What is the main reason for you to Oppose evolutionary theory?

Your #1 reason to oppose evolutionary theory

• It's Bad Science (inspite of what the major universities say)

• It leads people away from God (inspite of the majority of TE's here)

• It causes immorality / society's breakdown / family breakdown

• I am not against it, it's just that I am not convinced of it (my mind is open)

• I have always been told to oppose it, and I don't question my opposition

• Other reasons

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Late_Cretaceous

<font color="#880000" ></font&g
Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
It is not a rejection of philosophy, I agree, but it seems to be an exaltation of science.

Well it is an exaltation of science, absolutely. I belived that all phenomenon in nature can be described by naturalistic explanations. We live in a material word, therefore material explanations can be found for all we see. The scientific method is the best way to go about discovering the reality of nature.

Many people see that philosophy as anti God or anti religion. I, however feel exactly the opposite. God, in my view, created reatity and nature. By discovering how nature works we are by no means diminishing God - in fact scientific discovery is a testament to His creative power. The more we know about the universe the more majestic we realize that it is. I feel privelged to live in a time when we can know so much about our world.

I realize that science does not always get it right, and that there is a lot of bias ingrained into it. But we work with the tools God gave us.

All people are biased. Humanism is a philosophy.
Agreed

Evolution, in a macro-sense, is not a science as it cannot be observed and repeated

Well if thats the case then sciences like plate techtonics and astronomy are real science either. If that was the case only things like laboratory chemistry would be science. Experimental science is not the only science.

Macro evolution (speciation) has been observed BTW

(have you read the works of Popper and his critique of Freud - it applies to Darwin as well, IMO). It is a philosophy of thought.

I have not read this, but evolutionary theory is not a philosophy of thought - it is an explanation of one small part of the natural world

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Late_Cretaceous said:
Well it is an exaltation of science, absolutely. I belived that all phenomenon in nature can be described by naturalistic explanations.

Then you are not one who believes in pure evolution then. Pure evolution states abiogenesis. That life at one point came from non-life. This is not natural. Life does not come from non-life. It is a miracle. A miracle of what I am not sure, but evolution postulates this is so.

We live in a material word, therefore material explanations can be found for all we see. The scientific method is the best way to go about discovering the reality of nature.

In general, I agree. However, I do not discount a special creation (rather than life from non-life) by God, and I do not discount miracles.

Many people see that philosophy as anti God or anti religion. I, however feel exactly the opposite. God, in my view, created reatity and nature. By discovering how nature works we are by no means diminishing God - in fact scientific discovery is a testament to His creative power.

With this I agree. Though I believe God created the world the way He said He did. 6 days.

The more we know about the universe the more majestic we realize that it is. I feel privelged to live in a time when we can know so much about our world.

Agreed.

I realize that science does not always get it right, and that there is a lot of bias ingrained into it. But we work with the tools God gave us.

The Bible being one of those tools. He did not leave us blind in the world!

Macro evolution (speciation) has been observed BTW

Speciation has been observed. One species becoming another species has not been observed. In fact, any animal becoming more complex through evolution has NEVER been observed, which means that goo-to-you-via-the-zoo is impossible.

I have not read this, but evolutionary theory is not a philosophy of thought - it is an explanation of one small part of the natural world

And if by evolution you mean a man came from a rock, it is a false, unscientific explanation.

Cheers,
|ZZ|

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Zzub said:
Then you are not one who believes in pure evolution then. Pure evolution states abiogenesis. That life at one point came from non-life. This is not natural. Life does not come from non-life. It is a miracle. A miracle of what I am not sure, but evolution postulates this is so.

Ole' Granddaddy Sharar used to brew something 100% pure out in the apple orchards, and if you drank it, some evolutin' surely would take place.

Seriously, pure evolution?

Evolutionary theory begins with the existance of life as a base assumption. It describes and predicts only the diversity of life, not the origins of life.

Abiogenesis is a theory that deals with the origins of life, and as I understand it, it is not established or widely accepted within mainstream science. In otherwords, the judge is still out in this particular case.

