Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
This is definitely an act of war, BUT as far as I know, the Ukraine never returned fire into Russia.
I think that the Russians are mainly the aggressors too, and that Ukranians being shelled and invaded by Russians would be under the impression that there is a war going on. Russia invaded the Ukraine, and Ukrainians did fight back, even if they did not invade Russia.
Occupying half a country and military violence is usually seen as the things that define war.

I can't remember the original discussion that led to this particular thread of conversation, but if it was that Ukraine was once a country that had access to nuclear weapons for themselves before being persuaded by America and the West to give them up as a means of preventing nuclear proliferation, a half a country later, it is not looking like a good decision for them.

Juvenile or not, North Korea understands the benefits of being nuclear, even as the rest of us still understand the dangers of nuclear proliferation.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I think that the Russians are mainly the aggressors too, and that Ukranians being shelled and invaded by Russians would be under the impression that there is a war going on.
Impression or no, it's not a war unless both sides are fighting. The Ukraine never shelled Russia.

Upvote 0

Favourofone

Dec 28, 2017
Stockhol
✟18,322.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Impression or no, it's not a war unless both sides are fighting. The Ukraine never shelled Russia.

There has been casualties on both sides, Russian troops and equipment is keeping their proxy rebels in power, but everyone involved is bleeding.

Of course Ukraine hasn’t attacked Russian territory. There are quicker ways to commit suicide. Whatever it is a war or not is purely up to your interpretation.

I believe Russians called the costly invasion of Finland 1939 long time as reconnaissance in force.

Upvote 0

Favourofone

Dec 28, 2017
Stockhol
✟18,322.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While Ukraine had physical control of the weapons, it did not have operational control, as they were dependent on Russian-controlled electronic Permissive Action Links and the Russian command and control system.

With resources of a nation behind them I am sure they could have converted a portion of the physical weapons to fit their needs if they had perceived Russian threat better.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
With resources of a nation behind them I am sure they could have converted a portion of the physical weapons to fit their needs if they had perceived Russian threat better.
1. Your point is irrelevant.
2. You don't even know that.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think Donald is crazy like a fox.

Exactly..........

Why Picking Mitt Romney for Secretary of State Might Be a Genius Move

And, if the rumors are true, Trump's IQ (according to researchers, it's a 156) would place him among the top 0.1 percent of people in the world. Again, if it's true, then only about one in 4,300 people in the world is as smart as the president-elect.

Judging from the moves he's made so far, I'm inclined to agree with the assessments, even if it puts me in an awkward place with the rest of my politically connected evangelical friends.

Reactions: dreadnought
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
In March 2015, Novaya Gazeta published an interview with a Russian soldier, Dorzhi Batomunkuev, who operated a tank in the Battle of Debaltseve and was wounded. He confirmed that the tanks came from his military unit in Ulan-Ude in Russia and that his unit "painted over the serial numbers and unit signs straight away on the rail platforms". In November 2014, Batomunkuev was sent as a conscript to Rostov-on-Don, where he became a contract soldier. Traveling by train with his unit from Ulan-Ude, Batomunkuev said he saw "plenty of such trains" travelling along with them "day after day". After three months at Kosminskiy training facility, their unit of 31 tanks and 300 soldiers in total (mostly Buryats) was given an order to move on 8 February 2015 and crossed the Ukrainian border in the night, arriving in Donetsk in the morning. They took part in the battle on 12–14 February.[343][344][345] Joseph Kobzon met Batomunkuev in the same hospital a few days before the NG interview.[346] In 2016 Alexander Minakov, another Russian soldier wounded in the battle of Debaltseve, was awarded a medal "For services to the Fatherland".[347]

• Informative
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Do you define war solely by the fact that bombs are used?
I define international war solely by the fact that two nation states are retaliating against one another in a relatively equal fashion. If one state simply invades the other, and there is no serious backlash, then it's not a war.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I define international war solely by the fact that two nation states are retaliating against one another in a relatively equal fashion. If one state simply invades the other, and there is no serious backlash, then it's not a war.

I think you might find that in the case of the Ukraine, in very recent times, mortars, heavy machine gun fire and anti-tank weapons have been used by both sides. My FB friend used to ask why no one in the outside world was showing any interest in the battles that were going. I haven't heard from him for several months, so I do not know his fate.

The same 'turning a blind eye' has happened in the Yemen war, now several years old!

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Idk. If you watch interviews with Trump like 20 years ago, he's a very eloquent and intelligent man. He didn't turn 1 million into several billion by being dumb. He's playing stupid for a reason, but the question is, why?
Honestly, I believe Donald trump is creating an attitude in the world that....
World rulers who act like north Korea, are no longer given the opportunity to get away with that type of behavior. He is willing to engage them on a diplomatic level, but......You wanna play bully, nutty etc.....Game on...Kinda like the bully in the schoolyard which just will not stop until.....some other kid socks it to them in kind, or is known to be capable of doing so. Then the bully knows bullying will no longer work for them. Elementary my dear Watson....LOL

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I think you might find that in the case of the Ukraine, in very recent times, mortars, heavy machine gun fire and anti-tank weapons have been used by both sides. My FB friend used to ask why no one in the outside world was showing any interest in the battles that were going. I haven't heard from him for several months, so I do not know his fate.
And I think the Ukraine deliberately did not progress further than that, and ultimately gave in to the demands, because it did not want war with Russia.

Upvote 0