regular life + Unconditional Love of God
(B) for those who believe in Jesus: Regular life + Unconditional Love of God + ability to be freed from sin through Jesus + eternal life in heaven after first death.

Is this all correct? Thank you in advance.
Greets, Kees

Upvote 0

Kees Hogenbirk

Jul 6, 2018
Naarden
✟20,776.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My friend, thanks for the great effort, but this doesn't help me.
I don't understand your response as an answer to my question. Let me rephrase the question to a simpler one: Let's imagine there was a person named 'Klaus' who lived in what is now modern-day germany during the time of jesus's death where he was about 25 years old. However, Klaus had absolutely NO knowledge whatsoever of Abraham's God and Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...What really changed inside and outside of every person 2000 years ago? ...

I think it would be wise to remain in what the Bible tells. And one thing about the death is this:

Most assuredly I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains by itself alone. But if it dies, it bears much fruit.
John 12:24

Disciples were fearful before death and right after the death of Jesus. But after Jesus was raised from the death, they got courage to continue without the fear of death. And I think that is one great reason why it all happened. Other reason for the death was this:

For to this end Christ died, rose, and lived again, that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living.
Romans 14:9

The payment, I think it is only metaphorically. Because Jesus used his life for us, it can be said he sacrificed his life for us. However, God, Jesus and his disciples could forgive sins without sacrifice.

The scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, "Who is this that speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?" But Jesus, perceiving their thoughts, answered them, "Why are you reasoning so in your hearts? Which is easier to say, 'Your sins are forgiven you;' or to say, 'Arise and walk?' But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" (he said to the paralyzed man), "I tell you, arise, and take up your cot, and go to your house." Immediately he rose up before them, and took up that which he was laying on, and departed to his house, glorifying God.
Luke 5:21-25

Whoever's sins you forgive, they are forgiven them. Whoever's sins you retain, they have been retained."
John 20:23

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"What REALLY happened when Jesus died for our sins?"
However, Klaus had absolutely NO knowledge whatsoever of Abraham's God and Jesus Christ.
You ask two completely different questions.
Jesus' death did nothing for those that don't believe in him.
Your OP asks about Jesus dying for "our" sins which then assumes Christians. He died to atone for our sins and what you did not mention in the OP, give us a new covenant.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hey tdidymas! Thank you for your great answer. A few things got cleared up, which I will note down (please correct me if I'm wrong). However, I do still have a few questions.

So...

Most of it, yes:

(1) CLEAR
Before the Cross: People couldn't get saved from sin.
After the Cross: People could get saved from sin, but only through Jesus.
Actually, before the cross: only some Jews were saved from sin.
After the cross: now some of all mankind are saved from sin.

(2) CLEAR
Before the Cross: God loved people, but only when they obeyed the laws.
After the Cross: God loved all people (not their actions), whether they obey the laws or not.
Additional note: Before and after the cross, those who obey God are those who trust Him. (I'm trying to qualify the phrase "but only when they obeyed the laws"). I also qualify the phrase "whether they obey the laws or not" meaning specifically the laws of Moses, that is the entire book of laws. The ones who love God obey His moral ethics because that's God's nature which doesn't change.
The Old Testament (before the cross) declares that God loves those who love Him, namely Jews.
The New Testament (after the cross) reveals that God really loves all people.

(3) UNCLEAR
I don't get your answer here. So what changed in our relationship with God after the Cross?

When you say "our," I'm unclear as to who you are talking about. In the world there are unbelievers and believers. Believers were once unbelievers, and when they become believers through the gospel, that's when the relationship of individuals with God is changed. In regard to the world in general, before the cross only Jews were accepted into God's kingdom, and after the cross people of all nations are accepted. It's kind of multidimensional, so I don't know how to make it simpler than that. It depends on what group we're talking about.

You asked if before the cross relationship with God was impossible - it was except for Jews who had a kind of national relationship with God, so many Jews had such relationship. It's just that at the time, no other nation had a possibility of a saving relationship. Someone had to become a Jew by conversion to have that, since the Jews held the oracles of God.

