CA
✟17,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Married
Then Pilate entered into the judgment hall again, and called Jesus, and said unto him, "Art thou the King of the Jews?"
Jesus answered him, "Sayest thou this thing of thyself, or did others tell it thee of me?"
Pilate answered, "Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee unto me: what hast thou done?"
Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world: if My kingdom were of this world, then would My servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is My kingdom not from hence."
Pilate therefore said unto him, "Art thou a king then?"
Jesus answered, "Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice."
Pilate saith unto him, "What is truth?" And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, "I find in him no fault at all."
John 18:33-38

What is truth? That which Jesus spoke of. That which is in accordance with reality or fact. God, the author of reality, shares that which is true with us through His Word made flesh. He shares the hidden reality of things that we would be unable to discern for ourselves. But the ear must be ready to hear the truth. "Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice."

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,450.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why didn't he answer?

Pilate actually didn't ask for the answer, that's he walked away at the same time when the question was asked. The whole conversion shows that Pilate isn't truly interested in what Jesus might say. He simply tried to look down and humiliate Jewish people with an attitude of disdain. Especially when he shouts, "Do you want me to release the King of the Jews".

On the other hand, the question itself is not completely meaningless. Now, what is truth?

An analogy is that you are sent back to 3000 years ago with a mission to tell humans there that black holes exist. It's natural when you have to say that I am the truth and the only way to the truth. If black holes do concern humans there, you may also claim that I am the life. The nature of truth here is that sometimes this claim remains the only way how it shall convey.

Last edited:
Upvote 0