What kind of alcoholic drinks do you like?

What kind of alcoholic drinks do you like?

• none

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • golden beer

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • brown beer

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • black beer

• red wine

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • white wine

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • whisky

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • vodka

• other alcoholic drinks

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • liqueur

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟560,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Tastings are a good way to expand your palate. Look for the larger wine shops in your area. They usually have them. You want 20 or more pourings. You pay a flat fee and get a print out of the offerings. You can make notes on the paper.

You'll build a nice collection with less guesswork. :)

~bella

Yeah, I’ve done a few. The conclusion I arrived at was that it didn’t get interesting or consistent enough to judge until I was over $25/bottle, and I can get some fine whiskey for $5-6+/serving.

The thing about the sommelier pairings is that there’s often little correlation between a wine that works great with a dish and a wine that I’d like to drink on its own. So, I’m fine skipping wine at home and outsourcing the selection to professionals when I’m in the mood to get fancy.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The thing about the sommelier pairings is that there’s often little correlation between a wine that works great with a dish and a wine that I’d like to drink on its own.

I don’t drink with meals. Sacrilege I know. That’s probably due to singleness. If I’m cooking for someone I’ll handle the beverage too. In most instances I have a glass of wine because I’m in the mood for one. I buy what I like and worry less about pairings.

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟434,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Ok here we go. I'm all over the map depending on where I am on the map.

In England I loved the earthy ales made by many of the newer local breweries there. The kind you dont want ice cold. None of them cracked 5% alc but they still felt hearty without being rich, if that makes sense. Perfect for after the days bike touring.

In Japan I loved the crisp macro-brews which to my palette the main brands were more or less interchangeable. They accompany the lighter subtle flavors of Japanese food perfectly. Excellent for after the days bike touring.

At home I like:
-beer: Not too huge or hoppy. Prefer a hop/malt balance. Once in a while the massive IPA trend hits the spot, but not usually. Also been into certain Euro macro brews lately like Pilsner Urquel in warmer weather.

-wine: Like light/med bodied French and Italian reds. Love a good Cote du Rhone. Also, summer is great for a Sauvignon blanc.

-Scotch: Its been ages since I had a proper peaty Islay dram. But I love that stuff for sipping, with a splash of water.

-cocktail: Manhattan

-overall: my preferences are very context, place, mood dependent.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟434,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I knew you wouldn’t disappoint me! I’m impressed. :D
Thanks!

For everyone, I strongly second your recommendation of a wine tasting class. Took one at the local college ages ago. 5 or 6 sessions with maybe 7 tastings each, each session focused on one general type or region. Very demystifying and fun.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks!

For everyone, I strongly second your recommendation of a wine tasting class. Took one at the local college ages ago. 5 or 6 sessions with maybe 7 tastings each, each session focused on one general type or region. Very demystifying and fun.

I worked at a wine shop. The company hosted several tastings each month. They were free for employees and I went. I discovered a lot by doing so.

I’ve flirted with certification. I’d love to expand my knowledge.

~bella

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟434,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I worked at a wine shop. The company hosted several tastings each month. They were free for employees and I went. I discovered a lot by doing so.

I’ve flirted with certification. I’d love to expand my knowledge.

~bella
Oh wow. I nominate you for official CF sommelier.

• Friendly
Upvote 0