What makes an Ecumenical Council?

onetruechurch4

Christianity is the only true philosophy.
Jul 8, 2017
New England
✟15,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is to my understanding that an ecumenical council is ecumenical when it's attended by bishops from all across the world to address universal issues concerning theology and/or morals affecting the Church with the guidance of the Holy Spirit to ensure that the council conveys correct orthodox doctrine (i.e. infallibility of the council in regards to theology and morals).

Local synods are just that, local. They address particular problems for a particular area of the Church usually dealing with things like local traditions and customs or possible dispensations that can be given for certain issues affecting the lives of the faithful.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is to my understanding that an ecumenical council is ecumenical when it's attended by bishops from all across the world to address universal issues concerning theology and/or morals affecting the Church with the guidance of the Holy Spirit to ensure that the council conveys correct orthodox doctrine (i.e. infallibility of the council in regards to theology and morals).

Local synods are just that, local. They address particular problems for a particular area of the Church usually dealing with things like local traditions and customs or possible dispensations that can be given for certain issues affecting the lives of the faithful.

not attended by all bishops (the Pope of Rome never attended one, and Ephesus was called and enacted before Rome or Antioch got there). all bishops are invited, and the Councils are affirmed at later Councils, which shows they proclaim truth.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
not attended by all bishops (the Pope of Rome never attended one, and Ephesus was called and enacted before Rome or Antioch got there). all bishops are invited, and the Councils are affirmed at later Councils, which shows they proclaim truth.
So is the key thing the invitation to all bishops? Like you point out, several councils were lightly attended, or had very few representatives from a certain region, etc. But they were still invited, as far as I know.

Is that all bishops in the Church or all bishops in Christendom? I.e. if an ecumenical council were summoned today by the Orthodox, would HH Tawadros or Pope Francis be invited? Or is it only necessary to invite those bishops that are in communion with the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, for example?

Isn't it a circular to say that affirmation of a Council at a later Council is evidence of universality? That works/makes sense for Nicea 1, Constantinople 1, etc. But Nicea 2 doesn't have later councils that affirmed it, since it is (arguably) the last ecumenical council.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So is the key thing the invitation to all bishops? Like you point out, several councils were lightly attended, or had very few representatives from a certain region, etc. But they were still invited, as far as I know.

Is that all bishops in the Church or all bishops in Christendom? I.e. if an ecumenical council were summoned today by the Orthodox, would HH Tawadros or Pope Francis be invited? Or is it only necessary to invite those bishops that are in communion with the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, for example?

Isn't it a circular to say that affirmation of a Council at a later Council is evidence of universality? That works/makes sense for Nicea 1, Constantinople 1, etc. But Nicea 2 doesn't have later councils that affirmed it, since it is (arguably) the last ecumenical council.

no, it would only be the canonical EO. and Nicaea 2 had Constantinople 4.

Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0

onetruechurch4

Christianity is the only true philosophy.
Jul 8, 2017
New England
✟15,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

That's more or less what I meant when I said "attended by."

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's ecumenical if it proclaims the truth. Obviously new terminology and new vocabulary to define and clarify the apostolic Traditions against specific novel teachings are not accepted overnight. As the definition of a council is upheld, defended, and explained by the teachers and confessors of the Church, it eventually becomes embraced universally by the conscience of the Church.

An ecumenical council is usually called when a heretical teaching is by and large already acknowledged to be incorrect or quite suspect. The tough part is clarifying and articulating right belief from wrong belief. If it can succeed in doing that then it will become ecumenical.

Last edited:
Upvote 0