What Qualities Do You Respect Most in Others?

The happy Objectivist

Jul 3, 2020
Center
✟65,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I was just thinking about people in general, and how some people are well liked by some and not by others for whatever reason.

...So what qualities does it take to get you to like someone as a person? Is it:

• high achievers who accomplish many good tasks and deeds?
  • High intelligence
  • Kindness
  • Funnyness
  • Devoutly Christian
  • Goofy
  • Or something else?
Rationality. The commitment to reason as one's only means of knowledge, only guide to choices and actions. Hands down because all the other qualities stem from this.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was just thinking about people in general, and how some people are well liked by some and not by others for whatever reason.

...So what qualities does it take to get you to like someone as a person? Is it:

• High intelligence
  • Kindness
  • Funnyness
  • Devoutly Christian
  • Goofy
  • Or something else?

Really depends on the category of people. For romantic partners, friends and relatives.. slightly different values.

For the general person I value novel thought above all. Good or bad I admire people who naturally think differently compared to others. This include things like art and scientific thought. I admire men like Charles Darwin and Freud for these very reasons. While I mostly abhor modern feminism I can admire the creativity and new terms they constantly crank out, lol. For this admiration I am very much a big free speech guy.

The engine behind novel thought has to include some intelligence. People with at least an IQ of 115 and above are more realistically desired. Rationally is also important for me, but I also see the value of irrational thinking for creativity. I wouldn't want everyone to be the same and I believe the world is richer for there being different personality types. Not everyone needs the cold scientific mind there is also value in the artistic and spiritual mindsets as well. Although even the latter is often greatly benefited by high IQ.

My tastes for romantic partners have somewhat shifted over these last few years. Admittedly in the past I admired some bad qualities in women. I would get (and still do) butterflies from women who are cruel and coarse. An animalistic desire I believe is shared mostly by women yet a surprising number of men also share. Although the older I have gotten (30s now) the less mental energy I have. The kind soft spoken women becomes more and more appealing by the year.

Fatal attractions can be fun and exciting, but they are like candy and soda. The older you get the more aware you are of how bad they are for you and in turn the mind increasingly becomes repulsed by the idea.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟40,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honesty. Clarity. Calling balls and strikes. Telling the truth, and hearing and accepting the truth about things, whether they're popular or not, or frankly whether you or me "like" it or not. I'm all done with lying liars and their lying lies, and propaganda, and PC ridiculousness. I like people who have no guile.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private

• High intelligence
  • Kindness
  • Funnyness
  • Devoutly Christian
  • Goofy
  • Or something else?
I respect most those with high degrees of mindful awareness - those individuals who utilizes that self-awareness to recognize unskillful traits in him- or herself, in order to change and improve towards greater skillfulness.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I respect most those with high degrees of mindful awareness - those individuals who utilizes that self-awareness to recognize unskillful traits in him- or herself, in order to change and improve towards greater skillfulness.

Mindfulness played an important part in my development. I remember reading The Art of Happiness. It left a big impression on me. I've had similar experiences with other titles. I know I won't improve everything. But forgoing the effort is not an option. Sharing what I've learned blesses others. The circle continues. :)

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0