What makes Christianity convincing for you personally?

ChristopherHays

Sep 19, 2019
Los Angeles
✟13,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
@Bible Highlighter I think you’re on to something with those Christian girls lol. I’ve never been able to create meaningful friendships with any atheists yet. Perhaps I haven’t met the right ones. As far as morality goes though, I think it’s subjective weather you’re a Christian or not. No matter what the moral issue is (abortion, war, slavery, capitol punishment, gay marriage) you will see bible believing Christians lining up on both sides of the issue. I would really like to have a universal right and wrong, but unfortunately we all have our own opinions and translations.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Bible Highlighter I think you’re on to something with those Christian girls lol. I’ve never been able to create meaningful friendships with any atheists yet. Perhaps I haven’t met the right ones. As far as morality goes though, I think it’s subjective weather you’re a Christian or not. No matter what the moral issue is (abortion, war, slavery, capitol punishment, gay marriage) you will see bible believing Christians lining up on both sides of the issue. I would really like to have a universal right and wrong, but unfortunately we all have our own opinions and translations.

As for morality: Such a thing does not become clear until the Lord lives on the inside of you. The Lord will talk to your heart about what is right and wrong.

Anyways, here is a clip from a Christian movie that shows a courtroom scene that talks about evidence in favor for Jesus Christ.

I would highly recommend checking it out.

Upvote 0

WESTOZZIE

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
WA
Visit site
✟54,255.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

That's okay Chris. Your heavenly Father will not force you...but it's up to you to step towards Him, to seek Him....and you are seeking Him otherwise you would not be on this website. You are asking "what makes Christianity convincing for me?" Then you tell us that you are now agnostic....so you're not convinced.

How are you going to become convinced? What will convince you Chris?

If what Jesus did on the cross for you is not convincing you then you could ask God to give you eyes to see and ears to hear the Good News so you can be convinced in your heart.

And then(tho it is mostly shot down on this forum)ask the Lord Jesus to fill you with the Holy Spirit. Contrary to what many are told that you receive all when you first believe on Jesus....Scripture shows that a whole city full of people believed the message of Jesus on the cross and they got baptised in water.....but when the Apostles heard that they had received the Gospel message they went ASAP to those new believers and found that they had ONLY BEEN BAPTISED IN WATER....the Holy Spirit had NOT YET fallen upon them.
They layed hands upon all of them....and they all received the HOLY SPIRIT. This is in Acts 8 Read it and seek out a spirit filled church for the same Holy Spirit is given to all who have believed upon Jesus today.
There are many many believers in Jesus who fit right into this real life story in Acts 8. They have only been baptised in water...they have NOT YET HAD THE HOLY SPIRIT FALL UPON THEM!!
The word for fall upon is epipipto I think, from memory. It means to hug on you to lay upon you!! This is the experience you have not had yet brother. But it is for you!

Rom 10:8 But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART" (that is, the word of faith which we preach):
Rom 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Upvote 0

ChristopherHays

Sep 19, 2019
Los Angeles
✟13,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
@derpytia the point I was making with the heavens gate cult was that people are willing to die for false beliefs. Someone could say ‘they would never commit suicide unless they knew their beliefs were true’ but we would both agree that isn’t always the case.
I think I mostly agree with you that the early church brought positive social change. You can’t deny that the church was responsible for some terrible things as well. The crusades, Salem witch trials, inquisition ect. are just a few examples of sincere Christians having a profoundly negative impact. Even the first few centuries after Christ, the Roman Empire collapsed in chaos as the Romans became predominantly Christian. I won’t blame the Christians for the fall of the empire, but they had great influence and certainly didn’t save it.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, most atheists do not hang out on Buddah forums or Muslim forums so as to debate the existence of their gods. They come to Christian forums like these. Why? Because the GOD of the Bible is real, and they know it deep down. That should also speak volumes. Christianity is unique above all because it has the only book that claims it is the Word of God and it has the evidence to back up that claim. Also, no other prophet or God died for your sins. Only Jesus died for your sins. Accept Him today while there is still time.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, if something has value, it wouldn't be attacked. Banks are attacked because they have value inside them. No other book has come under more fire than the Bible. No other people group has come under fire more than Christians. You can read about the persecution of Christians all over the world from Christian news websites. People can worship Buddah and have a statue of him hanging around in public. But "Oh man, put up a cross or a Bible nowadays in certain places in public and people are having a hissy fit."

Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I went to church 3 times a week for the first 22 years of my life. Now at 23, I consider myself an atheist. However, I like to think I’m still open minded. I’d like to know what makes Christianity convincing to you?
It is more livable than non-theism. That is, it is impossible for non-theists to consistently live by their own worldview principles. Non-theism cannot account for the nature and origin of morality, cannot provide for objective, inherent meaning or value for life, cannot account for the reality of perfect forms, etc.

Although all the major worldviews run up against the unknowable, I believe that Christian theism best explains the available data and experience.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
One of many things is that the views the Bible expresses regarding the character of God and the proper place of man are not pleasant to anyone and the conviction of sin the Bible brings (when it is actually read honestly and believed and not explained away) cuts to the heart. It condemns anyone to hell who goes against its commandments, and its commandments related to morality bear witness to and align with the truth of how we know already we are supposed to live- yet which we also naturally want to explain away and justify ourselves when we go contrary to. It exposes man's hypocrisy and destroys loopholes man would use to get around the truth he knows.

Along with that consider that we know we want others to treat us consistently with what the Bible teaches on how to treat others, yet we do not like to be held to the same standard. And moreover the Bible commands us to treat others according to its standards regardless of whether others do so for us or not. That is so against what we want and would like to choose- and yet we know it's right and excellent and even delights us deep down, except of course when our own interests and our own pride are at stake because such a demand is upon us- then it bothers us exceedingly. Yet the Bible requires a death to self to follow the painful truth it teaches- a death which the Bible doesn't give us anyway around. It demands rather that we yield to God and His Law in submission or be condemned to hell.

Not something man would ever invent. And what do we see man actually doing with this? We see man fighting the truth of the Bible in a multitude of ways, and the worst way of all is that most churches which claim to believe the Bible fight the Bible by holding doctrines which explain away the demands of God's Law and the mandate that we surrender to the truth by death to self in order to have an interest in Christ's redemption. So even in corrupted Christianity, you have wisdom crying out and testifying about the truthfulness of Christianity and the inherent goodness it represents when followed honestly, diligently, and faithfully.

And moreover, the Bible can objectively be proven true beyond any reasonable doubt; and I will share something in my next post about a key evidence that in itself shows the Bible to be true beyond any reasonable doubt.

Upvote 0

ChristopherHays

Sep 19, 2019
Los Angeles
✟13,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
@Bible Highlighter I’ve actually had several conversations with Muslims about their beliefs. I’m not aware of any Muslim forums though, I don’t think their religion is as open to online debate as Christianity. Muslims also have a book they claim is the “word of God” and they will all tell you there is evidence to back that up. Personally, I don’t see any convincing evidence that the Bible or the Quran is the word of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The prophecies about the coming Messiah in the Old Testament are God's own provided evidence. He said the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem of Judah (Micah 5:2), would be despised and rejected of men and bruised/wounded/killed for our iniquities in making his soul an offering for sin (all in Isaiah chapter 53), and then you read Psalm 22 which obviously extended beyond David and describes a man suffering consistent with crucifixion, followed afterwards by glory- and then you see in Zechariah 12:10 how when the Messiah returns in glory He will have been pierced previous to this. Then you read Daniel 9 and see Daniel's 70 weeks (commonly understood to be 70 periods of 7 seven years): I is clear that the Messiah would come on the scene and be crucified at the end of the 69th week (483 years from when these weeks took effect)- and when you understand the basic time frame of the beginning of these 7 weeks (as Daniel 9 shows, when the Persian Emperor was to command that Jerusalem be restored and built- and this happened in a way through both Ezra and Nehemiah who lived in the same general time frame but were sent to Jerusalem a few years apart), it is obvious that these weeks began in the late to mid 450s BC- and this means that the Messiah would be killed 483 years later in the late 20s or early 30s AD. And then you read Haggai 2 and Malachi 3 which both teach that the Messiah would come to the 2nd Temple- and this existed between the 5th century BC until the Romans destroyed it in AD 70. You also see in Malachi 3 how the Messiah would have a preaching ministry that would rebuke the corruption in Judaism and purify it by properly teaching the Law of God as God intended it to be understood when He gave it.

