Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Final Fantasy IV...and mind you, the hard version that we never got.

Other favorites are:

Final Fantasy VI (Japanese version, mind you)
Final Fantasy V
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Super Meteroid
Super Mario All-Stars
Donkey Kong Country
(some of the best video game music ever)

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Final Fantasy IV...and mind you, the hard version that we never got.

Other favorites are:

Final Fantasy VI (Japanese version, mind you)
Final Fantasy V
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Super Meteroid
Super Mario All-Stars
Donkey Kong Country
(some of the best video game music ever)
Mind you, why the Japanese version of FFVI? Was it different? I have both the US version of it (SNES- FFIII) and the Japanese version (FC- FFVI), but I haven't played through the J-version. What's different?

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I haven't fully gone through the J-version either, but I have both the cart and a fantranslation with a patch that fixes the bugs, and I personally prefer:

1. Less bugs (I remember one time accidentally using Relm's scketch bug a long time ago that erased my game...never did do a complete playthrough since). The patch fixes evade, Blue Magic spell Ripler, Shadow's Interceptor, and a number of other bugs.
2. More "accurate" translation. The language is rougher than it should (as I'm sure you agree, many fantrans can be a little overzealous), but Relm was noted to be quite the spitfire in the original. I just like the story as it was originally, not secondhand.
3. The game is FF IV, NOT III ;) Just that reason is enough IMO.

Admittedly however, I do name all the characters when I can their US versions: Tina as Terra (sounds better), Mash as Sabin (MUCH BETTER), etc. Perhaps I'm nostalgic? ;)

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Oh I remember playing Life Force. I need to remember the soundtrack though since it's been like over 10 years since someone took our NES. :(
It's been perpetually stuck in my head since about 1988. :)

You can find the soundtrack online HERE. Here's a cool video with a remixed soundtrack HERE. This should be in an NES thread, but oh well!

Just to keep this on topic...

How about F-Zero? Definitely one of my favourite SNES games. It totally blew me away when I first played it when it (and the SNES) first game out. Good-bye Rad Racer (and Outrun, and Super Monaco GP on the Genesis), hello F-Zero and mode 7!!!

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How about F-Zero? Definitely one of my favourite SNES games. It totally blew me away when I first played it when it (and the SNES) first game out. Good-bye Rad Racer (and Outrun, and Super Monaco GP on the Genesis), hello F-Zero and mode 7!!!

Falcon Punch!

**ducks** (actually, he annoys me to no end)

I never played it, although I recall its graphic-breaking entry into the market. Perhaps I should give it a go sometime.

And speaking of graphics, I do remember playing the original Star Fox cart and the whole whoop-law about it. Great game and I daresay its main theme beat that of the N64 remake.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Falcon Punch!

**ducks** (actually, he annoys me to no end)

I never played it, although I recall its graphic-breaking entry into the market. Perhaps I should give it a go sometime.
You're almost the same age as me and you've never had the chance to give F-Zero a go? I can't fathom that! Seriously, it is a really fun racer. I still play it today, I like it so much! I've got it on the SNES, another copy on the Super Famicom, and then again on the Wii VC (no idea why I bought it on the VC, but oh well). The music in it is also very top notch. Memorable stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9pIgHZe-KM&feature=related

And speaking of graphics, I do remember playing the original Star Fox cart and the whole whoop-law about it. Great game and I daresay its main theme beat that of the N64 remake.
I agree that the SNES theme is better. Some great music was composed on the SNES. While we're talking about music, how about Actraiser?

When Star Fox game out, I was too busy with my Genesis and Sega CD to care. I bought Silpheed, a shoot 'em up that came out on the Sega CD about the same time that Star Fox did and also features polygon graphics (although 2D gameplay, while Star Fox was 3D gameplay). IMO, it absolutely blows Star Fox out of the water. It honestly looks like an early Playstation game. It's a very fun shooter today, while I get bored of Star Fox in a couple minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJW2D3evOEQ&feature=related

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're almost the same age as me and you've never had the chance to give F-Zero a go? I can't fathom that!

Well, I didn't say I never had the chance to play it; I just never did.

Seriously, it is a really fun racer. I still play it today, I like it so much! I've got it on the SNES, another copy on the Super Famicom, and then again on the Wii VC (no idea why I bought it on the VC, but oh well). The music in it is also very top notch. Memorable stuff.

My cousin broke my SNES long, long ago. I really should have made him pay. Could get a new one though...

VC is a little different on some of its games. Perhaps that is why?

Speaking of racing, remember the three Road Rash games on the Sega Genesis? That's good stuff too ;)

I agree that the SNES theme is better. Some great music was composed on the SNES. While we're talking about music, how about Actraiser?

Never played that one either. :sorry:

When Star Fox game out, I was too busy with my Genesis and Sega CD to care. I bought Silpheed, a shoot 'em up that came out on the Sega CD about the same time that Star Fox did and also features polygon graphics (although 2D gameplay, while Star Fox was 3D gameplay). IMO, it absolutely blows Star Fox out of the water. It's a very fun shooter today, while I get bored of Star Fox in a couple minutes.

