What is your biggest challenge in business?

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Regulations - OSHA, IRS, EPA, Local, State, and Federal
LEED - ("Least Economically Efficient Design") - and anything "green"

Another very troubling problem we have are the last two generations of workers coming into the job market - pitifully poor work ethics (for those that have a semblance of one), entitlement mentalities (short hours, easy work, great benefits....), and practically zero ambition or initiative.

Seriously - the workforce is rapidly losing people with strong work ethics, senses of responsibility and personal accountability. This is a HUGE problem we face every day.

Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A business (also known as a company, enterprise, and firm) is a legally recognized organization designed to provide goods or services, or both, to consumers, businesses and governmental entities. Businesses are predominant in capitalist economies. Most businesses are privately owned. A business is typically formed to earn profit that will increase the wealth of its owners and grow the business itself. The owners and operators of a business have as one of their main objectives the receipt or generation of a financial return in exchange for work and acceptance of risk. Notable exceptions include cooperative enterprises and state-owned enterprises. Businesses can also be formed not-for-profit or be state-owned.

The etymology of "business" relates to the state of being busy either as an individual or society as a whole, doing commercially viable and profitable work. The term "business" has at least three usages, depending on the scope — the singular usage (above) to mean a particular company or corporation, the generalized usage to refer to a particular market sector, such as "the music business" and compound forms such as agribusiness, or the broadest meaning to include all activity by the community of suppliers of goods and services. However, the exact definition of business, like much else in the philosophy of business, is a matter of debate and complexity of meanings.

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 13, 2010
✟15,113.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Starting up a business is difficult, but with the proper steps it can be done. The second thing is attracting customers. That's why I became a copywriter; to help small businesses attract customers—its not difficult, if you know exactly who you are trying to attract.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seriously - the workforce is rapidly losing people with strong work ethics, senses of responsibility and personal accountability. This is a HUGE problem we face every day.
Really? Where have they all gone?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
✟15,113.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The 'good' workers has not vanished or changed, its the businesses that we work for that's changed. We no longer have the stability that a permanent full-time job had for grandma and granddad. Mom and Dad now is being laid off and their 'employee' retirement funds are being man-handled or snatched away from them. Trusting your employer to do the right thing by you, if things go Jeff to the left, went out the window years ago.

We as workers haven't lost our values or ethics; we must pay extra attention and start taking care of ourselves now. We are forced to handle our income better, to start businesses of our own, to invest wisely, and make sure that we have a retirement program in place (whether our employers have one in place or not). We have to be ready if our jobs slips from under us.

That's why I started working for myself a long time ago. To make that extra money, but to also prepare to face the changes that we are facing now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've been self-employed since 1985. It's been wonderful.
Apprenticing young men, watching their families grow, watching them teach the next generation, are the things that make it rich.

I have definitely noticed a difference in the young men that come to us now. For lack of a more accurate word, they're sissies.
There's no toughness, no work-hurt, no love for the brute physicality of it.

There is also an encumbering sense of entitlement these young men need to be dispossed of.

We had a 27yr old 1st yr man quit IN TEARS because the crew were razzing him for wanting to go home early behind breaking his little finger.
He quit a very good job over a right of passage. (finish the day hurt)
The man has a family, a mortgage, and there's 12.3% unemployment in this county. To me, that's a sissy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm an occupational healthcare provider. I treat work injuries, and advise my client on health and safety issues in the workplace, and on medical conditions in employees which may affect their performance and safety. A big part of my job is also reviewing workplace drug testing. The biggest issue is balancing the expectations of the employer and the worker. I make sure the employer (and the work comp carrier) knows that my highest priority is always given to the health and safety of an injured or ill employee. And I also make it clear to the worker that his treatment will include every medical intervention that he needs, but not necessarily everything that he wants.

Upvote 0