what is ur idea how to best preach gospel to a person?

hiumble1

Jan 18, 2005
NC
Visit site
✟16,102.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some poeple feel that do not have the skills (do not fill the 'Job Description'). There is a problem. Was Paul skilled... ?(he claimed to not being an eloquent speaker, and having much fear and trembling when spreading the gospel.)
look at this situation:
You are walking along and notice a 2-story building burning and you notice 2 people on the 2nd floor screaming.... what do you do... do you keep on walking and say to yourself I sure hope the fire department shows up soon?
Or, again walking along and pass a swimming pool and notice someone drowning in the pool... what do you do.... do you keep walking along and say to yourself I sure hope a lifeguard shows up soon....
NO...
You try to do something.
Someone is not saved... you know what they need to know (the truth).... what do you do.... do you keep going about your life and hope some evangelist comes by and explains it to them?.... you are the one who God has called... Will you be like Jonah? (running from his call) or will you find a way....

No one is promised tomorrow.... Everyone makes comments when someone dies.... they say, "Oh, they died Unexpectedly."
Who expects to die today?
It comes when we least expect.
The person you are afraid to talk to, could not have a tomorrow, if they are not saved where will they go?
What are YOU going to do?
Be Like Paul... Going even though he was afraid and trembling and was not an elequent speaker.
We wrongly think we have to have something more to add (kind of like window dressing, to gussy it up)... The Word is sufficient....
Did you come because someone was flashy in their presentation or did you come because you heard the truth.
Willo is correct in sharing the Ray Comfort Audio. It cuts to the chase.... Dont have to have a PhD in Apologetics, etc....
Are we afraid when we share our faith with others we do not know (can not speak for Willo), for me, MOST DEFINITELY... but greater is he who is in me than he who is in the world..... You have something that can take you through anything.... Now what are you going to do.... [dont leave it up to your pastor or others..... please..... say something.... time is running out]

Reactions: MoNiCa4316
Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe it's a matter of skills at all. You look at the disciples Jesus got together. He couldn't have picked much more a mismatched lot. Tax collectors, fisherman, the "sinners" of the day, basically not the most socially accepted group of people.

God will use as wherever we are at, it's about us actually taking the leap to go out there into the harvest.

I started doing this deliberately in personal life but also deliberately in university, going up to people randomly (not really randomly, we always pray for guidance before we start) and sharing the gospel

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Well in that case the best way is as already has been discussed, relational. Think of how many friends you have that are not Christian. Have you ever spoken to them of your faith? Have you ever asked them about what they believe. Challenge them with the Word of God and prove to them that it is, in fact the truth.

Do these people believe in a God? Then explain why you believe there is a God, and why he is also Jesus Christ. Always have answers to questions people have about you and your faith.

Be honest, and transparent. Make sure that your relationship with people is an integral and honest relationship.

Other than that, heaps of prayer is always good, and practice what you preach!

Upvote 0

Jarvo

Dec 16, 2006
London
✟7,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Someone is not saved... you know what they need to know (the truth).... what do you do.... do you keep going about your life and hope some evangelist comes by and explains it to them?.... you are the one who God has called... Will you be like Jonah? (running from his call) or will you find a way....

Yea, I see your point, and agree to an extent. But, on the other hand, we can't stop and share the Word with everyone we pass in the street, otherwise we would never get to work/school etc. Also, God has given us discernment, and we should use that to know when to speak out, and when just to be a friend. For example, Jesus could have told Zecharius when he first saw him to change his ways. But no, the first thing he did was say - 'I'm having lunch with you today' - we need to invest time, and not just tell people the word and then go.

Jarvo

Upvote 0

tenj

May 25, 2007
✟15,112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
so how do we understand who and when to talk to? - meaning, how do we know when God is calling us? are there not times when we must go out and talk with people before we understand what God has called us to do? - My problem is that I feel like I cant figure out when Im suppose to help (share the gosel) someone while walking by or to just keep walking. I know I should listen to what the spirit says...but what does it say biblically. And what if I feel like the spirit is talking to me that much. am i deaf of it?

