What parts of the bible are you reading?

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've been bouncing back and forth between OT and NT. I love them both but I am trying to learn the OT better. I've been through them both a number of times, but it seems that my memory doesn't remeber what I would like ^_^ Does anyone else have that problem? Certain parts I can remeber almost word for word, and then other parts its like I've never read before.

Right now I am through Esther in the OT, next of course is Job, which is a very hard book to understand. I may skip that and get the People's series book to study it. I seldom use them because I just enjoy reading out of the bible so much more. There is nothing to inspire and comfort you like God's word :preach:

I'm reading about 3 different places in the NT, but have been consentrating mostly on the OT. I just wished all of the kings were as faithful as David. Its gets a little difficult to read about all the idoltry. How could God's chosen people forget all what He had done for them, and much more all of His promises of a Savior?

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just finished reading the book of Matthew for the Bethel Bible Class I'm taking. We're in our 2nd year of the two year program.

We will be continuing a study of Matthew too next monday night. Our Pastor is pretty thourough, so I'm guess it will be a while.

Nehemiah and Timothy in the TDP.

Just finished Nehemiah this morning. I'm looking forward to the major prophets.

Upvote 0

doulos_tou_kuriou

Located at the intersection of Forde and Giertz
Apr 26, 2006
MinneSO-TA. That's how they say it here, right?
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I am in the midst of engaging Jeremiah. I have no clear "path" through the study of scriptures.

I find a well-knowledged community far more helpful in unpacking the Bible than a commentary or self study book. Although sometimes you have other choice.

A nice way to engage the stories and help you remember them more is through exorcises in story theology.

Pax

Upvote 0

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm going through the Bible from cover to cover right now, I just started though so I've just made it to Numbers.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I remeber my fist time through, it was the King James which is much harder to read, then the same year I got my first NIV, and I then understood the importance of having a bible written in the lanuage we use. If we spoke Arabic or Hewbrews God wouldn't expect us to read the KJV, so why should anyone from this country and modern times read it as though that is how God communicated with us.

I know that may not make sence to some, but I was so thankful for people who endeavered to write the bible in the english we use, and to top it off, it was from earlier and more reliable manuscripts that were found.

I still remember many verses from KJV and indeed I do miss the flowery lanuage, but truely understanding what God says to us is so much more important.

I remember the comfort I got from reading Ephesians 2, thanks be to God He did it all for us, and nothing was left to our sinful human nature. :bow:

Upvote 0

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The beginning. Genesis. Of course, I am reading along with the Lutheran Study Bible so it's taking a while (I'm reading all the notes at the bottom). It's very eye-opening.

I love Genesis. So much history of our fore fathers.

Who wrote your bible?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

synger

Confessional Liturgical Lutheran
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been focusing on the minor prophets lately, because it's been a LONG time since I did more than the lectionary bits from them. I'm using my Literary Study Bible, rather than one with commentary notes in it, because I want to get a good overview. Then I plan to do more in-depth using People's commentaries.

I've read Joel a couple times this week, and now am moving on to Amos. I'm also trying to get a feel for how each one is distinctive, because I usually get them all mixed up (except Jonah and Hosea, which are memorable to me)

Upvote 0

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I remeber my fist time through, it was the King James which is much harder to read, then the same year I got my first NIV, and I then understood the importance of having a bible written in the lanuage we use. If we spoke Arabic or Hewbrews God wouldn't expect us to read the KJV, so why should anyone from this country and modern times read it as though that is how God communicated with us.

I know that may not make sence to some, but I was so thankful for people who endeavered to write the bible in the english we use, and to top it off, it was from earlier and more reliable manuscripts that were found.

I still remember many verses from KJV and indeed I do miss the flowery lanuage, but truely understanding what God says to us is so much more important.
I definately get your point. I actually planned to read the Bible in Swedish some time ago, just to check my level and to practice, but oh well, it was just too hard for now, so I went back to the finnish one, by which I mean the latest translation from 1992. I have one from the 1930's and one from the 19th century (I just can't remember the year) as well, but they're much harder and not even so much prettier. So far I think the one I use is enough for me...

Upvote 0

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've been focusing on the minor prophets lately, because it's been a LONG time since I did more than the lectionary bits from them. I'm using my Literary Study Bible, rather than one with commentary notes in it, because I want to get a good overview. Then I plan to do more in-depth using People's commentaries.

I've read Joel a couple times this week, and now am moving on to Amos. I'm also trying to get a feel for how each one is distinctive, because I usually get them all mixed up (except Jonah and Hosea, which are memorable to me)

So I'm not the only one to get things mixed up :p I must be human afterall.

I've finally committed to reading at least one study on the prophets,, Jeremiah, so far I like it real well, though the best parts are the scripture itself :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I definately get your point. I actually planned to read the Bible in Swedish some time ago, just to check my level and to practice, but oh well, it was just too hard for now, so I went back to the finnish one, by which I mean the latest translation from 1992. I have one from the 1930's and one from the 19th century (I just can't remember the year) as well, but they're much harder and not even so much prettier. So far I think the one I use is enough for me...

Greetings Aino :wave: and welcome to TCL, sorry if I've missed you before. I have another friend from Finland, if she ever remembers to write back to me ^_^

Upvote 0

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings Aino :wave: and welcome to TCL, sorry if I've missed you before. I have another friend from Finland, if she ever remembers to write back to me ^_^
Thanks.. :) I haven't been here so much at all. LOL, I bet I know her, so just tell me her name and I'll go and give her a little reminder about you! :p

Upvote 0

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My Bible Study is taking a ride on the Revelation side. We just had our first study on it Friday and can't wait for more.

Also, downloaded the NIV Bible on my Kindle - not so user friendly scrolling around, or maybe I just need to get used to it.

Does anyone know if there is an electronic version of the Concordia Study Bible out there?

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Excuse me for crashing your party as a non-Lutheran.

I'm currently reading the Gospel of Saint John, along with the commentary of Saint Theophylact of Ohrid.
I am also in Numbers, on another path cover-to-cover, using the Orthodox Study Bible.

I'm going slow, as I am also taking more than a full load of coursework in school.

Upvote 0