Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
https://reformedforhisglory.wordpress.com/2013/08/09/types-of-calvinism-a-comprehensive-list/

This article, in painstaking detail, explains the different types of historical Calvinism.

I am a moderate Calvinist, who believes that Adam made the free-willed choice to sin which resulted in our fallen condition, in unconditional election and preterition rather than double predestination, that the Gospel should be preached to all indiscriminately, and that God loves all people, even if non-salvifically.

I believe that we shouldn't be any more extremely Calvinist than John Calvin himself. The most extreme Calvinists go even further than the historical confessions ever did.

Lapsarian+Chart.jpg

Last edited:

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
https://reformedforhisglory.wordpress.com/2013/08/09/types-of-calvinism-a-comprehensive-list/

This article, in painstaking detail, explains the different types of historical Calvinism.

I am a moderate Calvinist, who believes that Adam made the free-willed choice to sin which resulted in our fallen condition, in unconditional election and preterition rather than double predestination, that the Gospel should be preached to all indiscriminately, and that God loves all people, even if non-salvifically.

I believe that we shouldn't be any more extremely Calvinist than John Calvin himself. The most extreme Calvinists go even further than the historical confessions ever did.

Lapsarian+Chart.jpg

I am either regular high or ultra high.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I call myself a Calvinist so people know where I'm coming from. But I believe only the first 3 points of Calvinism according to the Synod of Dort are precisely true.

I also believe God created Adam without sin. But with a nature that would sin if given a law to break. Adam wanted to sin just as any of us would have, so he incurred the guilt and penalty on our behalf. But without sin, God cannot be known. Through sin, we understand justice, mercy, grace, salvation, sovereignty, and more.

We also bore Adam's imputed guilt but know the saved bear Christ's (God's) imputed righteousness which is in itself salvation. So in this God took the mortal and made it immortal and eternal.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I call myself a Calvinist so people know where I'm coming from. But I believe only the first 3 points of Calvinism according to the Synod of Dort are precisely true.

I also believe God created Adam without sin. But with a nature that would sin if given a law to break. Adam wanted to sin just as any of us would have, so he incurred the guilt and penalty on our behalf. But without sin, God cannot be known. Through sin, we understand justice, mercy, grace, salvation, sovereignty, and more.

We also bore Adam's imputed guilt but know the saved bear Christ's (God's) imputed righteousness which is in itself salvation. So in this God took the mortal and made it immortal and eternal.
You say you believe only the first 3 points are precisely true. How do you see the last two points of Calvinism?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You say you believe only the first 3 points are precisely true. How do you see the last two points of Calvinism?
I believe the New Birth causes believers to act accordingly. The original points focus on compelled faith and works. The new birth does this by nature.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I believe the New Birth causes believers to act accordingly. The original points focus on compelled faith and works. The new birth does this by nature.
Out of curiosity, how do you see the points focusing on compelled faith and works?

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

I never got that from the original. But then, to me logically, I have always thought monergism has everything to do with the whole matter, not just salvation. The nature being changed is a matter of being one with God, the Spirit of God in us, not a matter of adding to what God does. So I guess I agree with you, but I never thought anyone meant "Irresistible Grace" and "Perseverance" to be the work of the elect believer.

What never ceases to amaze me is the notion of some that it is always either God or us. They can not concede that we are nothing, apart from Christ.

Reactions: JM and Dave L
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Out of curiosity, how do you see the points focusing on compelled faith and works?
Calvin is said to have taught universal atonement. And points 4&5 logically fit with this.

I believe the focus should be on the new birth that creates a person that lives a Holy life. Which is consistent with Limited Atonement. That is, the new birth saves, not obedience to the word and sacraments.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Calvin is said to have taught universal atonement. And points 4&5 logically fit with this.

I believe the focus should be on the new birth that creates a person that lives a Holy life. Which is consistent with Limited Atonement. That is, the new birth saves, not obedience to the word and sacraments.
I don’t think he taught universal atonement, not that it’s too relevant. I think he was ambiguous. Scripture doesn’t teach it, though.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
This explains my own feelings as a moderate Calvinist:

I do not believe that the system of Calvinism, Arminianism, or anything in between, can answer all the questions about divine sovereignty and human responsibility.

Romans 11.33 is straightforward: God’s ways are past finding out. We know some things, but we don’t know all things. I am content to live with the mystery...

Election was never meant to be either an evangelistic tool, or an ant-evangelistic tool. God uses it to comfort and assure us about the certainly of our salvation.

Why will all who come be accepted, as Jesus says in John 6.37? Because they were given to Him by the Father.

How do I really know that all things work together for good, Romans 8.28? Because of God’s foreknowledge, Romans 8.29.

What is the hope that believers will not be deceived by the great works of Satan during the Tribulation? They are elect, Matthew 24.24.

Why did Paul so gladly endure all the suffering he endured for preaching? Because God had elected people.
II Timothy 2.10.

Just because there is a mystery to a doctrine, doesn’t mean the doctrine is heresy. We can—and should—see the human aspect of coming to faith in Christ, as well as the Divine agency aspect in coming to faith in Christ.
What is a “Moderate Calvinist?” - whbcomaha

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I am the "worst kind" of Calvinist...I'm consistent. I am a high Calvinist who believes God predestines all things including the fall, sin, etc. and that God elected to save before the fall, before the foundations of the world.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think he taught universal atonement, not that it’s too relevant. I think he was ambiguous. Scripture doesn’t teach it, though.
Scripture certainly teaches limited atonement. If it doesn't, people are saved by divinely coerced works.

• Winner
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Scripture certainly teaches limited atonement. If it doesn't, people are saved by divinely coerced works.
I agree with that. My point is that it that folks can haggle over what Calvin taught, and that’s fine, but it’s not ultimately relevant.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with that. My point is that it that folks can haggle over what Calvin taught, and that’s fine, but it’s not ultimately relevant.
Saved by works VS saved by grace is not relevant? Universal atonement does not save anyone or all would be saved.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Saved by works VS saved by grace is not relevant? Universal atonement does not save anyone or all would be saved.
What Calvin taught is not ultimately relevant.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I place little trust in what he says. I think Calvinists can have logical truth apart from knowing Christ personally.
You can speak for yourself on that. Don’t speak for me, though.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.