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I agree that it's a good idea to build a relationship first. It's important to be loving and genuinely interested in what the person believes, and not just see them as a 'potential convert'. Sometimes I get really nervous when I'm sharing my faith with people (even good friends), and I almost want to 'get it over with'. lol... and it doesn't help that I'm not a really good speaker (although several times God definitely gave me the right words to say and I was very surprised! :D ).

Also, it took me a long time to learn how to respond to someone who really disagrees with me. I've learned that it's best not to get caught up in arguments about things like evolution, or history... it's better to listen to the person, make a good point, and then stop.

I've found that people are most interested in the gospel when I talk about how it has affected my life, and when I do so with confidence and joy. Instead of telling the other person why they're wrong, we should show them how wonderful God is...we should show them a light that's so lovely that they want to know the source of it.

Upvote 0

Drummerdave96

Jul 5, 2007
✟15,168.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I also believe that building a relationship is absolutely necessary. However, don't just get to know them so that you can share the gospel with them, get to know them because you love them. And don't love them just so they'll go to church with you, or accept your message, love them because they are human.

Reactions: MoNiCa4316
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HiLaReE320

Jun 23, 2005
✟7,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, in terms of witnessing, I support evangelism that is found on www.livingwaters.com, you know, the kind Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron teach. It is the only way to become a true born again Christian -- to realize you are a sinner in need of a savior. Show the person the 10 commandments and ask if they have kept any of them (nobody has kept any one of them) and then they'll realize they aren't "good enough" to go to heaven, that it's all because of Jesus Christ's grace and blood shed on the Cross that we have any Hope at all.

Well, that's how I like to do it...

Upvote 0

The Julikenz

God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think Ray Comfort has a good way of sharing the gospel. He has a really interesting sermon called "Hells Best Kept Secret" - which isn't about hell. That shows a simple way of sharing the truth of Christ.

You can listen free here: http://www.livingwaters.com/learn/hellsbestkeptsecret.htm
I preached for a year with Ray Comforts style of evangelism. And I must say, it is not only ineffective, it is damaging.

Nice quote, but to bad it isn't biblical. For it is always necessary to use words.

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? " - Romans 10:14
If you think that the bible teaches words without actions, you are grossly mistaken. Jesus spent a very small part of his life preaching to the masses, dedicating most to healing the sick, enriching his friends, family and disciples, and personal growth.

Upvote 0

hiumble1

Jan 18, 2005
NC
Visit site
✟16,102.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I preached for a year with Ray Comforts style of evangelism. And I must say, it is not only ineffective, it is damaging.

If you think that the bible teaches words without actions, you are grossly mistaken. Jesus spent a very small part of his life preaching to the masses, dedicating most to healing the sick, enriching his friends, family and disciples, and personal growth.
So... what is it that you do now...
Friendship Evang...?
Small Group evang.... ?
you point out someone's 'style' is damaging yet you have not given an option or point of view.
I dont know if you have understood wilo's point. They need to hear.
I hope you are not saying we do nothing but give food to those who are starving, clothe the poor, heal the sick... for if all we did was that and spoke of nothing of one's need of salvation then we are very cruel indeed.
We tuck them in and make them feel nice and cozy all the while they go on their to hell (how cruel is that).
Sure we should always help those in need, but that should never be the main focus, for if they have not taken care of the eternal security then all we have done is "hugged them while they choke to death".

Upvote 0

The Julikenz

God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
you point out someone's 'style' is damaging yet you have not given an option or point of view.
My point of view is that words are empty without actions, and that Way of the Master's preaching style does not embrace the actions of Jesus in a full enough way.

I dont know if you have understood wilo's point. They need to hear.
I understood his point. I attended a church for years which also held his POV, using the same catch phrases and scripture. ;)

I hope you are not saying we do nothing but give food to those who are starving, clothe the poor, heal the sick... for if all we did was that and spoke of nothing of one's need of salvation then we are very cruel indeed. We tuck them in and make them feel nice and cozy all the while they go on their to hell (how cruel is that).
I hope you are not suggesting that preaching the gospel is only done with the mouth, there are many forms of ministering the 'word' which is God.