Evolutionary theory does not need abiogenesis; if abiogenesis is falsified, evolutionary theory is not falsified.

Can you supply one credible, non-creationist (ie AiG) source that states that evolutionary theory is predicated upon the theory of abiogenesis?

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Zzub said:
I will find one. His books are at work though, and I am at home this evening...

In addition to this, evolution still requires an increase in information. Something that has never been observed.

Cheers,
|ZZ|

Don't forget when you get to work. It really is my understanding that abiogenesis is another topic altogether.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Zzub said:
I will find one. His books are at work though, and I am at home this evening...

In addition to this, evolution still requires an increase in information. Something that has never been observed.

Cheers,
|ZZ|
Don't bother bringing up the information argument unless you have a solid definition for information to present. Without one you'll just get hit with the same stopping block that creationists have come up against for ages now and your argument will appear half-baked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kenneth558

Believer in the Invisible
Aug 1, 2003
Omaha, NE
Visit site
✟19,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I said bad science even though I really mean blind science. To the extent that science is more interested in scientific method than truth, it really is not bad science, just blind. You see, supernatural intervention is not scientific even though it may be, and is, truth.

That said however, to the extent that scientists refuse to acknowledge the genetic impossibility of evolution, it is most certainly bad science.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
kenneth558 said:
I said bad science even though I really mean blind science. To the extent that science is more interested in scientific method than truth, it really is not bad science, just blind. You see, supernatural intervention is not scientific even though it may be, and is, truth.

That said however, to the extent that scientists refuse to acknowledge the genetic impossibility of evolution, it is most certainly bad science.

Genetic impossibility? In what way?

Upvote 0

Late_Cretaceous

Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
Then you are not one who believes in pure evolution then.

I dont know what PURE evolution is. I accept that evolutionary theory is an excellent explanation.

Pure evolution states abiogenesis.

Wrong. Unless you have a source of course.
Abiogenesis and evolution are two separate but related thoeries. Evolution is not dependant upon abiogenesis. Evolution would occur even if the first life had been put here by magic.

That life at one point came from non-life.

What exactly is the boundry between life and non life. Is a virus alive? That is debatable even among biologists. Is the DNA in your cells alive? IF you look closely the boundry between what is alive and not is very fuzzy.

This is not natural.

I think that abiogenesis is natural.
Life does not come from non-life. It is a miracle.

What, God isn't talented enough to make matter that can become alive all by itself? Give Him some credit. God created nature, why can't a naturalistic explanation in of itself be seen as a miracle?

A miracle of what I am not sure, but evolution postulates this is so.

Again, evolution would happen no matter how life got started so it is not dependant upon abiogeneiss.

YOur problem seems to be not with evolutioin, but with abiogenesis.

Why can't God endow his creation (matter and engery) with the inate ability to interact in such a way as to make life arise natrually.

I view nature itself as a miracle, not something separate from God. If something occurs natually, that does not diminish God in any way. Quite the opposite actually. Naturalistic explanations are testament to God's creative abilities.

It all depends on if you see God as a micro manager or not.

Upvote 0

Late_Cretaceous

Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
Speciation has been observed. One species becoming another species has not been observed.

You contradict youself. Speciation is the generation of new species from existing species and you are right it has been observed.

In fact, any animal becoming more complex through evolution has NEVER been observed,

It is a fallacy that evolution stipulates increasing complexity. Evolution means change nothing more. Besides, are our bodies more complex then a salamanders'?

which means that goo-to-you-via-the-zoo is impossible.

Doesn't the bible say man was formed from dirt. What is goo but wet dirt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
And none of those disagreements were disagreements about "philosophical implications". Evolution as a science implies very little philosophy. While some people do make evolution philosophy, TEs don't, and we are as resistant against evolution as philosophy as any creationist is.

Upvote 0

Apollo Rhetor

Apr 19, 2003
✟15,952.00
Faith
Protestant
You seem overly hostile to me, and unfairly I believe too. Possibly, it seems, due to a misunderstanding of philosophy and an exaggerated view of the place of science in the area of knowledge.

