Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The rosary primarily is a personal prayer which comprises the devotional life of the Church and is not a liturgical prayer. The people of God oftentimes pray the rosary collectively in many different forums, be it before Mass, after Mass, at the funeral home, in a meeting room, or perhaps in the living room of one’s house. We have all had many experiences of the rosary. In this brief article, I would like to reflect on these varied experiences of the rosary.

In the Church: Before or After

With the dawn of the month of May in sight, parishes will take up the custom of praying the rosary as a community. This may take place before or after Mass or at some other appointed time.

I have often been troubled with the devotional rosary before Mass. I commend its recitation but when prayed before Mass, there may be some who are not familiar with the rosary prayers. One favorable insight is that those present while the rosary is recited may pray the Hail Mary for the first time in a while. I always emphasize the weight and power of the Hail Mary.

Recall the invocation at the end of it: pray for us sinners NOW and at the HOUR OF OUR DEATH. This is quite a powerful invocation. The people in the pew who do not regularly pray the rosary offer this prayer and we can only hope that Mary will honor their invocation; that she will pray for them throughout the course of their earthly sojourn to the Heavenly Jerusalem.

Continued below.