What kind of Baptist are you?

Which Baptist group are you affiliated with?

• Southern Baptist

• Cooperative Baptist Fellowship

• Freewill Baptist

• Primative Baptist

• American Baptist

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are plenty of southern baptists who are calvinists, myself among them (though I am not reformed, I am dispensational). There are reformed southern baptists, there are dispensational calvinistic southern baptists ... southern baptist does not really denote a specific set of doctrine, beyond believer's baptism, the autonomy of the local congregation, and support of the IMB.

Upvote 0

StreetPreacher82

Walking from the valley to the mountain...</br><b>
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2008
✟1,130.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There are plenty of southern baptists who are calvinists, myself among them (though I am not reformed, I am dispensational). There are reformed southern baptists, there are dispensational calvinistic southern baptists ... southern baptist does not really denote a specific set of doctrine, beyond believer's baptism, the autonomy of the local congregation, and support of the IMB.

Okay... are you answering a challenge... because this seems out of place? :confused:

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,612.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Another Reformed Baptist here. :D
Though I attend a moderate, Arminian Baptist church because it's the best option we've got in the city. All the other ones are either extremely liberal, New Age-y, or both. Even the "Reformed" ones.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I used to be an independent fundamentalist Baptist but any more, I am a Southern Baptist. :) I switched because while the beliefs are similar, Southern Baptists don't put restrictions on what Bible version you can use.

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,612.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Nothing worse than a baptist church body that has embraced new age garbage. Glad you were able to at least find one that doesn't. :)

Peace.
Oh, I know! Been there, done that.
Ya, so far they're not too bad, though some of the leadership has been getting into this contemplative garbage a bit. But then recently we were thrilled to see all kinds of Truth Project small groups start up, and it's been a huge hit. So I'm very encouraged by that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Beckyy25

Christian
Nov 9, 2008
Visit site
✟22,683.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Kilrathi827

World Traveler, English Teacher
Feb 6, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟7,755.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Independent Baptist. I was saved at an independent Baptist missionary church here in Korea, and am still a member there. I haven't learned quite enough about the other categories/divisions of Baptists to speak with any amount of certainty about them or the differences in what I believe. But fundamentally, I think the intention for the church was to be small independentally minded churches whose leadership was responsible only to Christ and the Scripture. Our pastor encourages us to read and memorize the Scripture for ourselves, and to share what the Spirit tells us through it. I'm comfortable here, and I think I have been growing well here as well.

Upvote 0

StreetPreacher82

Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2008
✟1,130.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Independent Baptist. I was saved at an independent Baptist missionary church here in Korea, and am still a member there. I haven't learned quite enough about the other categories/divisions of Baptists to speak with any amount of certainty about them or the differences in what I believe. But fundamentally, I think the intention for the church was to be small independentally minded churches whose leadership was responsible only to Christ and the Scripture. Our pastor encourages us to read and memorize the Scripture for ourselves, and to share what the Spirit tells us through it. I'm comfortable here, and I think I have been growing well here as well.

Really, all Baptist churches are supposed to be that way.

In theory at least.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phileoeklogos

Alten Schule Baptist
Mar 8, 2006
OHIO
✟8,763.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That's a new one one me... care to explain? :confused:

It's a movement within the SBC of people and local churches that believe the early Southern Baptists had it right, at least as far as the Gospel, doctrine, church practice, plurality of elders and so on. The early SBC was not the SBC of today in many ways, and there is much we need to recover. That's a very small nutshell's version, anyone interested can visit, www.founders.org...............

Upvote 0

StreetPreacher82

Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2008
✟1,130.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's a movement within the SBC of people and local churches that believe the early Southern Baptists had it right, at least as far as the Gospel, doctrine, church practice, plurality of elders and so on. The early SBC was not the SBC of today in many ways, and there is much we need to recover. That's a very small nutshell's version, anyone interested can visit, www.founders.org...............

Gotcha... thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0