Late_Cretaceous said:
See I provide refences for my statements.
Late_Cretaceous said:
Like what. You seem fond of making claims, but I dont see anything to back them up.

It's very interesting that you can claim a trend in my style - "seem fond of making claims [without backing them up]" - having only seem one and a bit posts from me. Barely enough for an introduction in an article in a magazine.

Regardless, here is what I said in the previous post:
tyreth said:
Late_Cretaceous said:
Would you care to point out some of these so called illogical conclusions?
Not really, not here. Innapropriate thread. Or, more precisely, I've run out of time at the moment to get into details. I did post just recently in this thread:
http://www.christianforums.com/t2865387-which-human-race-is-the-most-evolved.html

If there's one thing I've learned, it's to pick my fights so that I have time to addres them all appropriately. So I directed you to a thread where I have already committed. Evidently, you chose not to follow it and instead claim that I don't like to back up what I say.

Late_Cretaceous said:
Thats right you really don't know.
You seem to think that only experimental data is valid. Not true. Many phenomenon in nature are studied in a scientific way through observation. Ever try to study a supernova in a lab? Even so, evolution is not strictly an observational science, it is done in the lab. Microbiologists . Evolutionary algorithms also are being employed to develop new technology

Your above argument, in relation to the court case, misunderstands me. I don't think that experimental data is the only data that is valid. I'm saying when you move out of the testable, repeatable and observable (yes, I forgot observable - sorry), it moves into the realm of other fields. Such as the field of historians, or of philosophers. I accept data from other fields beyond science.

For example, the area of logic, while employed by scientists, falls squarely into the domain of philosophers. And when logical inconsistencies are found in a court case, someone may be found guilty or innocent based on this. A drawing together of the results from science and history by the laws of logic.

It is also philosophy that decides how much evidence is sufficient to render a verdict, not science.

Late_Cretaceous said:
Science does not make claims on truth. It provides explanations (which can always be falsified), that best match the data available.

Science attempts to describe reality, eg, terminal velocity. When the findings of science correspond with reality, we have found some truth. Science is ultimately to learn the fundamental laws of the universe. Here is a quote commenting on the thoughts of C.S. Lewis in Mere Christianity:

The notion of truth employed in Lewis's statement is called the correspondence theory of truth, roughly, the idea that truth is a matter of a proposition (belief, thought, statement, representation) corresponding to reality; truth obtains when reality is the way a proposition represents it to be."

Which seems to me could be applied easily to scientific propositions. Though I admit that the word 'fact' is probably more common among scientists.

Late_Cretaceous said:
We would reject it on scientific grounds, not philisophical ones. THe conclusions from the concept of common decent match the data, it doens't matter if we "like" it or not.

Fact of science: Apes and humans share anthropomorphic qualities
Extrapolation: Apes and humans share a common ancestors

Fact of science: There are changes in allele frequencies in a population over time
Extrapolation: These changes resulted in life from a simple single celled organism to what we see today

It is these extrapolations which are open to philosophers to interpret. Perhaps then this will seem clearer:
Late_Cretaceous said:
Where do you draw the line on what you accept or reject? It appears that you do so based on what personally affronts your preconceived ideas. Remember, bias is the worst enemy to anybody trying to reach a scientific conclusion.

I draw the line beyond what is reasonable and verified, and that which is inferrred and seems unreasonable. To do the latter we test such claims with the laws of logic.

Late_Cretaceous said:
tyreth said:
I don't know anything about atomic theory or Raleigh Scattering, so I wouldn't presume to write what I can or can't know through philosophy about them.
It appears you could apply the same logic to evolution.

That would only be true if I didn't know anything about evolution.

Late_Cretaceous said:
Abiogenesis and evolution are two separate but related thoeries. Evolution is not dependant upon abiogenesis. Evolution would occur even if the first life had been put here by magic.

Which if true, of course, would contradict what you earlier said about the nature of our universe:

Late_Cretaceous said:
I belived that all phenomenon in nature can be described by naturalistic explanations. We live in a material word, therefore material explanations can be found for all we see. The scientific method is the best way to go about discovering the reality of nature.