(4) UNCLEAR
You gave me only half of the answer.
Before the Cross: When people died: (???)
After the Cross: When people died: they can either go to heaven by believing in Christ or go to Hell via the 'second death'.
So what happened when people died before the Cross.
Before the cross, people still went to paradise ("heaven") by belief in Christ. It's just at that time they didn't know exactly who he was. Everyone else went to torment.

(FINAL) CLEAR
Before the Cross: Regular life
After the Cross:
(A) For those who don't believe in Jesus: Regular life + Unconditional Love of God
(B) for those who believe in Jesus: Regular life + Unconditional Love of God + ability to be freed from sin through Jesus + eternal life in heaven after first death.

Is this all correct? Thank you in advance.
Greets, Kees
On the last one, you have the gist of it, except that I'm not quite clear as to your full meanings. I realize you're trying to boil it down to simplistic statements. I think it will do for now.
TD:)

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Satan was not “paid off” by Christ going to the cross. God does not owe satan anything and can certainly easily and safely take away from satan anything.

Jesus is not taking our free will away from us, so even as Christians we can still quench the Spirit and sin.

Read more below to find out what really is happening.
In some ways there are even more “rules” we get to obey.

Trying to follow the “Law” to earn our salvation is just not possible, so we need a remedy for sinning, but the Law does not provide a remedy for rebellious disobedience other that banishment or death and we are all guilty of these types of sin. The answer to this gets really wordy since it has to do with understanding atonement. I also read the rest of your questions which stem from a misunderstanding of atonement, which many teach unfortunately. I will skip to an explanation of atonement and we can go back afterwards if you feel it does not address your questions.

Greats, Kees.
We can work on this together and draw our own most likely alternative interpretation that will be very biblical, consistent and logical.

To begin with:

During the time of Christ, the Jewish people in and around Jerusalem would have had a much better understanding of atonement since atonement sacrifices were going on every hour at the temple, maybe thousands each day. All mature adults would have most likely participated in the individual process of atonement, but this was only for unintentional sins (really minor sins) since intentional sins had no Old Testament system for atonement.

Those only able to afford a bag of flour (Lev. 5) certainly would not have considered that bag of flour to be a “substitute” for them. There is nothing to suggest the Jewish people ever thought of any sacrifices to be substitutes for them. So what did they experience in this atonement process for unintentional sins?

If we could relate to their atonement experience for “minor” sins we might be able to extrapolate to what the atonement process would be like for intentional sins? (Read Lev. 5)

Forgiveness for unintentional sins came after the completion of the atonement process (Lev. 5), but did God need a bag of flour to forgive the person’s sins?

Would God need anything to forgive a person’s sins or is it the person needing something to accept that forgiveness as pure charity?

Christ Crucified is described by Paul, Peter, Jesus, John and the Hebrew writer as a literal ransom payment (it is not even said to be like a ransom payment, but it was a ransom payment)?

I find the ransom description more than just an analogy to be an excellent fit and I am not talking about the “Ransom Theory of Atonement”

(The “Ransom Theory of Atonement” has God paying satan the cruel torture, humiliation and murder of Christ but: Does God owe Satan anything? Is there some cosmic “law” saying you have to pay the kidnapper? Would it not be wrong for God to pay satan, if God could just as easily and safely take back His children without paying satan?)

Would a ransom as those in the first century might understand it (it was well known Caesura at 21 had been kidnapped and a ransom paid for him) included the following elements:

1. Someone other than the captive paying the ransom.

2. The payment is a huge sacrificial payment for the payer, who would personally prefer not to pay.

3. Since those that come to God must come as children, it is the children of God that go to the Father.

4. The payer cannot safely or for some other reason get his children by any other way than making the payment.

5. The kidnapper is totally undeserving.

6. The kidnapper can accept or reject the payment.

Go to Luke 15: 11-32 the prodigal son story to illustrate:

Who in the middle of the night snuck in and dragged off the young son, force the son to do evil stuff and finally chained him to a pigsty starving to death? (this is not the way it happened, but the child of the father was kidnapped.)

