What is the main obstacle to gaining Christian faith?

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
One obstacle I suspect is that non-believers just don't believe they are loveable. And by loveable, I mean forgiveable too. And then to make that connection of being loved by God is too big a stretch. Why? Because they are blinded by sin. Sin tells them" don't believe all that baloney, just look after number one in this life, no one else cares about you. Only believe in things you can see. Let those delusional Christians believe in a happy ever after. it's all lies."
I've met enough cynical people in my life and adopted the same approach myself. "You live. You die. You're dust. get over it!"
How pessimistic! How lacking in imagination!
Lack of courage too. Lack of courage to believe in an invisible truth. "I'll be the laughing stock of all my atheistic friends if I become a Christian!"

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm struggling to find faith, and none of your reasons why really resonate with me. My main obstacle has always been lack of evidence that God exists.
The only evidence I see so far is sort of like this....
One, a lot of people claim to be Christians, could that manyg people be wrong or misguided (of course that's not a great argument for two reasons, one, that there are also a lot of people who believe in other faiths, and there's a lot of division in Christianity so that many Christians think other Christians are wrong and misguided).
Two, there are a lot of people more studied in Christianity than I am who have managed to hold on to their faith (although at least one prominent Bible scholar became agnosric in tbr course of his research)
Three, there are some Christian people who live a life that is inspiring and sets a good example that can be recognized by all (yet here again, there's examples in the other side too)
Four, time seems to have to have had a beginning, because we can not be infinitely further in the future than day 1.
So, that implies a beginning. Does a beginning imply a being or beings started that process, and does that necessarily lead to God as understood by Christianity?

So that's what I have in my corner so far. Whether it's enough, or if more will come, only time will tell.

I keep plugging away at it, with the help of online friends, local priests and a few good books

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
My main obstacle has always been lack of evidence that God exists.
I didn't get past this line MG. But I'll read the rest later. You know, you could be such an inspiration to us all if you joined the Pharisee Club! :)
No one's doubting your academic prowess, your sheer intelligence. But I think this is another reason many like yourself have an atheistic bent. You've got to let go. Let go of that part of your mind which demands evidence. Not all things can be measured. Not all problems are solved with the intellect. You need a different part of your brain for this. I think higher intelligence is a barrier to believing in God. We need to become like children. We need to pray. We need to go beyond thought. Because thought can be just big an enemy as ally.
Watch that movie on Augustine on TLT sub forum. it is about a guy who was brilliant intellectually but realised there was something missing in his life. It helped me. Not that I'm smart. Just smart enough to know I'm way dumber than people like you. But now I see this as an opportunity for receiving grace.
I think atheism is a big scam. it promotes self-sufficiency. But we all need God, whether we realise it or not.
This may sound patronising but I'm praying for you. Praying for you to overcome those doubts. My doubts have diminished but will never completely vanish. I think some doubt is actually healthy and a part of faith.
Now I'll read the rest of that post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
What does YHWH say ? >>
excerpts from biblegateway>>
"The Unbelief of the People
When Jesus had said this, he departed and hid himself from them. 37 Though he had done so many signs before them, yet they did not believe in him; 38 it was that the word spoken by the prophet Isaiah might be fulfilled:

“Lord, who has believed our report,
and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?”

39 Therefore they could not believe. For Isaiah again said,

40 “He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart,
lest they should see with their eyes and perceive with their heart,
and turn for me to heal them.”

41 Isaiah said this because he saw his glory and spoke of him. 42 Nevertheless many even of the authorities believed in him, but for fear of the Pharisees they did not confess it, lest they should be put out of the synagogue: 43 for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

Revised Standard Version (RSV)

and >> Another obstacle to people's faith,
Not only were the religious leaders AFRAID of the other religious leaders,
they also did what they could to stop others from believing,
to prevent others from entering God's Kingdom >>

"MSG
“I’ve had it with you! You’re hopeless, you religion scholars, you Pharisees! Frauds! Your lives are roadblocks to God’s kingdom. You refuse to enter, and won’t let anyone else in either."
----------

Matthew 23:9-15King James Version (KJV)

9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
King James Version (KJV)

• Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
What does YHWH say ? >>
excerpts from biblegateway>>
"The Unbelief of the People
When Jesus had said this, he departed and hid himself from them. 37 Though he had done so many signs before them, yet they did not believe in him; 38 it was that the word spoken by the prophet Isaiah might be fulfilled:

“Lord, who has believed our report,
and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?”

39 Therefore they could not believe. For Isaiah again said,

40 “He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart,
lest they should see with their eyes and perceive with their heart,
and turn for me to heal them.”