If abiogenesis occurred by "magic" then your naturalistic view of science would be invalid. Do you have an a priori objection to "magic" (aka. God) being the cause of abiogenesis, or are you open to the possibility of supernatural explanations for natural phenomena? If the latter, it seems to me that you should reject your naturalistic assumptions and be open to the miraculous (such as the resurrection of our Saviour).

Late_Cretaceous said:
What, God isn't talented enough to make matter that can become alive all by itself? Give Him some credit. God created nature, why can't a naturalistic explanation in of itself be seen as a miracle?

It's not a question of what God could do, but rather what He has done. In our world, the observable data demonstrates that life never comes from non-life.

Late_Cretaceous said:
It is a fallacy that evolution stipulates increasing complexity. Evolution means change nothing more. Besides, are our bodies more complex then a salamanders'?

Arguably. But that's not the point. Compare humans, or any of the larger living things today to their supposed single celled ancestor. We are more complex than that. And there should be progressive steps that show an increase in complexity on the way to get where we are. So Zzub's statement saying
Zzub said:
In fact, any animal becoming more complex through evolution has NEVER been observed,

is an important statement.

You can say "evolution means change nothing more" and be correct. But the Darwinian theory of evolution, as described today, requires more. It requires mutations that result in an increase in complexity, not just a change.

Zzub is saying, I believe, that the observable data shows either a plateau or a degeneration of creatures over time. This process is the inverse of what is requiered by Darwinian evolution.

One problem that people who believe life came from single celled organisms to where it is today seem to confuse is the difference between what is observed and what is not.

Natural selection, changes in allele frequencies, mutations - these all occur. Changes do occur. Species do adapt. You can argue for as long as you want for these things and I won't disagree with you - we have observational data to support it. The difference between the Darwinian model of evolution and the Creationist one is a question of direction:
* Darwinian evolution describes an increase in complexity in species over time through the mechanism of genetic mutations
* Creationist evolution describes a decrease in the diversity of a gene pool in a population as it adapts to an environment

The Creationist model shows, basically, a degeneration of a species or population over time, until diversity is lowered to a point where there is little left in the gene pool to help adaptation.

Darwinist model extrapolates from this mutations that presumably introduced more diversity into the gene pool again, allowing a climb.

Incidentally, the Creationist model corresponds to reality, while the Darwinist model extrapolates beyond what we observe.

(As a side note, when I speak of the Darwinist model I refer to the modern versions of it which include genetic mutations as a mechanism to produce diversity. I am well aware that when Darwin proposed his theory that this was not at all known or a part of it.)

Reactions: Gwenyfur
Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Fact of science: Apes and humans share anthropomorphic qualities
Extrapolation: Apes and humans share a common ancestors

still within the domain of science.

but YECists continue to extrapolation into the metaphysical with therefore we are nothing but apes.
likewise Dawkins, Dennett and company make similiar metaphysical statements that therefore mankind can not have a divine spark or a divine image because science didn't find one.
both statements are worldview level principles, not scientific ones. science stopped long before this.

Fact of science: There are changes in allele frequencies in a population over time
Extrapolation: These changes resulted in life from a simple single celled organism to what we see today

to which AiG responses with it's favorite:
pond scum to you via the zoo exciting word play phrase.
and the more radical materialists would say that this proves that no God is necessary and therefore science disproves the Christian God who both creates and sustains the universe.
equally wrong viewpoints about what science can legitimately speak about.

Upvote 0

kenneth558

Believer in the Invisible
Aug 1, 2003
Omaha, NE
Visit site
✟19,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Willtor said:
Genetic impossibility? In what way?
Every genetic step in evolution from common ancestors of, say, chimps and humans must absolutely result in a viable organism for evolution to have a snowball's chance. Include giraffes and okapis, elephants and mastodons. Etc.

It does NOT take a molecular biologist to look at the chromosomal differences between any of these organisms and see a dead organism, a dead step, WILL occur somewhere in the transition.

I am so tired of spelling out the details that I will just leave it at that. You'll have to think critically and think for yourself to see the rest of it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.