So you have the Scriptures before Jesus even came teaching that the Messiah would be a male born in Bethlehem-Judah who would live in the time of the 2nd Temple, have a preaching ministry that would rebuke Israel and challenge Israel to return to the true intents of the Law of God, that He would be despised and rejected of men, that He would be pierced and overall suffer a death consistent with crucifixion, enter into glory afterwards, and even that His death would be 483 years after the decree to rebuild Jerusalem and which would therefore need to be around approximately AD 30. And that is only a few of the obvious prophecies about the Christ/Messiah. And that is not even to mention all the types and shadows through the object lessons in the sacrifices in the Law of Moses and the stories of the righteous men in the Old Testament whose lives were in so many ways previews of Jesus' life.

It is no wonder then that Jesus could tell His disciples after His resurrection that they should have known He was going to die and rise again simply by what the Scriptures had already foretold.

Luke 24:25-27 "Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken: Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory? And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself."

Luke 24:44-48 "And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are witnesses of these things."

God Himself orchestrated the circumstances and fulfilled what He had said would happen through the free-will choices of men to execute His plan of redemption. Acts 13:27-31 "For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning him. And though they found no cause of death in him, yet desired they Pilate that he should be slain. And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre. But God raised him from the dead: And he was seen many days of them which came up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are his witnesses unto the people."

In light of all this, God gave enough internal evidence through many authors over spans of hundreds of years in His own inspired Word to verify the truth about Jesus and the salvation which He has provided to those who will bow before Him as their Lord and their God and follow Him by subjecting themselves to the very same instruction in the Scriptures which testify of Him. He is just as faithful to fulfill His promises to those who put their trust in Him now as He was to fulfill the prophecies about Christ which He had given hundreds of years before. The Apostle Peter could thus tell the Christians he ministered to: "Who (Jesus Christ) verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God." (1 Peter 1:20-21)

The Scriptures have also told us what we need to know about Christ's 2nd coming and heaven and hell- we know that He will be the Judge of all men and that those who have responded right to His Word and followed him as their Lord will reign with Him at His return while those who are disobedient will be rejected from His kingdom as His enemies and suffer the just and horrific consequences that are appropriate for them. "In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe" (2 Thessalonians 1:8-10a)

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I went to church 3 times a week for the first 22 years of my life. Now at 23, I consider myself an atheist. However, I like to think I’m still open minded. I’d like to know what makes Christianity convincing to you?
I have lived a life largely removed from Christian religion (lived and worked at sea for 32 years) and could claim, in common with many of my colleagues, that I have been dealt a bit of a raw hand by the Church. I am not a naturally religious person either, in fact I don't really like the whole ceremonial, formal gathering, law abiding, goody toe shoes, thing and have often drawn the disapproval of religious people I have encountered. But I remain convinced of the truth of what the Apostles have been inspired to tell us in the Bible.

I have delved into Christian apologetics, in particular the work of Bill Lane Craig but also Ravi Zacharius, Frank Turek, John Lennox, Lee Strobel to name a few and these guys have provided excellent intellectual pillars to my trust in Yeshua.

I have also been fortunate enough to have experienced direct interventive healing from Him on at least 3 occasions (In grown toenails, Suicidal depression and Impacted bowel problems), those in environments completely free of religious hype and 2 of those by His initiation when I was not expecting it.

So on occasion, and I have to say quite frequently over the last couple of years in particular, I have had strong doubts about whether all of what I trust is, and trust in, is in actual fact true. It has been very tempting at times to just throw it all away.

