✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
aggie03 said:
What needs to happen before we can consider someone a Christian?

My answer would have to be: THEY MUST BE IN AGREEMENT AND COMPLIANCE WITH WHAT SCRIPTURE DEEMS NECESSARY TO BE A CHRISTIAN.
There are some things that the bible considers mandatory for salvation -

That there is One God
Accepts Christ in [saving] Faith,
[comes to accept] that Christ is God,
Repentance of Sin, (and subsequent fruits that come from that conversion - obedience to His commands) etc.

Since it's the Bible that introduces and defines the Bible God (Christianity), it would have to be the Bible's mandates that define a Christian by it's own written terms and terminology; not our own.
(much like the Koran introduces "Allah" & lists 'mandates' for people to be Muslim).

The rest goes to how one interprets the scripture. Scripture also says it must be 'rightly divided'., Jesus said that not all who come to Him are His & Peter said that people twist the scriptures to their own destruction... so many can interpret it WRONGLY and be in error as to what Christianity is.

I'd say adhering to the majority of early New Testament Christian converts would be the best Christian models to follow (and which abide closest to scripture teachings that are plainly written and understandable).

It's not only 'the list of what the bible says you must do or believe", *but the authority the Bible has to demand these mandates AND how they need to be interpreted - that deems one a genuine Christian (who then produce the 'fruits of the Spirit' that the Bible clearly lists will be evident thereafter).

Otherwise, anyone can claim to be Christian by their own standard of interpretation which the Bible directly opposes in many passages.

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Well, the scriptures don't actually use the word "christian" apart from one instance, and then it's referring to a degrading term by the Romans, I believe. Anyway, God has children, not christians. His grace surpasses all understanding, all those who came to Him He gave the right to be called children of God, whoever comes to Him He shall never cast away, and so forth.

It's a relationship, it's family ties, it's rebirth. Not an exam or a job.

Anyway, what people consider to be "christian" varies wildly. I don't think it's wise to base much on whether or not you fit into that category.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
holo said:
Well, the scriptures don't actually use the word "christian" apart from one instance, and then it's referring to a degrading term by the Romans, I believe. Anyway, God has children, not christians. His grace surpasses all understanding, all those who came to Him He gave the right to be called children of God, whoever comes to Him He shall never cast away, and so forth.

It's a relationship, it's family ties, it's rebirth. Not an exam or a job.

Anyway, what people consider to be "christian" varies wildly. I don't think it's wise to base much on whether or not you fit into that category.

hi holo,

Well, God's "children" are Christians.

Since Mat. 7:21-23 shows us that Jesus is sending people WHO THOUGHT THEY WERE HIS away, telling them to "Depart from Me, you who work iniquity, I never knew you", I think it's IMPERATIVE to find out what the bible says about genuine salvation/Christianity.

The term Christian is used in scripture:
Acts 26:28, 11:26 & 1 Peter 4:16.
Christianity is merely a name meaning "Christ follower/follower of Christ". Just a means of identification.

It may not be an "exam/job" but Christ said to count the COST of following Him - that no one starts to build a building without doing assessements first to see if he can build it. Luke 14:25-33

Being a genuine believer isn't up for subjective grabs as to whatever anyone interprets it to be -
it doesn't matter how people view it wildly...

Please read or reread my post below as to why that doesn't work.
For that matter, many practicing pagans are "Christians" because they accept that Jesus was a good prophet.
The Bible clearly & simply doesn't allow for this.

Upvote 0

GK

Love God. Love People. That Simple.
Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
✟12,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
SwampFox86 said:
oops, clicked on the wrong link, not trying to debate outside of the Baptist forum.
;)

It happens. You've given me good opportunity to remind everyone the purpose of this forum is to allow RM members to answer this question from their perspective, not for all perspectives to engage the question; there are other forums for that.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Randi said:
I believe (and see in Scripture) that baptism is the point of salvation. That's not the end of it though, you must also stay faithful.

If you don't mind, would you post the places that you see this in the Scriptures? I would like to keep this discussion as biblically based as possible :)

Upvote 0