What is your opinion of the Catholic Church?

What is your opinion of the Catholic Church?

• Favorable

• Mostly Favorable

• Neutral

• Mostly Unfavorable

• Unfavorable

Results are only viewable after voting.

Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really couldn't sum my feelings up with any of those options. There's a great deal I love about the Catholic church, just as there are things I have issues with.

It's really kinda subjective for me and depends on the context. Am I favourable of the fact that the Catholic church seeks to serve God? Of course! Am I favourable of some of the specifics? No. Depending on the context I imagine I could answer all of the options provided.

Peace

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I really couldn't sum my feelings up with any of those options. There's a great deal I love about the Catholic church, just as there are things I have issues with.

It's really kinda subjective for me and depends on the context. Am I favourable of the fact that the Catholic church seeks to serve God? Of course! Am I favourable of some of the specifics? No. Depending on the context I imagine I could answer all of the options provided.

Peace
Ah I see. That would make you neutral then wouldn't it?

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
What is your opinion of the Catholic Church? Is it Favorable, Mostly Favorable, Neutral, Mostly Unfavorable, or Unfavorable? Please vote in the poll and post here

I voted "favorable" and had you put an option for "highly favorable" I would have voted that.

I hold the CC in high esteem. For more reasons that I possibly have time now to list (perhaps I'll try to come back latter and list some things). And I THANK GOD for my roughly 5 years that I was a guest in the CC and for the ways that richly blessed me.

I consider it to be a valid denomination, I consider her clergy and ministries to be valid, I embrace all Christians within her as my FULL, UNseparted brothers and sisters in Christ, EQUALLY a part of the one holy catholic and apostolic church. I consider nothing she teaches to be heresy. I would be honored (sic) to kneel with my FULL, EQUAL brothers and sisters in Christ to receive His true, literal, real Body and Blood in the Holy Eucharist. Sadly, none of these things is mutual but that does not detour me in the least.

I DO disagree with a FEW things that Catholics teach, and I don't embrace (but don't reject) a few other things. And I can be passionate about that, LOL. My blessed journey into Catholicism powerfully changed me in many ways, but I came out of that voyage firmly embracing conservative, traditional, reformation Protestantism. I am increasingly firmly, a conservative Lutheran ("Catholics in exile" "Evangelical Catholis" LOL). So, while I'm very pro-protestant (at least the "first wave" conservative forms of that), I'm BY NOT MEANS "anti-catholic." I lement what happened in 1520 (as I do what happened in 1054) but I can't personally undo it or the reasons on both sides for it, as much as I wish I could.

I pray daily for the CC - her members and minsiter and Holy Father - that God will continue to richly bless her and all she does to advance the Great Commandment and Great Commission.

BTW, I once told my priest that I agree with the CC at least 95% of the time. He laughed and commented that that's a lot better than most Catholics (he's right about that, LOL) and replied that he agreed with my denomination at least 95% of the time. Sad we tend to forget that.

My $0.01

Pax!

- Josiah

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I voted neutral as well...

There are some things about the RCC church that are just beautiful....and others I just cannot agree with :)

Shalom

What are the things you disagree with Gwenyfur? :confused:

Upvote 0

Taure

May 20, 2005
London
✟949.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What are the things you disagree with Gwenyfur?

You didn't ask me, but I'll tell you what I disagree with anyway...lol.

Firstly, the belief that the Pope is not only chosen by God, but also inerrant.

Beliefs on purgatory and praying for the souls of the dead.

Beliefs on sex and contraception.

The tendency within the RCC towards fundamentalism i.e. literal view of the bible, inerrant view of the bible, very exclusivist, concentration on hellfire and damnation.

A level of formality I find unnecessary.

Their views of the bread and wine literally changing into Christ's body and blood.

The idea of saints.

Their fascination with Mary.

The sexism.

The focus on priests interceding for you.

The large amount of corruption in the churches history. For example, charging for prayers for the dead.

That's mostly it.

I realise that there will be RC's who do not hold these beliefs, but they are the position of the church as an institution. Still, they are Christians, and that is mainly what matters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love Catholic spirituality -- whenever I walk into a Catholic church, I can almost feel the sincerity of the prayers.

The Catholic Church has produced some of the most amazing thinkers and writers -- Thomas Aquinas, Hildegard of Bingen, Julian of Norwich, Catherine of Siena, etc.

By and large, I have been very impressed by the Catholic people I've met.

The Catholic liturgy is gorgeous. Take away the Catholic Church, and the Western religious tradition and Western music as we know it does not exist.

My Lutheran parish feels the same way, which is why we let a Catholic parish use our space (and we moved our worship time back an hour) so the Catholic parish would have a place to worship on Sundays after their parish sanctuary burned down. (We still socialize together even though they have since rebuilt their sanctuary.)

I agree with some Catholic points of doctrine and disagree with some other points; and to me the Pope is the Bishop of Rome -- which is why I'm a Lutheran.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
No, it isn't. That is your personal belief.

It's nothing but your personal belief that it isn't . .

I agree with Psalm 18, and this is what Peter confessed.

Your understanding of this is nothing but your personal belief. . . .

Psalm 18:31

31 For who is God besides the LORD
And who is the Rock except our God?

Now you have scripture disagreeing with scripture if men cannot be the Rock.

