Aesjn

Mar 9, 2008
Tir nam Blath
✟880.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
There is a grotto to Our Lady of Lourdes at a monastery nearby that I visit some times when I'm driving by. For the past year or so there has been this little thing there that is curious. It looks like it used to hang on someone's wall, it is a wooden 'case' about two feet tall and a foot wide, with a glass window an a little porcelain statue of pieta in it. Below that, there is a little frame with picture of the last supper. I thought that was it, but today it was evident it was a little compartment since it was open. There were two rosaries, what looked like a blessing cross inside and papers. I'm curious what this was - was it a monks or a priests? Some kind of special thing to keep those things in? It always seemed strange to me this antique looking thing was in there, in the grotto where it gets wet and rots whenever it rains but it seems even stranger now since it seems like it was important to someone. I am thinking it must be something the monks put there since they regularly clean out anything other people bring there and leave.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,723,833.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've had several in my business. It's a sick call/last rites box. People did have them in their homes.

Here is an example-

VERY OLD SICK CALL SET-PIETA-CATHOLIC-VIATICUM-OAK+MORE
charityIcon_16x16.gif

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟445,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That looks awesome.

My grandparents Last Rites box is plain. I have it somehow. I can't remember how I acquired it. I dont think anyone else wanted it, or i was told to take what I wanted. Been so long - I dont remember anymore.
But I like the one pictured.

Upvote 0