TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
one of the things i am having trouble with at University is this ' Goliath mentality", which is really holding me back.

by Goliath mentality, is before i tackle on an assessment, i have the tendency to see the task as overwhelming, and i cant do it.

and that make me unmotivated to tackle the task and when i do, i tend to get a headache.

The weird thing is many times i get my assignments back, or sat a test, i actually did better than I thought, and afterwards, i experience this euphoria of motivations from seeing those task for the first time. But they never last long before i go back to my pattern.

I dont know what to do.

I make sure I get plenty of rest, that work to a certain extent, but only so far.

i tried to break down the task down to size, helped a bit, but still.....

I would appreciate any insights....

self talk of my past expererience of success doesnt quite work either.......

thank you

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know, do you have an issue of depression?

Some things you could consider...

It can be stress. Do some relaxation exercises
Clear your head with short fun activity or take a walk
Eat a snack before you study
Join a study group or get a study partner
Find a new place to study
Reward yourself with something after each test like a music download or something but something you can see.

You might not like the course. Admit it and know it's only for a season.

That's my 2 cents!

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Healthy foods, filtered tapwater, restful night's sleep, fresh oxygenated cool air, all required from a healthy brain or mind intelligence, and even though our present earth-born minds have been somewhat tainted with sin since Adam and Eve had sinned at first in the Garden of Eden, our future-coming genius-intelligent minds and measure-perfect bodies of Christ are definitely promised to us when Jesus returns and transforms us, once Satan is defeated and sin completely removed from future failures and tragedies such as fatal car accidents:.
Even our future-coming new homes will become pest-proof as every living creature, from microscopic such as bed mites to gigantic such as elephants, will be under supernatural Christ's control or subjection, "bowing down on their knees", if you like, bringing respect and no harm to our new youth-eternal lives as brothers and sisters of Christ on a new paradise Earth, as we will become socially positive and creating positive success stories through spiritual/material wealth time and time again while under Jesus Christ's reign on Earth.;'*';.
:liturgy:

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
one of the things i am having trouble with at University is this ' Goliath mentality", which is really holding me back.

by Goliath mentality, is before i tackle on an assessment, i have the tendency to see the task as overwhelming, and i cant do it.

*This reminds me of the spies who
scouted out Canaan and gave the bad report (despite God's
faithful promises) which was:
"The land through which we have gone as spies is a land that
devours its inhabitants, and all the people whom we saw in it are
men of great stature. There we saw the giants
(the descendants of Anak came from the giants); and we were like
grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight."

However, Caleb(who trusted God and believed His promises) said:
"Let us go up at once and take possession, for we are well able to
overcome it."
Caleb had been one of the spies...yet he saw things differently
(because he wasn't swayed by the giants, descendants of Anak)
Caleb trusted God and it's evident that he purposed in his heart to
believe God's promises and he was assured of the success of the
impending campaign because he'd witnessed the fruition things that God
said He'd do for His children if they would remain obedient to Him.

and that make me unmotivated to tackle the task and when i do, i tend to get a headache.

The weird thing is many times i get my assignments back, or sat a test, i actually did better than I thought, and afterwards, i experience this euphoria of motivations from seeing those task for the first time. But they never last long before i go back to my pattern.

I dont know what to do.

I make sure I get plenty of rest, that work to a certain extent, but only so far.

thank you

* As I recall you suffer with a mental illness?
That can affect one's perception.

I think your doing good-- getting plenty of rest, breaking the task down to size--
The other thing you can do when faced with a task-- pray.

Upvote 0

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this is normal. I have it too. It is worst when I feel like circumstances or someone TOLD me I HAD to do something. Once I feel like it is a pressure upon me with a deadline and eyes watching me then I don't want to do it. Or I feel like I can't meet expectations.
When I feel like I can CHOOSE to do it, becasue I know it's good for me or because I want to get ahead, I somehow find the will to accomplish it.
But in some cases, you don't get the leisure of a task NOT being commanded of you by someone your superior. So you have to get in a mindset that you are choosing the right instead of allowing them to boss you around and burden you with heavy stuff.

Upvote 0

bottledwater

Under Construction
Mar 1, 2015
✟1,505.00
Faith
Christian

The weird thing is many times i get my assignments back, or sat a test, i actually did better than I thought, and afterwards, i experience this euphoria of motivations from seeing those task for the first time. But they never last long before i go back to my patt
I dont know what to do.

thank you

With all of the travel and paperwork in my job. Not to mention managing my responsibilities at home while I am away or even while still at home. It can be quite overwhelming at times. I can go a little nuts. lol..
I find that categorizing everything in columns of priority, and then just placing them in small packages of time in my day-timer, makes all the difference between an unproductive day, or a great day that was extremely productive, and fulfilling. This may sound cliche. But, it is how everyone has being doing it since the beginning of time. Even God keeps books..... It works..........

Hope this helped brother

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,816.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, sometimes it helps me to go back and forth from something daunting to something easier to do. Maybe just decide to do 30 minutes on the "non preferred" task at a time, then get up and do some more preferred task, or call a friend, or do some "burst" (very fast, but intense) exercises, whatever, and go back for 30 minutes to the "Goliath" task. Sometimes you may get caught up and want to spend more than 30 minutes on the task and that is fine of course.

Just a thought. Praying for you to find what works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0