For Abraham is the ROCK too. . .
Isa 51:1 Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the LORD: look unto the rock whence ye are hewn, and to the hole of the pit whence ye are digged.
Isa 51:2 Look unto Abraham your father, and unto Sarah that bare you: for I called him alone, and blessed him, and increased him.

Abraham is called "the ROCK" here. . . same word in Hebrew as in your verse from Psalms.

So, your personal opinion as to what this verse in Psalms means contradicts the whole of scripture.

And Psalm 18:46

46 The LORD lives! Praise be to my Rock!
Exalted be God my Savior!

Anyhow, you asked for my opinion...not a debate.

Same situation . . same Hebrew word, applied to both God and Man . .

so your opinion, which you want to give and not debate, does not hold water, as your opinion makes it so this word can only be used to describe God.

Obviously, God disagrees with your opinion, as He used it Himself to describe ABRAHAM.

Jesus (GOD) used it to describe Peter.

Reactions: Ave Maria
Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
You didn't ask me, but I'll tell you what I disagree with anyway...lol.

Firstly, the belief that the Pope is not only chosen by God, but also inerrant.

Well, are you willing to have your misconceptions put to rest?

We do not teach that the Pope is personally inerrant.

Beliefs on purgatory and praying for the souls of the dead.

OK . . but you disagree with all the ancient Church on this matter then too . . including the 1st century Church.

Beliefs on sex and contraception.
OK . . but you disagree with all the ancient Church on this matter then too . . including the 1st century Church, as well as the unamnimous teaching of all Churches, Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant until 1930 . . . then it all started to fall apart, and the Catholic Church alone stands against all the Church did for 1900 years unanimously. . .

The tendency within the RCC towards fundamentalism i.e. literal view of the bible, inerrant view of the bible, very exclusivist, concentration on hellfire and damnation.

Huh? Where are you gettting your information from?

Do you deny hell?

A level of formality I find unnecessary.
OK . . but you disagree with all the ancient Church on this matter then too . . including the 1st century Church.

Their views of the bread and wine literally changing into Christ's body and blood.

The idea of saints.

Their fascination with Mary

The sexism.

Huh?

The focus on priests interceding for you.

The large amount of corruption in the churches history. For example, charging for prayers for the dead.

I think you over exaggerate . . :) You are speaking of ALMS . . . a practice from ancient Christianity . . it's in the bible. . .

That's mostly it.

OK . .some of it is misconception, some of it is fundamentally disagreeing with all the ancient Church on this matter then too . . including the 1st century Church.

I realise that there will be RC's who do not hold these beliefs, but they are the position of the church as an institution. Still, they are Christians, and that is mainly what matters.

:)

Upvote 0

IamAdopted

Nov 22, 2006
South Carolina
✟18,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, are you willing to have your misconceptions put to rest?

We do not teach that the Pope is personally inerrant.

OK . . but you disagree with all the ancient Church on this matter then too . . including the 1st century Church, as well as the unamnimous teaching of all Churches, Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant until 1930 . . . then it all started to fall apart, and the Catholic Church alone stands against all the Church did for 1900 years unanimously. . .

Huh? Where are you gettting your information from?

Do you deny hell?

Huh?

I think you over exaggerate . . :) You are speaking of ALMS . . . a practice from ancient Christianity . . it's in the bible. . .

OK . .some of it is misconception, some of it is fundamentally disagreeing with all the ancient Church on this matter then too . . including the 1st century Church.

:)

How ancient? And from whos standpoint? This depepends on who's History is being read..

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
for your quotes, I thot you were going to use the Bible- non the less I do not have anything personal against you guys; but I tend to differ in certain issues
1. priests forgiving people (under whose authority)
2. Forbiding the men of God to marry (Paul was against such teachings)
3. The issue of Mary (baffles me big tym)
If u can elaborate on these issues Then I think I'll be able to vote without any biases.
God bless you
Paul states it is better to marry , than to burn with passion , but the single life is better ....

Mary was chosen from women , Joseph from men to raise Jeus ... must have been a couple of plugged in prayer warriors ...

sins ...Luke 9.1, 10.9 James 5.16, acts 2.38,3.19

remeber the story about the plank and beam or the addage people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones ...

we all have some granola[fruits , flakes, and nut cases] in the tenants of our faith and in the founders and ministers of our affiliation ... if we point a finger at others there are 3 pointing back at us ...

what goes around , comes around -- Galatians 6.7

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Just wondering....

1. Where is ALL THAT "anti-catholicism" that I hear at least once a day is "all over ChristianForums?

2. When I post that I don't denounce but don't agree with something the CC does or teaches as dogma - I can always count on a tidal wave of passionate response. I posted in this forum and nobody even noticed, LOL.

Ain't life fun?

Love to all!

Pax!

- Josiah

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
1. Where is ALL THAT "anti-catholicism" that I hear at least once a day is "all over ChristianForums?
:D

Where is all that anti-Christiandom that I here all over the GA board. :)

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
:D
Where is all that anti-Christiandom that I here all over the GA board. :)

Kind of strange how someone posts as though we should always take notice of his sentiments regarding Catholicism and comment on them . . . This time even going so far as to be the ONLY one to mention anti-Catholicism at all in the thread thus far, even going so far as to defend againt an accuation of anti-Catholicism no one made, and then point out that it was ignored, again, being the only one to bring up anti-Catholicism in this thread. .

One has to wonder why this someone posts in this way to stir the pot . . . ..?

Reactions: Letalis
Upvote 0