But then when I find myself yelling at him in frustration and anger, I realize that if He is not there I am just yelling at the wind. Then I am reminded of what I know to be true, the intellectual basis of my trust and the experiences He has given me.

What is said about Him is true enough and He, Himself is the Truth.

Upvote 0

ChristopherHays

Sep 19, 2019
Los Angeles
✟13,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
@AACJ I have allot of respect for that response. In fact I think the argument for origins and complexity are most eloquently explained with theism. However, I think their are other possible explanations and I don’t see the merits for biblical theism even with respect to these issues. I am convinced by the evidence of evolution. I don’t think that’s compatible with genesis. I have strong moral convictions that directly contradict much of the morality found in the Old Testament. Every worldview does have unanswered questions, but Christianity leaves me with more questions than answers.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Bible Highlighter I’ve actually had several conversations with Muslims about their beliefs. I’m not aware of any Muslim forums though, I don’t think their religion is as open to online debate as Christianity. Muslims also have a book they claim is the “word of God” and they will all tell you there is evidence to back that up. Personally, I don’t see any convincing evidence that the Bible or the Quran is the word of God.

It's a little early to be making judgments like that.
Watch the videos in my Blogger article, and check out all the links.
Also watch the video in post #22, as well.
Let the evidence be your verdict.

As for the Muslim religion:
They try to formulate their religion based off the Bible.
It's an attack on the Holy Bible that says not to add any words to it (Revelation 22:18). The Bible is constantly being attacked in many ways.
This is not the case with the Quran.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
@derpytia the point I was making with the heavens gate cult was that people are willing to die for false beliefs. Someone could say ‘they would never commit suicide unless they knew their beliefs were true’ but we would both agree that isn’t always the case.
I think I mostly agree with you that the early church brought positive social change. You can’t deny that the church was responsible for some terrible things as well. The crusades, Salem witch trials, inquisition ect. are just a few examples of sincere Christians having a profoundly negative impact. Even the first few centuries after Christ, the Roman Empire collapsed in chaos as the Romans became predominantly Christian. I won’t blame the Christians for the fall of the empire, but they had great influence and certainly didn’t save it.

That's why I make a distinction between the Early Church and the formalized Church. There is a definite shift in how Christians lived and treated others when Christianity was not only legalized but mandated.

But that's getting a little off topic for this thread :)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, the Quran does not have the same level as evidence as the Bible.
Not even close. There is so much evidence that says that the Bible is God's Word, it's overwhelming to say the least. The Bible is God's Word.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am convinced by the evidence of evolution. I don’t think that’s compatible with genesis.

Well, if you think the evidence for evilotion (darwinism/ macro-evolution) is convincing, you've got a bad case of Romans 1 syndrome. Rejection of 'design ergo designer' in favour of 'order out of chaos' just takes you into mystery Babylon and gnosticism. Don't fool yourself young man, above the door to the temple of science is written the words 'ye must have faith'. So where you gonna place yours, in God or man?

Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
@AACJ ... I have strong moral convictions that directly contradict much of the morality found in the Old Testament. Every worldview does have unanswered questions, but Christianity leaves me with more questions than answers.
I believe a major intellectual and/or emotional barrier for many concerning Christian theism is probably the so-called problem of evil including certain pain/suffering found in the OT. However, as an atheist or agnostic that is presumably at least 51% convinced of non-theism, you really have no objective basis for strong moral convictions (nothing personal, mind you). Any standard of morality you would presume must in fact be derived from demonstrably-corrupt mankind. Do you really want such as that as the moral foundation for your worldview? Whatever is used to judge man must necessarily be outside of man to be objective. Do you see why that is necessarily so? What is outside is necessarily God.

In addition, remember that if you believe that man can have morally sufficient reasons for killing children, bringing down a jet in control of terrorists, for example, then are you truly justified in denying that God Almighty has such moral sufficiency, if such found in the OT is what you have referred to?

Last edited:
Upvote 0