Who returned to the father, was it the son that rebelliously wished his father’s death so he could get his inheritance or was it the child of the father?

We can only come to our Father as children, so who is keeping the nonbeliever in the unbelieving state (who is this kidnapper)?

There is the one ransom, but could there be many kidnappers and many children?

Who are the kidnappers?

Looking at verses in particular:

(NIV) Ro. 3:25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished—

“God presented” this might be better expressed as “God is offering” since it will later be received, received or rejected on the contingency of some kind of “faith”. Instead of “received” it might better be translated as accepted (with the option of being rejected or not accepted).

“Sacrifice of atonement” is described by Jesus, Paul, Peter, John and the Hebrew writer as the “ransom payment” or just “ransom”. So God is offering a ransom payment to be accepted by those with faith or rejected by those refusing or just not accepted by those lacking faith.

A huge part of that ransom payment that especially applies to those that are already Christians is the life giving cleansing blood of Christ. Christ and God would have personally preferred that blood remained in Christ’s veins, but I needed it given up by Christ to flow over both my outside and my heart to know, experience, “trust” and feel I am cleansed and made alive. So Christ willingly gave up His blood for me and because of me. This is an overwhelming tragedy I insisted on to believe: I was made holy, righteous and stand justified. Without knowing and feeling this blood flowing over my heart, I might question my cleansing?

“Demonstrate his righteousness” God did not become righteous, but just showed the righteousness He has always had. (God’s justice/ holiness/being right) comes with the atoning sacrifice that includes the life giving cleansing blood showing God’s righteousness/justice in a very particular way; by resolving the huge problem that existed under the Old Covenant. That huge problem in the Old Covenant was with the handling of intentional sins that where committed, repented of, and which the individual sought forgiveness from God for doing (and God forgave without justly disciplining the sinner [thus not showing His righteousness through His disciplining]). These sins could be forgiven by God, but there was no way to fairly/justly discipline (punish) the sinner and still have the sinner live in the Promised Land. God did have fair/just punishments (discipline) for these sins, but the Jews could not follow through with them, since all Jews deserved to be treated similarly (there would be no one left in the Promised Land).

“in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished” Instead of “unpunished” I would translate that Greek word to be “undisciplined”.

“because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished”, shows the contrast between before and after the cross. This is not saying: “before the cross sins are now being punished by Christ going to the cross”, but is saying they were left unpunished prior to the cross. If they are being handled the “same way” as sins after the cross there would be no contrast? (And there are lots of other problems with this reasoning.) There is no “punishment” (disciplining for intentional sins) before the cross yet there is “punishment” (disciplining of God’s children) with the cross.

Any good parent realizes the need for not just forgiving their rebellious disobedient child, but to also see to the child’s fair/just/loving discipline if at all possible, but under the Old Covenant there was no “fair/just/loving discipline” so God could not show His justice/righteousness except to point out in the Law what really should happen, but that is not “good” disciplining, the child can almost feel they got away with something.

By my coming to the realization of my forcing Christ to be tortured, humiliated and murdered, because of my personal sins I experience a death blow to my heart (Acts 2: 37) the worst possible experience I can have and still live (That is also the most sever disciplining I can experience and still live). Thus I know God is my loving concerned Parent (since He at great cost has seen to my disciplining). I know how significant my sins really are; I can put those sins behind me after being disciplined. Since God and Jesus shared in my disciplining “I am crucified with Christ” (a teaching moment) our relationship is even greater than before my transgressing.

What is the benefit/value for us that we would want to accept the ransom payment of Christ’s torture, humiliation and murder?

What value benefit did it have for those 3000 on the day of Pentecost?

Would those 3000 have become baptized believers on the day of Pentecost if Peter had not been able to say: Acts 2:36 “…this Jesus whom you crucified”?

So for those 3000, their crucifying Christ (ransom payment/atoning sacrifice) resulted in them becoming baptized believers on the day of Pentecost! Did it have value for them?

This will get us started if you really want to know.

Upvote 0