41 Isaiah said this because he saw his glory and spoke of him. 42 Nevertheless many even of the authorities believed in him, but for fear of the Pharisees they did not confess it, lest they should be put out of the synagogue: 43 for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

Revised Standard Version (RSV)

and >> Another obstacle to people's faith,
Not only were the religious leaders AFRAID of the other religious leaders,
they also did what they could to stop others from believing,
to prevent others from entering God's Kingdom >>

"MSG
“I’ve had it with you! You’re hopeless, you religion scholars, you Pharisees! Frauds! Your lives are roadblocks to God’s kingdom. You refuse to enter, and won’t let anyone else in either."
----------

Matthew 23:9-15King James Version (KJV)

9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
King James Version (KJV)
Were you a Bible in your previous life?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Were you a Bible in your previous life?
That's an unbiblical thought (there is never re-incarnation; nor anyone alive before YHWH grants them life at conception in the womb).

This life, as written in Scripture (the Bible),
we may be granted understanding of YHWH's WORD (THE BIBLE),
as He Purposes in Christ Jesus,
according to His Good Pleasure, as He Says in His Word.

Thus, true faith and trusting and relying on HIM, on HIS WORD, and not on unfaithful men,
and even not trusting in ourselves, no, never,
but trusting in Jesus' faithfulness, today, and forever,
as He grants in grace, His Wonderful Grace and Mercy.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One obstacle I suspect is that non-believers just don't believe they are loveable. And by loveable, I mean forgiveable too. And then to make that connection of being loved by God is too big a stretch. Why? Because they are blinded by sin. Sin tells them" don't believe all that baloney, just look after number one in this life, no one else cares about you. Only believe in things you can see. Let those delusional Christians believe in a happy ever after. it's all lies."
I've met enough cynical people in my life and adopted the same approach myself. "You live. You die. You're dust. get over it!"
Lack of courage too. Lack of courage to believe in an invisible truth. "I'll be the laughing stock of all my atheistic friends if I become a Christian!"

What came to mind was that many seek approval from other people, so that preempts them seeking the more real substance of that which they need, which is from God.

So, pride is the barrier.

And there is a verse like that --

"How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?"
-- John ch 5, v44

In this verse, it's that the people that don't believe are more interested in human status, popularity, glory from other people, and that fills up the place where we should seek to have our Father's approval.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
In this verse, it's that the people that don't believe are more interested in human status, popularity, glory from other people, and that fills up the place where we should seek to have our Father's approval.
Being status conscious is a big obstacle to faith development I think. It definitely was one for me and may even still play a part that I'm not aware of yet.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But then we can get caught up in the status consciousness of our Church fellowship, which could be even worse. Afraid of appearing sinful in front of others for instance.

I think this is really important to consider more, and to seek His will on, and I think you can find things you need in what He said. One thing that comes to mind, at least for me, in my own life, and it may be one part, is that we should not fear men, who can only destroy our mere bodies, but instead we should only fear God, who can destroy both body and soul. We should fear Him. Christ said.

"
...Yes, I tell you, fear Him!" (Luke ch 12)

• Winner
Reactions: Aleksandros
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aleksandros

May 17, 2017
Bangalore
✟28,296.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe that early on, these days, people are duped into a naturalistic viewpoint concerning the world and never get the ability to branch out. By the time they are old enough, they're usually already too steeply invested in it. Others are just too steeped in skepticism to think differently about their views.

Another big issue is just that for a lot of people, their mental makeup will make it incredibly difficult for them to get faith, because they feel like they have to, "jump over the mountains of scientific evidence".

Then there is the 'problem of evil', Satan's old favorite snare.

I personally believe that reading the faith filled, miraculous lives of saints is the greatest evidence for Christianity, but for those who are slow to believe and aren't good at thinking humans can actually be honest, that won't really do unless someone works a miracle right in front of them.

Example:
Louis Harms (17th century) raised $600k through prayer alone, Muller raised mountains more through the same.
Skeptics will doubt these kinds of things away, since skepticism is often like a religion.
What about psychics? Oh, they're all fake.
What about men like Augustine? Probably fables embellished by the church.
What about recent Spirit-gifted saints like St. Seraphim? Probably fables too.

And so on.

My experience is that a mountain of answered prayers flattened my ability to doubt Christianity.

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

I have one main answer for this. Pride.