Sure we should always help those in need, but that should never be the main focus, for if they have not taken care of the eternal security then all we have done is "hugged them while they choke to death".
This is where will disagree, and from my end at least, that shall be respectfully so. If we have not fed the starving, healed the sick, bound up the broken hearted, if our actions have not matched our words, then we have missed the point. :swoon:

Upvote 0

hiumble1

Jan 18, 2005
NC
Visit site
✟16,102.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But if we are christians.... (as we say we are) those actions are already present. You can not tape fruit to a tree.... The church as a whole is giving to those in need, the one thing they are extremely lacking in is sharing their faith.
You can ask those professing to be christian if they help with the poor, most say yes... they give financially and of their time as well, when possible, etc.... but when you ask them if they openly share their faith (letting the words explain the actions) most dont know what to say.
I came across a couple at a fair they were excited to see me speaking out to people, we spoke, and they said they also go out and share their faith.... they give gorceries to the poor and help out with hurricane victims, and volunteer at the soup kitchen. I aasked them have they ever spoke to any of them about there faith and where they might be in their faith, they said no, they never thought about it.
Which is the problem, There is nothing wrong at all with doing those things mentioned (we all should be doing something in someway, if we say we are christians)... but understand this: Even those who do not believe do the same thing, Case in point extreme makeover home edition.
What sets you apart from non-christians who give charitably of time and finances? your destination.
And knowing thism, should we not find a way to mention or bring up those things that they may need for an eternity versus those things which may help for the time but in the end will not save.
[I am not saying to not help our fellow man; NO, by no means am I saying that, but if all we do is reach out a hand when they are down to lift them up with out speaking to them, then it may be better for you to just push them back down; cause you may not truly be helping in the long run; for there is only one who can truly help, and if you do not introduce them then how can Jesus step in]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trentlogain

Apr 25, 2007
✟15,422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is a passage that I highlighted in my Bible a while back. I think it applies here..

Ezekiel 34: 2-4

2.Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel, prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD unto the shepherds; Woe be to the shepherds of Israel that do feed themselves! should not the shepherds feed the flocks?
3. Ye eat the fat, and ye clothe you with the wool, ye kill them that are fed: but ye feed not the flock. 4. The diseased have ye not strengthened neither have ye healed that which was sick neither have ye bound up that which was broken neither have ye brought again that which was driven away, neither have ye sought that which was lost but with force and with cruelty have ye ruled them.

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what is ur idea how to best preach gospel to a person?

I explain to them their sinfulness before God and their need for a Savior, and God's provision of that Savior in the person of Jesus Christ.

I next explain to them that the Bible says that we must be born again and that this is being crucified to our sinful nature and risen with Christ with a new nature, and that we do this by repenting of our sins, asking God to forgive us, and placing our faith in Christ and His atonement on the cross on our behalf.

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Really? Because we preach the Gospel in a style very similar to his and we've had a great many people come to Christ because of it.

In what way is it damaging?

Upvote 0

Willo

Reformed Bapist
Apr 5, 2005
Brisbane, Queensland
Visit site
✟2,432.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals

I have been using the Way of the Master methodology now for over 4 1/2 years, and in that time I have seen many people come to Christ, and many Christians fired up to share their faith. So realistically one can't argue based on experience, but the question must be asked "Is the methodology biblical?"

Although I must say I have seen Way of the Master methodology abused, and then it becomes ineffective. This is not at the fault of the teaching, but rather the problem is with the one presenting it.

I am a big fan of social action and having good works going with the Gospel. However, if one just has good works and never shares their faith then what is the point?

Upvote 0

handmaiden97

Veteran
Jun 7, 2005
Wyoming
Visit site
✟9,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For me it is all about realtionship. I have more freedom to share with those I have built a relationship with.....however sometimes you get a chance to share with people you dont really know the key there is they have to be able to see that you care. Im not for handing gospel tracts out on the street, taking surveys door to door or such...but we need to meet people where they are at. When you aske the check out lady at Walmart how she is doing if she gives you more than the standard "fine" but lets you see a hurt in her life, agknowledge it. Talk about it. If there is not a line waiting behind you share from scripture God's view on the matter. If there is a line then dont take upi her or their time, but sincerly tell the lady you will pray for her....if at all possible pray right there....keep it short and to the point honor Jesus by honoring this womans time and her bosses work schedule....Next time you see her as how things are going....maybe offer to take her out for a coke and visit afterwards.

When people see you really care they tend to open up and share and they tend to recive the words you offer

Upvote 0