Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What is necessary is living Apostles and Prophets, who are receiving their information directly from Jesus Christ and the HS. Not from a bible commentary company.

Following mere men who are following Joseph Smith and another Jesus is not following Christ. Those men aren't being taught by the Holy Spirit; if they were, they wouldn't contradict the Bible.

Matthew 24
4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

2 Peter 2
1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Just keep in mind that followers of Jesus deserve to be called Christians.

Christians ought to be called Christians. However, Mormons didn't consider Christians to be true Christians. Now many Mormons are calling anyone who claims to be a Christian a Christian. It is obvious to many of us that standing in a garage, doesn't make a person an automobile.

Again respectfully, followers of Jesus know Him and are being taught truth by the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Following mere men who are following Joseph Smith and another Jesus is not following Christ. Those men aren't being taught by the Holy Spirit; if they were, they wouldn't contradict the Bible.

Matthew 24
4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

2 Peter 2
1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Christians ought to be called Christians. However, Mormons didn't consider Christians to be true Christians. Now many Mormons are calling anyone who claims to be a Christian a Christian. It is obvious to many of us that standing in a garage, doesn't make a person an automobile.

Again respectfully, followers of Jesus know Him and are being taught truth by the Holy Spirit.
Mere men instituted your religion and wrote the creeds you give as much power to as if the were attached to the bible. Don't point fingers

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mere men instituted your religion and wrote the creeds you give as much power to as if the were attached to the bible. Don't point fingers

It isn't wrong to point out errors based on what I know about the Bible. Mormons starting indoctrinating very young children as early(or earlier) as they start Primary. You should defend your beliefs instead of telling me not to point fingers. This isn't about you; this isn't about me. Why can't we stick to a discussion about religion? Let's get back to the topic. I don't place mere men on a pedestal --- I compare what they say to the what the Bible says.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Mormons starting indoctrinating very young children as early(or earlier) as they start Primary.
LDS start teaching their children about Christ as a very young age, yes. Mainstream Christians do this as well-- it's a vey good thing :)
You should defend your beliefs instead of telling me not to point fingers. .
This statement is extremely hypocritical.
I don't place mere men on a pedestal
Such as Calvin?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
JS did not call them non-Christians, that is the topic here.
He did call them apostate, and their creeds and professors were corrupt, because over the centuries of debate and argument, they lost the true interpretation of the scriptures and added and substracted from the scriptures and hence they lost the true doctrine of Jesus Christ.

But even though they lost the true doctrine, they are still Christians, because they simply do follow Christ.

Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit forever. They haven't lost His doctrine. If a person follows Christ, he belongs to Christ. Without the Spirit, he won't follow Christ. Mormons decided to call us Christians, even though your parents and/or grandparents said we were Gentiles.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
JS did not call them non-Christians, that is the topic here.
He did call them apostate, and their creeds and professors were corrupt, because over the centuries of debate and argument, they lost the true interpretation of the scriptures and added and substracted from the scriptures and hence they lost the true doctrine of Jesus Christ.

But even though they lost the true doctrine, they are still Christians, because they simply do follow Christ.
"Apostate" means that they are turned away from Christianity, so he IS calling them non-Christians by calling them apostates. It's amazing to me that you would misunderstand this.

For example, if I say that a fake Gucci handbag is a "fake Gucci handbag", I'm NOT acknowledging it as a "Gucci handbag" because the adjective "fake" negates the veracity of it being an actual Gucci handbag. Likewise, when Joseph Smith (or anyone) calls Christians "apostates" that very adjective NEGATES the reality of their being Christians.

The proof lies further in the fact that Joseph Smith never ever called anyone a "Christian" outside of mormonism except when he'd call it 'so-called Christianity' or something to that effect (again with the use of adjectives to negate the reality of their being Christians). The proof lies further in JS's allegation that Christians' beliefs were "corrupt", another adjective that completely negates the validity of others' (non-mormons') Chrisitianity.

If I'm wrong, feel free to show me where Joseph Smith acknowledged any non-mormons as actual Christians. But I'm sure I'll get no response on that.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you for the respect.

And I would return the favor by saying, respectfully, you can have it both ways. It is because of that respect that I call you a Christian, even though I feel you do not fully understand the gospel of Jesus Christ. If you truly respect me, you would call me a Christian, even though you think I do not understand the gospel of Jesus Christ.

You can be a follower of Christ, even though you make some mistakes about him and his doctrines. If is difficult to navigate all the hundreds of NT translations. It is difficult to translate from the Greek and Hebrew and Aramaic languages and get the right nuances of the first century Christians so as to know exactly what they are meaning, so it is easy to get off track.

What is necessary is living Apostles and Prophets, who are receiving their information directly from Jesus Christ and the HS. Not from a bible commentary company.

Just keep in mind that followers of Jesus deserve to be called Christians.
You can be a follower of Christ AND an apostate?

First time I'v heard a mormon assert that. So apostates don't get thrown into spirit jail?

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single

First time I'v heard a mormon assert that. So apostates don't get thrown into spirit jail?

Spirit Prison is a catch-all for *anyone* who dun goofed in life or otherwise had issues going on to learn or re-learn what they need to know.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Spirit Prison is a catch-all for *anyone* who dun goofed in life or otherwise had issues going on to learn or re-learn what they need to know.

Like drivers ed?

Drivers-Ed-730x487.jpg

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
"Spirit Prison"? Never heard of it... Are you being serious or tongue in cheek?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"Spirit Prison"? Never heard of it... Are you being serious or tongue in cheek?

Because Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God; being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; in which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison, that aforetime were disobedient, when the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water (1 Peter 3:18-20).

However, Mormons screwed that one up!

Mormon Plan_of_Salvation Illustration.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

i ain't scared! That was for the wicked who were before Christ.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Because Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God; being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; in which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison, that aforetime were disobedient, when the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water (1 Peter 3:18-20).

However, Mormons screwed that one up!

View attachment 241319
Oh, OK, that's why I've never heard of it... thanks.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Romans 6
1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

In the end of a believer's life, what is his reward?

The saved will have everlasting-eternal life living in perfect harmony with our loving God without nothing bad whatsoever. No sin! Amen! What a reward!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Kind of off-topic, but here's another phrase that they use which might throw you off:

"Saviors on Mount Zion"
Chapter 41: Becoming Saviors on Mount Zion

The phrase is in the Bible but doesn't relate to proxy work for the dead!

Obadiah 1
20 And the captivity of this host of the children of Israel shall possess that of the Canaanites, even unto Zarephath; and the captivity of Jerusalem, which is in Sepharad, shall possess the cities of the south.
21 And saviours shall come up on mount Zion to judge the mount of Esau; and the kingdom shall be the LORD'S.

Upvote 0