I never played too much Sega and only had the Genesis. I remember playing on the Sega channel when they had that back in the '90's. That was always fun.

Personally, it is too bad Sega left the console market. Felt like an end of an era. I remember when one of my cousins and I argued for hours on end which was better and would last: Nintendo and Sega. I really should see if I can still collect the money (kid's bet mind you; neither of us had or have the kind of dough we "bet") ;)

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
VC is a little different on some of its games. Perhaps that is why?
I haven't noticed any difference on VC games except with the sound quality on Turbographx-16 CD games. The sound obviously isn't as good as on the TG-16 CD.

When I bought my Wii Classic Controllers, they each came with a 5000 point card. So, I had about $100 worth of point to blow on VC games. After getting a few TG-16 CD games that I wanted, I got a few great games on the SNES/NES and Genesis that I already had. Why not get games that I didn't already own? Because the ones I own are my favourites! Metroid, Super Metroid, Mario 1, 3 and World, F-Zero, Sonic 1 & 2, Actraiser, Ys 1&2, Gates of Thunder (TG-16 CD) and Lords of Thunder, Salamander, Gradius 2, Castlevania IV and Dracula X, etc. Those are some of the best games ever made! I play these sorts of games more than any "modern" game on the PS2, PS3 or Wii.

Speaking of racing, remember the three Road Rash games on the Sega Genesis? That's good stuff too ;)
Don't forget the Sega CD version! I don't own any of them, but I used to rent/borrow them all the time. I have the fondest memories of Road Rash 2. I have the 3DO and PC version, which are the exact same.

Never played that one either. :sorry:
Actraiser wasn't as popular as the other early SNES games, but it was really good. It's worth a go if you like the more difficult platformers like Ghouls & Ghosts.

I never played too much Sega and only had the Genesis. I remember playing on the Sega channel when they had that back in the '90's. That was always fun.
I used to wish I had the Sega Channel. I lived in a small rural northern town in Canada. The local cable company didn't offer that sort of thing.

Personally, it is too bad Sega left the console market. Felt like an end of an era. I remember when one of my cousins and I argued for hours on end which was better and would last: Nintendo and Sega. I really should see if I can still collect the money (kid's bet mind you; neither of us had or have the kind of dough we "bet") ;)
Everyone had that bet going on! I got my Genesis just before Sonic 1 and the SNES game out, because I couldn't wait to upgrade from my NES and get some 16-bit graphics! I finally got my SNES maybe a year after I got my Playstation in mid-1996 I think. One of my friends gave it to me since he was only interested in the Playstation (Final Fantasy VII had a lot to do with his decision). I also aquired my first Saturn from another friend who was hooked on Playstation.

The Playstation, in a round-a-bout way, was really good to me!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jan 27, 2009
Somewhere out there
✟8,559.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
I used to wish I had the Sega Channel. I lived in a small rural northern town in Canada. The local cable company didn't offer that sort of thing.

Me too, except for the Canada part. Except we could only dream of having cable. We had to get one of those ginourmous satellites for cable channels. The ones that by the time they finished rotating, your show was over.

Everyone had that bet going on! I got my Genesis just before Sonic 1 and the SNES game out, because I couldn't wait to upgrade from my NES and get some 16-bit graphics! I finally got my SNES maybe a year after I got my Playstation in mid-1996 I think. One of my friends gave it to me since he was only interested in the Playstation (Final Fantasy VII had a lot to do with his decision). I also aquired my first Saturn from another friend who was hooked on Playstation.

The Playstation, in a round-a-bout way, was really good to me!

Man, I was such a Sega fanboy back in the day. My Genesis was > *...until the PS1 came out. And I had to have one.

I wound up selling off my Genesis and quite a large amount of games for a PS and Crash Bandicoot. Looking back, I feel bad, but considering how much enjoyment I got out of my Playstation, I can't really complain. Hey, Final Fantasy VII & VIII are some of the highlights of my life.

Honestly though, my Genesis was getting worn out and overheating constantly (won't forget the night I almost beat Sonic 3D Blast and the game froze because my Genesis overheated). It was on its last legs, and the store that bought mine refurbished systems. So I'm sure it made someone happy after they repaired it.

But I'm definitely getting another Genesis eventually. I really would like to grab a model 1 Genesis (mine was a model 2). IIRC, the series one had less hassle installing a 32X.

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
But I'm definitely getting another Genesis eventually. I really would like to grab a model 1 Genesis (mine was a model 2). IIRC, the series one had less hassle installing a 32X.
The AC power adapter on the model 1 is a lot better. It uses the same one as the NES, SNES, Sega CD, and Turbographx-16. It's so easy and convenient. For some retarted reason, the model 2 uses a strange Sega-in house adapter. The only good thing about it is that it also works on the Game Gear. On more thing... as far as I know, the model 2 doesn't output stereo sound. The model 1 does through the headphone jack. Becasue of that, the model 1 had better sound. It also looks a lot cooler!

Model 1 is the way to go. It even looks decent on my model 2 Sega CD. :D

Upvote 0