What is the prophetic nature of the name 'Barnabas'?

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Acts 4:36. And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus.

The name Barnabas means "son of prophecy, or son of the prophet".
Why then is his name being interpreted "The son of consolation"?

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Acts 4:36. And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus.

The name Barnabas means "son of prophecy, or son of the prophet".
Why then is his name being interpreted "The son of consolation"?
Oxford dictionary defines the word "prophet" as 'a person regarded as an inspired teacher or proclaimer of the will of God."

I think this is a very Biblical definition. The observation you make is very interesting and it seems to me that teaching or proclaiming the will of God is not very different from encouraging or providing consolation.

This meaning of "prophet" is the same in the OT & NT. In both testaments, false prophets are those who pretend to teach or proclaim the will of God while actually deviating from the Truth.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
1 Corinthians 14:
Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.
2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.
3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.
4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies
is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

Upvote 0