Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
George Whitefield and John Wesley accomplished great things together because they were able to agree to disagree on predestination, and I believe that's the model of how Calvinists and Arminians should approach one another. If anyone asks me what kind of a Calvinist I am, I am a George Whitefield Calvinist.

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Based on reading the Bible, after praying for the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I am no longer a Calvinist:

Jeremiah 18: Romans 9 De-Calvinized
https://www.christianforums.com/threads/jeremiah-18-romans-9-de-calvinized.8217798/
John Calvin: Not a Calvinist
https://www.christianforums.com/threads/jeremiah-18-romans-9-de-calvinized.8217798/
My intent on this forum has not been to convince others that Calvinism is true, but only that they should be more tolerant of Calvinists, especially since some of history's greatest missionaries and evangelists have been Calvinists.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Sorry if I don’t believe you.

That's okay. John Calvin, in his own words, was not a Calvinist:

Please also keep in mind that Jacobus Arminius himself was also from the Reformed tradition, and he was taught by Theodore Beza, a disciple of John Calvin.

The Reformed tradition is broader than five-point Calvinism, and even includes the likes of Arminius as well as Charles Finney, a Presbyterian minister.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That's okay. John Calvin, in his own words, was not a Calvinist:

Please also keep in mind that Jacobus Arminius himself was also from the Reformed tradition, and he was taught by Theodore Beza, a disciple of John Calvin.

The Reformed tradition is broader than five-point Calvinism, and even includes the likes of Arminius as well as Charles Finney, a Presbyterian minister.
I used to be a synergist. That doesn’t make me a synergist.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
I used to be a synergist. That doesn’t make me a synergist.

Who said anything about synergism? Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone. Classical Reformed Arminianism, as opposed to Wesleyan Arminianism, is monergistic.

The only question is whether God's enabling (prevenient) grace to believe the Gospel is available to all people equally or just a select few? (John 12:32, John 15:26, John 16:8-11)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Who said anything about synergism? Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone. Classical Reformed Arminianism, as opposed to Wesleyan Arminianism, is monergistic.

The only question is whether God's enabling (prevenient) grace to believe the Gospel is available to all people equally or just a select few? (John 12:32, John 15:26, John 16:8-11)
The point was that just because someone once said they were something, once they change their beliefs they are no longer that something.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
The point was that just because someone once said they were something, once they change their beliefs they are no longer that something.

I would have to again say that the Reformed tradition is broader than just five-point Calvinism. As demonstrated in his own words, John Calvin did not believe in limited atonement.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: JM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
It’s not broad enough for you to continue to post in this forum.

Would you say the same thing to John Calvin who, in his own words, rejected limited atonement or to Jacobus Arminius, who always considered himself a part of the Reformed tradition? I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just hoping for some clarity.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
I've read the 1689 London Baptist Confession several times and I still, for the most part, agree with it. I just now believe that our election is conditional, rather than unconditional.

Jeremiah 18: Romans 9 De-Calvinized

Conditional election - Wikipedia

The most natural reading of Romans 8:29-30 and 1 Peter 1:1-2, especially in light of Jeremiah 18:12, is that God's decision of election is based on His foreknowledge of who would accept God's free offer of grace and who wouldn't, and is thus conditional, not unconditional.

Jacobus Arminius was himself from the Reformed tradition, and classical Arminianism is traditionally called Reformed Arminianism for this reason.

In 1582, Arminius began studying under Theodore Beza at Geneva. He found himself under pressure for using Ramist philosophical methods, familiar to him from his time at Leiden. Arminius was publicly forbidden to teach Ramean philosophy. After this difficult state of affairs, he moved to Basel to continue his studies.[2]

He continued to distinguish himself there as an excellent student. In 1583 Arminius was contemplating a return to Geneva when the theological faculty at Basel spontaneously offered him a doctorate.[4] He declined the honor on account of his youth (he was about 24)[5] and returned to the school in Geneva to finish his schooling in Geneva under Beza.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobus_Arminius

Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MOD HAT ON

After Staff Review

This Thread
is Now
Permanently Closed

RV: Statement of Purpose - Semper Reformanda - Reformed Statement of Faith
House Rules:
All posts within this faith community must adhere to the site wide rules found here (Community Rules). In addition, if you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against it's theology. You may post in fellowship. Active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of this group will be considered off topic.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.