what is this called in the field of programming?

Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there a term for it? A programmer told me once that there is the actual coding language and then a separate thing that some make out aside from the code that gives other programmers tips and notes on how the coding was done etc.

anyone?

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There several answers. First, all programming languages let you intersperse comments with the code. They are used to explain things that might not be obvious when just looking at the code. Second, there are often separate design documents that describe the overall organization of the program, major data structures, etc. for complex projects there can be a variety of documentation. E.g testing plans and the results of tests. Also, some comments aren’t just narration, but have a specific structure. E.g. there may be structured comments for every function, with a brief description of its parameters and what it does. There are tools that will pick those comments out of the code and turn them into a separate document.

for a big project there can be people whose only job is to track the documents.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Is there a term for it? A programmer told me once that there is the actual coding language and then a separate thing that some make out aside from the code that gives other programmers tips and notes on how the coding was done etc.

anyone?

Decades ago, when I learned to code in BASIC, we used the term REM to indicate that the following text was a comment (a REMark) and not actionable code. It was typically used to explain what was going on in the program where this was not obvious.

OB

• Informative
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Decades ago, when I learned to code in BASIC, we used the term REM to indicate that the following text was a comment (a REMark) and not actionable code. It was typically used to explain what was going on in the program where this was not obvious.

OB

Interesting.

I wonder if it is analogous to dream.

Ha ha...REM sleep.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

anyone?
// good code has comments, sometimes at the end of a line or as an introduction to a section.
# a comment has a leader so the compiler knows to skip the comment and not choke on it.
// sometimes I believe compiler ignores all my comments

Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

anyone?

Sometimes programmers will put comments/notes in the programming .... this is called commenting out. Used for "notes" and/or as an aid to disable portions of programming to "debug" it.

Comment-out definitions. To disable lines of code in a program by surrounding them with comment-start and comment-stop characters. Also called "remmed out." To temporarily disable a section of source code by converting it into a comment.

so the term used is comment out or remmed out.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
in Visual Studio C# / .NET, if you start a function with "///" you're get a "form" you can fill out

/// <summary>
/// This is what the function will do
/// </summary>
/// <param name="context">What SendObject Is</param>
/// <param name="rootNodes">What the List of Strings should be</param>
/// <returns>What I'm going to return to you</returns>
public MyObject MyCall(SendObject context, list<string> data)

Then when you call the function in code (either from a Nuget package or elsewhere in the code) With Intellisense enabled when you type the Function MyCall, it will have a popup window that will show the Summery , what the values should be.

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Intellisense (code tips when you start "typing" the actual code in an IDE - integrated development environment...basically an editor that gives your tips and helps with compiling the code and some other stuff), code metrics (a tool that scans the code and gives tips on how to optimize, robust, or secure your code), and intermediate language (IL) which translates a 4g language down to 3g or lower levels of abstraction like assembly (.NET and Java both produce a IL binary).

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟28,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I cannot stress the importance of leaving good commentary in your code, not only for the sake of others who may read it later but also for yourself. I can't tell you how many times I've been lazy and thought it was obvious what my code was doing only to come back to it later and have no idea what in the world my code is supposed to be doing.

You can also use comments to disable sections of code if your program is behaving unexpectedly and you need to isolate the problem.

Upvote 0