A lot of people who I know are not Christian are actually filled with pride that they don't follow Jesus. A strange thing to think about from our point of view but it's true. They view the Christian life as the opposite of what is good and happy because society portrays it that way. There is so much Christian bashing EVERYWHERE and a lot of people are saying, "I'm glad I'm not Christian" as if its something to be proud of. :(

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Yes I think you're right. The problem for us Christians is that pride can turn into spiritual pride which is basically yes you guessed it, a word beginning with P, one of my favourites, in fact it should be my username ........................
Phariseeism. :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

A lot of people who I know are not Christian are actually filled with pride that they don't follow Jesus. A strange thing to think about from our point of view but it's true. They view the Christian life as the opposite of what is good and happy because society portrays it that way. There is so much Christian bashing EVERYWHERE and a lot of people are saying, "I'm glad I'm not Christian" as if its something to be proud of. :(
In Philippians 2, there is a wonderful example of the Lord Jesus having humbled Himself and been obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross. This is the great example to follow.

Reactions: derpytia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't get past this line MG. But I'll read the rest later. You know, you could be such an inspiration to us all if you joined the Pharisee Club! :)
No one's doubting your academic prowess, your sheer intelligence. But I think this is another reason many like yourself have an atheistic bent. You've got to let go. Let go of that part of your mind which demands evidence. Not all things can be measured. Not all problems are solved with the intellect. You need a different part of your brain for this. I think higher intelligence is a barrier to believing in God. We need to become like children. We need to pray. We need to go beyond thought. Because thought can be just big an enemy as ally.
Watch that movie on Augustine on TLT sub forum. it is about a guy who was brilliant intellectually but realised there was something missing in his life. It helped me. Not that I'm smart. Just smart enough to know I'm way dumber than people like you. But now I see this as an opportunity for receiving grace.
I think atheism is a big scam. it promotes self-sufficiency. But we all need God, whether we realise it or not.
This may sound patronising but I'm praying for you. Praying for you to overcome those doubts. My doubts have diminished but will never completely vanish. I think some doubt is actually healthy and a part of faith.
Now I'll read the rest of that post.
Maybe evidence isn't the best word because some take it to mean some sort of scientific evidence, something measurable, repeatable, impersonal, etc..
Perhaps instead of lack if evidence, a better example is lack of reason to believe. I expect everyone who believes has a reason (answered prayers, sense of a presence of God, maybe a supernatural experience...instead of or in addition to what might be more narrowly considered evidence)
No matter whether or not you have evidence of God, a believer likely will have a reason to believe. I'm just lumping these in as evidence.
For instance, you say we all need God. Perhaps you've seen evidence of that in your life or others.
If believers could articulate the reasons they believe, and/or the evidence they have to support their belief, perhaps that would be a more productive way to go about these. Belief, in my opinion, is the state that requires a reason, disbelief or doubt is more of the default state. People doubt because they haven't found their reason yet.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I believe Pride is the greatest block.. The Proud want to be their own master.. The proud want to believe they are not inferior to anyone... The concept of God is therefore an attack on their desires..

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I believe Pride is the greatest block.. The Proud want to be their own master.. The proud want to believe they are not inferior to anyone... The concept of God is therefore an attack on their desires..
Another one chalked up for "pride". I should've done a poll .

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
For instance, you say we all need God. Perhaps you've seen evidence of that in your life or others.
I like to use my own life as an example. When I was younger, earning big bucks, my career future looking rosey, a house soon to be bought, a partner I worshipped, I felt I had no need of God. Then when things got tough, I got depressed and fell in a hole. If I had known God better then, had paid him more attention, had realised the power of prayer and trust, I would've come through that hard time much easier. There are many times when I needed to reach out to Him, instead of ignoring Him. Its a wonder he didn't give up on me altogether but He didn't.
I've seen too, what a transformation my brother has gone through as a Pentecostal. He's high on the Lord most of the time.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Maybe evidence isn't the best word because some take it to mean some sort of scientific evidence, something measurable, repeatable, impersonal, etc..
Perhaps instead of lack if evidence, a better example is lack of reason to believe. I expect everyone who believes has a reason (answered prayers, sense of a presence of God, maybe a supernatural experience...instead of or in addition to what might be more narrowly considered evidence)
No matter whether or not you have evidence of God, a believer likely will have a reason to believe. I'm just lumping these in as evidence.
If believers could articulate the reasons they believe, and/or the evidence they have to support their belief, perhaps that would be a more productive way to go about these. Belief, in my opinion, is the state that requires a reason, disbelief or doubt is more of the default state. People doubt because they haven't found their reason yet.
I counted you used the word "evidence" 7 times in that post.
So evidence is very important to you. :)
Until you see the wounds on his feet and hands you will not believe?
How happy are those who haven't seen the wounds, yet still believe.
One thing I do suspect MG. Very few people have become transformed through Jesus Christ, after logically debating possible evidence.

Upvote 0