What is the purpose of establishing rules you don't enforce?

Ing Bee

Son of Encouragement
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2018
East Bay
✟78,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But, my question still remains: Why make a rule (which he makes) and not enforce it? Where is the value to the community? It seems like it will only breed animosity among sheep and pastors. Some thinking others are too obedient and others thinking that those who aren't obedient aren't doing their jobs they were hired to do. And, the sheep suffering from a mixed set of standards that depends on who is your pastor, since the bishop doesn't enforce the rules he sets.
Brother, I understand. I'm sorry for the pressure and distress you are experiencing. I agree completely with your assessment. Such rules (and their haphazard enforcement) are NOT GOOD.

Thre final thoughts to hopefully encourage you:
  1. I trust that the words of James 1:2-4 will prove true in your life:
    Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
    Ask the Father how he wants to use this in your life to make you mature and complete
  2. It's Jesus's Kingdom, not the bishops or yours. Ultimately you are responsible to him. "Cast your anxiety on him because he cares for you" (1 Peter 5:7)
  3. Prayerfully consider which of the following actions you might take:
  • Doing what your bishop said to do (despite the discomfort) and talk to the other pastor candidly.
  • Respectfully tell your bishop that you are not comfortable reprimanding a superior and ask him to do it instead.
  • Step down from your position to prevent a "root of bitterness" from destroying your joy in Christ.
I will pray for you.

Ing Bee

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I
Brother, I understand. I'm sorry for the pressure and distress you are experiencing. I agree completely with your assessment. Such rules (and their haphazard enforcement) are NOT GOOD.

Thre final thoughts to hopefully encourage you:
  1. I trust that the words of James 1:2-4 will prove true in your life:
    Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
    Ask the Father how he wants to use this in your life to make you mature and complete
  2. It's Jesus's Kingdom, not the bishops or yours. Ultimately you are responsible to him. "Cast your anxiety on him because he cares for you" (1 Peter 5:7)
  3. Prayerfully consider which of the following actions you might take:
  • Doing what your bishop said to do (despite the discomfort) and talk to the other pastor candidly.
  • Respectfully tell your bishop that you are not comfortable reprimanding a superior and ask him to do it instead.
  • Step down from your position to prevent a "root of bitterness" from destroying your joy in Christ.
I will pray for you.

Ing Bee

I appreciate all your thoughts and they are certainly very valid Scriptural instructions.

I think many have misunderstood my intentions here. I just don't understand why have a rule if you aren't going to enforce it. I certainly understand exceptions to enforcement as some have shared. I was never talking about valid exceptions. I was talking about routine practice. If in general, we aren't going to enforce a community-wide rule, why put some kids under the more restrictive constraints of that rule--simply based on which adults are being obedient to the authority with regards to that community-wide rule they established?

It isn't about me following or not. I am following, because it is not unethical or illegal, and therefore before God I don't believe we have a right to choose not to obey whatever we don't want to. My concern all along is for those who are underneath me. They have to endure a stricter set of personal standards (not all of which I agree with), because I am being obedient.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I

I appreciate all your thoughts and they are certainly very valid Scriptural instructions.

I think many have misunderstood my intentions here. I just don't understand why have a rule if you aren't going to enforce it. I certainly understand exceptions to enforcement as some have shared. I was never talking about valid exceptions. I was talking about routine practice. If in general, we aren't going to enforce a community-wide rule, why put some kids under the more restrictive constraints of that rule--simply based on which adults are being obedient to the authority with regards to that community-wide rule they established?

It isn't about me following or not. I am following, because it is not unethical or illegal, and therefore before God I don't believe we have a right to choose not to obey whatever we don't want to. My concern all along is for those who are underneath me. They have to endure a stricter set of personal standards (not all of which I agree with), because I am being obedient.

Why is that a problem if the rule is not unethical or illegal?

When I was the superintendent of a military training facility, I required my supervisors to adhere to the dress and grooming standards more strictly than the average troop (as also do military honor guard units).

This was not a problem.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is that a problem if the rule is not unethical or illegal?

When I was the superintendent of a military training facility, I required my supervisors to adhere to the dress and grooming standards more strictly than the average troop (as also do military honor guard units).

This was not a problem.

I think you are still missing the point, RDKirk. This example isn't anything I would have a problem with. You as the one in charge held your supervisors to a stricter standard. I would do the same. If they can't do the expectations themselves, they shouldn't be enforcing them on the others, right? Isn't expecting something of others that you don't do yourself what Jesus defined as hypocrisy?

And, they in turn should be managing their troop, not you. I get that. I have military experience.

You keep trying to find the exception to the rule, rather than understanding why there is a set standard and rules within a local community who see each other regularly.

If you set a standard for your supervisors and you didn't routinely enforce that standard (even if it was only calling them out when they didn't meet them or privately counseling the one who didn't meet them), then you really didn't have standards.

Same for me. If I tell a boy to clean the bathroom and I establish standards for how he is supposed to clean, he will inevitably not meet my standards. I can manage by walking around or manage from my office. That in itself will determine the level of successful training I do. But, assuming I am managing from walking around (which I actually call supervision), and I am confronted with a standard that is not met, I can do two things (1) bring the deficiencies to the attention of the student in a constructive manner, so they can fix them that time and improve in future iterations of that chore (which I call effective supervision) or (2) I can do nothing--which in practice is no result is no different than the person who doesn't check, because, in reality/practice, I just created a whole new and lower standard.

I can certainly not check every chore every day. It doesn't make me any less responsible for the cleaning that is expected by my superiors or the state, if I don't check it. And, if I don't get the child to fix he chore or fix the chore myself, I bare the responsibility for cleaning, the child doesn't.

But, people on other cottages don't have to clean like my students clean. They aren't all cleaning together that they would know the difference in standards. But, things that are standards that are supposed to be in effect for when we are all together, should be enforced. Otherwise, they shouldn't exist, because in practice they really don't. So, when people complain about what the students do or don't do, I can only sit back and say that if the very people complaining enforced what they claim to be their standards--including enforcement of the rules they profess should exist and be enforced community wide--they wouldn't be complaining about the lack of results they see in practice. I guess in short, my analysis is weak/ineffective supervision results in a lack of effective/consistent standards.

Upvote 0